Windsor Swap

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
I have a 99 cobra a plan on swapping my teskid block for a fully built windsor 2v block and using my heads and ect... Will this work!!!?????????

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
Ummmm, a Windsor should physically fit.....anything further than that, I defer to the big boys. Have at it guys :poke:

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
I plan on transfering everything from my cobra motor to the windsor block and going with a fully built iron block. I hope this helps. I just want to make sure the heads will work on that block i.e the coolant passages and such.

Nazman

Established Member
AJRED99 said:
I plan on transfering everything from my cobra motor to the windsor block and going with a fully built iron block. I hope this helps. I just want to make sure the heads will work on that block i.e the coolant passages and such.
He is talking about a 4.6 GT Windsor block. NOT a pushrod block.

I know that either one of the 2 types of blocks (Iron 4.6s) has to be drilled to the coolant passages but not sure which one.

Also, is there any difrenece in the location of the tensioneers and tensionner arms?

How about the timing cover?

Is the GT 4.6 block the same as the "Cobra" Iron block? If that is the case, then everything else "should" drop in.

Naz

green99_svt

Established Member
why take out the aluminum block anyway. the block is strong good to over 800 hp, just the rods and pistons fail and push holes in them. save the trouble do an aluminum block with forged rods and pistons

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yes the 03/04 Cobra block is the GT block. There is some drilling necessary for coolant passages. It's qutie a bit of work actually to change from SOHC to DOHC on these motors.

As said above the aluminum blocks are not weak by any stretch of the imagination. Even the WAP block has held over 1000rwhp in race applications. Unless you are wanting psychotice amounts of power there's not need to do anything other than build your current motor.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Ok guys this is the deal I'm in the Army and stationed overseas in Germany. I have a 99 Cobra with 90k on her. I plan On dumping 4k into soon I dont want to put a blower on it and detenate or run to much spay and have the same thing happen. So I want heads/cams and SB since I already have the juice. Or a built SB and something else. I have a option to buy a GT block used thats built. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Allen

Taz

Established Member
I'd just forge my original block if I were you. Maybe drop the CR a tad with the new pistons if you plan on spraying it hard.

Your '99 has a Teksid block, which is a really sweet piece of engineering. Keep it.

T-

:thumbsup:

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Taz said:
I'd just forge my original block if I were you. Maybe drop the CR a tad with the new pistons if you plan on spraying it hard.

Your '99 has a Teksid block, which is a really sweet piece of engineering. Keep it.

T-

:thumbsup:
I would love to but I dont know of any machine shops to prep the block and assemble the rotating assembly. That was my first choice.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you don't know anybody that can clean up your current block where you are the chances of somebody being able to prep the GT block for your DOHC heads is highly unlikely as well. It's not just a straight swap of the heads there are some differences.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Torch10th said:
If you don't know anybody that can clean up your current block where you are the chances of somebody being able to prep the GT block for your DOHC heads is highly unlikely as well. It's not just a straight swap of the heads there are some differences.
Yeah I wasn't sure and didn't know the GT's SB was different from mine. I guess I'm back to square one.

Allen

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Taz, are you on crack? lol

DO NOT DROP THE COMPRESSION if you plan to spray the car. If you want to do anything with compression, you want to ADD compression. N2O does not need a compression drop at all, only blown and turboed applications do. I would do a big bore if you had the money...you need to talk to Naz dude. He is the man...

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:
DO NOT DROP THE COMPRESSION if you plan to spray the car. If you want to do anything with compression, you want to ADD compression. N2O does not need a compression drop at all, only blown and turboed applications do. I would do a big bore if you had the money...you need to talk to Naz dude. He is the man...
Naz and I are stationed here in Germany together. A Big Bore is possible but it would take every once of my money and would not leave any extra for supporting mods.

Allen

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Have you checked on shipping? My father shipped a total of nearly 2 tons worht of tools, tool boxes, rivets, nuts bolts and other hardware from Colorado to Mainland China and that price was extreamly reasonable. Could you have a company like VT build you a shortblock and ship it to you?

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
AJRED99 said:
Naz and I are stationed here in Germany together. A Big Bore is possible but it would take every once of my money and would not leave any extra for supporting mods.

Allen

Yes, you are correct. However, talk about a far superior building block for futer mods when you do get the money. It is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to rip the motor out and do a big bore later than to do it now and add other stuff later...my 2 cents...

casey99COBRA

Just a rookie!
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Yes the 03/04 Cobra block is the GT block. There is some drilling necessary for coolant passages. It's qutie a bit of work actually to change from SOHC to DOHC on these motors.

As said above the aluminum blocks are not weak by any stretch of the imagination. Even the WAP block has held over 1000rwhp in race applications. Unless you are wanting psychotice amounts of power there's not need to do anything other than build your current motor.

so can you swap 03/04 cobra heads to a 2V gt windsor block without drilling?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
No there is drilling required. The 03/04 cars do have the GT Iron block in them however the coolant passages have been modified to accept the DOHC head.

It's really the only issue in the swap. There may be a few holes that you'd have to drill and tap for the front timing cover as well. But like I said previously if he can't find anybody that can redo his aluminum block he likely won't be able to find anybody to modify a GT block either.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
well if the two of your are stationed together...go talk to him and get a few ideas from him...I'm sure he can give you a few pointers on forging your block, he has done a (few) engine mods while he has been over there with no trouble...

Users who are viewing this thread