Winter setup help/suggestions

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I'm in the process of gathering all the parts for my winter upgrade project. Plans are to upgrade the IRS with the full boogie kit, powder coat my valve covers, visible S/C piping, timing cover, and intake. Gonna also get rid of the ugly coolant tank and just make the engine cleaner.

What I need your opinions on are my pulley choices. I just pick up a D1SC ($1200 shp'd), a 8 rib kit($150shp'd) and a IW standard size 8 rib crank pulley($300 shp'd). Question is should I have picked up a OD crank pulley or is it just as good to get a smaller S/C pulley to increase or maintain boost. D1 came with a 3.4 8rib pulley. Where would that put me boost wise and whats easier on the motor and SC to get about 15-16 lbs getting the IW OD pulley or picking up a smaller SC pulley. Im worried about over spinning the accessories too much with the OD pulley but I see a lot of guys using them.

A meth kit may also be in installed later.

Thanks

fangs99

Established Member
I like the OD pulleys... 1 because you start makeing boost sooner, and 2nd because you won't have any belt slippage issues. But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
In my case, will the 8 rib be sufficient for no/less belt slippage. Also does the OD pulley affect ur accessories too much. Wont a smaller S/C pulley make boost sooner as well. Pretty much my options are:
1. sell the standard IW pulley and get a 10% OD pulley keeping the 3.4 S/C pulley
2. Use the standard IW pulley and get a different S/C pulley (what size idk)
3. Replace the crank and S/C pulley

With the standard size pulley and a 3.4 pulley the S/C will only be spinning 54800 at 7000rpm in which i can go down to a 3.0 but will be pushing the D1 to 62100 at 7k. 3.2 will be at around 58K. Using the 10% OD pulley and the 3.4 I will be right at max impeller speed of 61,199 at 7K. Max for the D1 is 62K.

Thoughts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread