Winter beater ideas?

f4sfed

Established Member
I'm trying to decide whether to do the winter beater thing, and I think you guys have me convinced. However now I'm having trouble figuring out what to get. So I have an idea:

Race a ricer for pink slips, and the first one to come along is what I'm drivin' this winter. ;-)

Whadaya think? :lol:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Here are my potential winter rides:

*91-95 TototaMR2 Turbo: Rear wheel drive, very fast, economical, handles awesome

*Ford Focus: I heard these cars are kinda fun to drive

*Toyota 4 wheel drive truck,,,very reliable, fun in the snow!!

*I would like to get a Ford Expedition just because they hold a lot of cargo and do very well off road.

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan

*91-95 TototaMR2 Turbo: Rear wheel drive, very fast, economical, handles awesome

*I would like to get a Ford Expedition just because they hold a lot of cargo and do very well off road.

Yea...I'm thinkin' since it'll be a winter beater, I'd like it to be 4 wheel drive. I like the toyota idea. Here I come www.autotrader.com!

Blades

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan

see sig.. Cool car it just has to be shipped down here from massachusetts (im in florida now).. I have a video of the interior, the exterior, and the fold down seats.. You interested? Its a very nice truck and can be optioned up the ying-yang.. Not to mention it has a nicer ride than the lincoln becuase of the lack of air-ride.

rtking

Established Member
Winter Beater

Naw... get yourself a used Audi 4000 Quattro. I think they can be had for around $1,200 or so for a decent one. These cars are amazing and darn-near unstoppable in the snow.

Don't forget that you'll pay dirt-cheap insurance for this car. Plus for $1,200... if it makes it through 2 winters, you're just about even!

Bob

f4sfed

Established Member
rtking: Excellent idea! Thanks!

dougwg: Z06....Hmmm 12" lift kit....monster mudders.... it has potential.

Brad

Banned
Any 4x4 under 2k is a winter beater, any 4x4 over 2k is a winter car, I have a beater:-D

rtking

Established Member
Here's a "beater" Audi 4000Q for $1190

4sfed:

Just thought I'd search a bit on Traderonline... and I found you this 1984 Audi 4000 Quattro in San Diego, CA for $1,190 or best offer. (Of course, since it's OBO, don't offer $1,190!)

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...00&advcd_on=n&advanced=n&color=&car_year=1984

The cool thing (if it's a California car) is that it's rust free. The bad thing is it's about 1800 miles away from you!

I'm sure you can find something much closer for the same money! Good luck!

Bob

03DOHC

Established Member
I was thinking a sentra would make a crappy beater. Sounds perfect!:thumbsup:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I picked up a '93 Ford Taurus GL with 95,000 miles in EXCELLENT condition. Not a mark on the body, good rubber, brakes, etc. Had obviously been garaged and had dealer maintenance. $2,500. Even has the same paint code as my '03 Cobra! So the Snake goes into Winter storage when the first snow flake falls. Now I have to fight my wife for the slot in the garage!

cook01vert

Established Member
f4sfed--
I have one for you. It's a 86 T-bird from Tennesse, NO rust, 302/AOD, new tires, brakes and battery. Runs and looks good. It's black with grey interior, paint is kinda dull. $1750, come and get it. I was, and still may make it into a bracket racer, but have not had the time.

I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.

Matt.

Rwick7

Established Member
Cook - I might want to take a look at that while I'm up there. I'm also looking for a beater. Or I could bring it back for fsfed...for a nominal fee... :coolman:

cook01vert

Established Member
OOPS! I forgot to mention it has a dent in the drivers side door now, a ding dong in a back-hoe brushed it with the bucket, it's not too bad though.
I'll go take a pic of it...........

Video

Established Member
1990 Toyota Camry with a 5-Speed!!! 150000 miles, cant beat it......basic liability insurance, plus gas (which is pretty good), and constant oil changes...as cheap and reliable as they come... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread