Winter buildup

genoapb

Established Member
Well its winter here and ive only had the cobra for about a month but its time to start modifying it for next summer. Im planning to start in the rear end then ill look into control arms for the rear and move onto the rest of the suspension. Im going to using the car mostly for cruising and straight line racing. Im leaning towards 4.30's for gears and and the ford racing 31 spline traction lock diff. along with 31 spline axles and a girdle. Is this setup going to be strong enough to withstand slicks with a shot of nitrous and a suspension that im hoping will hook hard when im done? Since im starting with the rear end, I just want to get the right parts now even though it will be overkill for awhile. Can someone shoot me a link, where I can get the best prices on these rear end parts? Then, once I start adding suspension parts like drag springs and shocks/struts. What can I expect it to handle like on the street? If I get the adjustable shocks/struts will I be able to adjust them for better handling on the street. A lightweight K member, a arms and coil over kit will also be on the list further down the road so would I be able to buy the front coil overs and use them on the stock k member and arms until I get the aftermarket k member and arms? Should I also go with coil overs in the back or just springs and shocks? Im pretty new to these cars and this site so please bare with me. Sorry for all the questions but ive been reading and searching the site for awhile now and I find some of my questions just arent answered clear enough without starting a new thread. Thanks

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Sounds like a good setup, those parts you mentioned will work well. I would suggest a limited slip, I dont know if that trac tock is a locker, but no good on the street. For handling on the street, you would be fine with 70/30 from lakewood, just make sure you keep your swaybars in until you get to the track. I had my swaybars off and its no fun driving through windy roads. You either have a drag setup or a street setup, but you can cheat by using both. Like the 70/30's with aftermarket sway bars that you use unless you are at the track

Being new here is fun, I was new once and I have learned a butt load. You get experience by asking questions and listening to the answeres whether good or bad, and by putting parts on yourself. good luck with the project!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I added my inputs in red.
-Kyle

"Well its winter here and ive only had the cobra for about a month but its time to start modifying it for next summer. Im planning to start in the rear end then ill look into control arms for the rear and move onto the rest of the suspension. Im going to using the car mostly for cruising and straight line racing. Im leaning towards 4.30's for gears and and the ford racing 31 spline traction lock diff. along with 31 spline axles and a girdle. Is this setup going to be strong enough to withstand slicks with a shot of nitrous and a suspension that im hoping will hook hard when im done? absolutely Since im starting with the rear end, I just want to get the right parts now even though it will be overkill for awhile. Can someone shoot me a link, where I can get the best prices on these rear end parts? Then, once I start adding suspension parts like drag springs and shocks/struts. What can I expect it to handle like on the street? It's not gonna be a Porsche in the turns, but you'll get used to it and adjust. It won't be too bad. If I get the adjustable shocks/struts will I be able to adjust them for better handling on the street. yes A lightweight K member, a arms and coil over kit will also be on the list further down the road so would I be able to buy the front coil overs and use them on the stock k member and arms until I get the aftermarket k member and arms? Yes, but coilovers can often be very noisy. You may wanna look into AJE's K-member setup with spring-perches for a factory-like setup that still launches hard with a good strut/spring combo. Should I also go with coil overs in the back or just springs and shocks? no, it's not at all needed. A good drag-spring or FMS B-spring with a 50/50 or adjustable shock sitting on a good set of control arms will do wonders. Im pretty new to these cars and this site so please bare with me. Sorry for all the questions but ive been reading and searching the site for awhile now and I find some of my questions just arent answered clear enough without starting a new thread. Thanks." Good luck!

genoapb

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the info and advice. One thing I probably should have been more clear about is. Im willing to sacrifice streetability for straight line performance.
Yes, but coilovers can often be very noisy. You may wanna look into AJE's K-member setup with spring-perches for a factory-like setup that still launches hard with a good strut/spring combo.
Suggestions like in the quote are exactly what I was hoping for. If I can still achieve the same drag performance from a more streetable part, im all for it but if the coil overs will launch harder or offer alot of weight savings. Then im all for listening to some extra noise. Basically I just want to be able to actually drive it on the street without it being dangerous, I wont be trying to carve corners or anything but the main concern being track performance out of the parts I install. Thanks

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
In that case, yes, coilovers/A-arms will benefit you with wieght-savings, but they are gonna cost more, and whether the benefits outwiegh the costs is debatable.

Users who are viewing this thread