Windshield replacement?

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Alright guys I got my original windshield with 130k it's got chips everywhere and I can't take it anymore I checked on the price to replace with a genuine OEM windshield with a pony at the bottom it was like 700 bucks installed what am I going to do,what have you all done for new windshields?

Aftermarket cost about 2:50 I'm having a hard time justifying 700 bucks just to have a pony at the bottom but I'm a anal mo fo and I have tohave my details detailed.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Sounds like you're going to have to drop some coin on a OEM window if you know you won't be happy with an aftermarket one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AznPrswayzn

Established Member
I'd pay up for the oem window. I'm the same way as you and like to have the details. Also most aftermarket windshields I've seen aren't as nice of quality and tent to chip easier then oem.

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
I'd pay up for the oem window. I'm the same way as you and like to have the details. Also most aftermarket windshields I've seen aren't as nice of quality and tent to chip easier then oem.

What he said. Carlite is the way to go. I would skip safelite as a installer. Go to a small company where they have more of a interest in getting installed right. I asked safelite for OEM replacements for the front and rear glass. If I had not checked what they ordered I would have got aftermarket glass and been charged for OEM.

rymax101

Established Member
Just had mine replaced. I spent 400 for an oem with horses and everything. I was quoted 300 for a generic or 400 for oem. I also went with a small local company, cause they all get the windshields from the same supplier. As mentioned above, the only difference is the installer.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Stay away from Safelite. I had them replace mine and I had to go back twice...it still isn't right, but I got tired of wasting my time. I've got a new windshield, but I've also got cracked/damaged A-pillar covers and leaks!

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
OP, you want a DW1570 if it's a coupe.. good to know people value local glass companies over a national (non American) company.. those of us in this business area are grateful.. you may want to replace the cowl as well because they tend to be brittle..

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
I wear out windshields quicker than most, as this is #3 at 78K.

I don't drive in particularly dirty environments, but a high
average velocity results in lots of stone sand blast damage.

Make sure glass company brings extra trim screws and clips, as Ford leaves out half of them.

Users who are viewing this thread