Window will NOT come up???

KingSnakePro

Established Member
I rolled my window all the way down and the damn thing will not come up now! The passenger window works fine but the driverside is stuck. We went through most of the basic protocalls to approach this. We check fuses, none appeared to be blown. We swiched the window swiches and still nothing. The window appears to be getting power, it just does nothing.

Maybe the motor went? Who knows?
If you have any idea please chime in. I will be taking it to the dealer to get fixed in a few days if I dont fix it myself! :shrug:

99SVTcobraVERT

there was thread on here not too long ago about that. i tried to find it but cant. i had same prob, venomoussvt helped me fix it by just taking out motor and putting it back in. then went up with no problems. others had issues.

03DOHC

Established Member
With the key on, engine off does your dome light dim when you try to roll up the window?

Try this. With the key on and the engine off, hold the window button in the UP position and slam your door. If you already have the door panel off you can also tap the motor with a small ball peen. Try that.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
'01 King Cobra
Look at the last two replies (in particular) in this Post. I have some photos in there:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102234

I don't know if your motor is the same as mine, but the part number is on there, for comparison. The internals, and theory of operation may or may not be the same ... can't see why they would have changed it.

If you pull the motor out, there may be large dimples where the bolt heads are located - if so, you'll have to drill a hole in each dimple, large enough to get a socket in there. My holes were already open ... maybe the Cobras come like that. I have some aditional photos that I'm going to put on one of my Web Pages, but they aren't up yet ... they show the inside of the door, bolt hole locations, etc. E-mail me if you want them.

When you do your power check (with the door panel off), make sure you connect the leads coming off the electric door locks. When I reinstalled mine, I left them disconnected, and the motor wouldn't work. The leads from my motor are routed through the door lock wires, for power. Had to hold the door panel half way under the steering wheel, to get the connectors together.

Dan

KingSnakePro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
With the key on, engine off does your dome light dim when you try to roll up the window?

Try this. With the key on and the engine off, hold the window button in the UP position and slam your door. If you already have the door panel off you can also tap the motor with a small ball peen. Try that.

Yep, When I have the ignition (power on) and engine off and I attempt to roll the window up the light do indeed dim. I will try those things out in the morning. Thanks.

esoteric781

01 - 2 - 04
Established Member
slam door trick worked for me just the other day, i was heated when i thought i had to go back to the dealership to see if my warranty was still intact. just have car on, open door, keep finger pushed down on up button and slam door shut, keeping finger on button. if that don't work, then the motor is all f'ed up. course it could be the fuse, but if the passenger window is working, it most likely isn't.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
give it a tap(bang maybe), down at the bottom. should work. might have gotten stuck, i had the same prob. just give it a TAP or TWO =]

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The motor shouldn't stick. There is something getting ready to fail ... I hope it isn't raining like hell when your window decides to stay half way down.

Check the plastic balls :) They are probably broken, and the pieces are getting smaller all the time!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I've put up a new Web Page on the electric window motor repair/replacement. Newbee's will be interested, I'm sure. It's very detailed, cause the manual says, basically, "remove door panel, and then remove motor." LOL

For all you experienced guys ... thanks for visiting.

http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/wmotor.htm

Dan

GodStang

Established Member
I just replaced the motor in my Cobra drivers side last week. It was dead as a door knob and it died durning a BAD storm!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Ouch ... was the motor similiar to the one on my Web Page? How about the Part Number? Just curious as to how much difference there is between year models.

Dan

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 01' KING COBRA
Yep, When I have the ignition (power on) and engine off and I attempt to roll the window up the light do indeed dim. I will try those things out in the morning. Thanks.
That means the motor is drawing current. You can try the door slam trick, or you can pound carefully in the area where the motor is under the plastic door panel, or if you have the panel off tap it with a hammer. Just remember to keep the button pushed like you are trying to roll up the window. If it goes up great, if it doesn't you'll need to replace the motor.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
GodStang
Who are you asking?

You ... I'd just like to know if the motors are the same throughout the years. Seems like they would be. Sounds like the interior of the door is different - one of the posts mentioned a plastic panel that covers the motor.

Dan

2FST4GM

Established Member
My driver's door motor failed while in the shop for warranty work a few years ago. It was brought out with the window down and I drove off like that. 2 blocks away I tried to roll it up and it didn't work. I turned around and told them to fix it ASAP and that I'd be at lunch and would return in 2 hours (Sat. afternoon). They replaced it but tried to blame it on my alarm that rolls up the windows and said that if it happens again that they wouldn't replace it the next time.

01CobraEric

Established Member
Just slam the door or punch beside the button console (firm but not real hard) happened to me just after i got the car only a couple a thousand miles and has been fine since. happend a year and a half ago.

scootro

Established Member
could be something simple like a new window button on your door happened to me......

01rdcobra

Established Member
well i've had the same problem but when this happened to me a was at the track at california speedway and when i got there my window was working fine and after i did my first run of the day and i put my window down to get my time slip the stupid thing wouldn't work anymore :fm: so that ruin my whole day. since the car is not my daily driver i left it at home for a week and then the same day that i was going to take it to the dealer i turn the car on, i gave it one last try and bam it worked. i still took it but the guy gave this story about how hard it was going to be to find the problem so i just came home and that was it. its been working good ever since now when i go to the track i just keep the window closed.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
03DOHC said:

that trick worked on my car 2 years ago....havn't had a problem since

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I did cobraNOS2001's car and it wasnt the motor. The small spur gear was jammed but I had to remove the motor to get the gear un wedged. Once I got it unwedged I greased it back up, put it together and it has been working ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread