Winter driving

iwanastang

Established Member
Alright its finally time, and i am very seriously considering buying my first mustang. My biggest concern along with my dad's is the winter driving because i live in ohio. It will be my daily driver but i will be able to catch a ride with my brother durring extreme snow. I need to know though when i have to drive it in snow what is the best option. The car is a GT with a 5sp.
I am thinking about snow tires, studded tires, and or sand in the trunk. What do you guys think? Personal experience and feedback would be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot.
-Justin

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
what year? I have a 92 GT and the back end is way to damn light for snow...sometimes have problems with wet roads! i am not sure about 94 and up. My suggest for any year is make sure you feather the pedal and clutch. We rarely have snow down here but the times we have, I usualy just start in 2nd, 3.73 gear makes it easy, and downshift to slow down and not brakes.

iwanastang

Established Member
thanks for the fast response its a 2000 that im looking at, but who know im just looking right now, i know for sure its gonna be 5spd. Gt because that is my biggest criteria.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
just remeber, as I am sure you do, any rear-wheel drive car is going to have problems with traction when it snows or sometimes just rains!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Never drove my '01 Cobra in the snow, so I don't have any first-hand experience, BUT I used to drive a '70 Cyclone GT with a 351 Cleveland and a 4 speed thru NJ winters. I actually love driving in the snow...but I want to keep the salt off my Cobra. Rear wheel drive cars are a real hoot/adventure in snow...so plan on taking your time... and turning around if things are getting worse.

Couple of tips:
1) Allow a lot of stopping distance.
2) Starting and driving in higher gears helps cut down on wheel spin. Manual can be an advantage in snow if you drive it right.
3) Narrower tires are better. Snow tires are a MUST. I hear many guys swear by Blizzaks...check them out. You might want to have an extra set of narrower steel rims if you really like your aluminum summer wheels.
4) I've read that the best place to put extra weight in a Mustang is on the floor in the back seat. Reasoning is behind the axle actually lightens the front end...not a good thing. Do a search in here for some other opinions.
5) Try to stay on the inside of corners to allow for the occasional slide to the outside...gives you room to recover.
6) Watch out for "black ice"....hard to see dark patch of ice on the road (often appears after a thaw and a re-freeze)...if you are not driving perfectly straight or are on the brakes....LOOK OUT.
7) Keep an eye in your rear view mirror for the idiot who can't stop...same deal at all intersections with stop signs and traffic lights....wait to be sure all perpendicular track is in control before jumping out there. Have an escape route planned.
8) Plan your route carefully to avoid hills. (Reminds me of night my gal (now wife) and I were coming down a very steep mountain on Route 280 in NJ thru the Oranges....a night of black ice and on the mountain... near solid ice. About 100 cars stuck up against the center divider way out of control....we put our car in neutral and SLOWLY coasted down the mountain in full control. No problemo.) Once actually threw my car into reverse coming down a very icy hill to avoid going through an intersection....not a recommended course of action, but it worked. Others weren't so skilled (er...lucky).
9) Carry a shovel, flares, sand and a cell phone...rations for 5 days (just kidding)

This is probably more than you wanted to hear, but may be useful info... good luck. Enjoy your new ride.

Users who are viewing this thread