window tinting

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
just wondering what the law is on tinted windows in pa. got pulled over today was told i have illegal tint even though you can see in my vehicle, have 15 days to remove it.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
Check the Donut Shop sticky in regards to window tint laws for each state. I believe PA is a no tint allowed state, just like NJ. No front door glass tint of any kind...

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
jimljr145 said:
Check the Donut Shop sticky in regards to window tint laws for each state. I believe PA is a no tint allowed state, just like NJ. No front door glass tint of any kind...

That is false...I have had almost every car I owned tinted for the last 10 years.

JLS

Established Member
70 percent of light must pass through the front three window your (a/c or green glass not tinted ) holds about 22-29 percent of light back according to the light meter the state police use , the rear windows can be as dark as you want . see the only way you can get a way with tint on the front three is if its factory tinted glass then it has a little label in the corner with the carlite label.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
In PA now any tint on a car not from the factory is illegal. However you can't be failed for state inspection because of window tint. It sounds stupid but its true. Here's a big helper, go to the eye doctor and tell them the sun light hurts your eyes and makes it hard to see while driving. The doctor will write you a slip that makes any window tint, even on the front windshield legal.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
RedRocketMike said:
In PA now any tint on a car not from the factory is illegal. However you can't be failed for state inspection because of window tint. It sounds stupid but its true. Here's a big helper, go to the eye doctor and tell them the sun light hurts your eyes and makes it hard to see while driving. The doctor will write you a slip that makes any window tint, even on the front windshield legal.

The doctor would have to fill out the required paperwork and attest to the fact that you have a medical condition. If the sun hurts your eyes, where sunglasses.

red9450

Established Member
35% i believe is the limit for you're side windows. back and rear windows can be as dark as you want, and a 6"tint banner on the top of the windshield are the limits. IMO i would avoid the tint if you can help it. cops don't feel comfortable when they approach a car with real dark tint. could be some crazy mother f***** with a gun behind that dark tint. i find that the cops are much more lienieant (sp?) with me not having the tint, although i would love to tint the new car for the look.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The doctor would have to fill out the required paperwork and attest to the fact that you have a medical condition. If the sun hurts your eyes, where sunglasses.

Yea thats the point, act like the sun really bothers you and he'll write something up. Then you won't get tickets for dark tint.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
RedRocketMike said:
Yea thats the point, act like the sun really bothers you and he'll write something up. Then you won't get tickets for dark tint.

The point is the physician needs a medical diagnosis. Bright light bothers my eyes is a symptom, not a diagnosis. It is also subjective and cant be quantified, especially in an otherwise healthy young person.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The point is the physician needs a medical diagnosis. Bright light bothers my eyes is a symptom, not a diagnosis. It is also subjective and cant be quantified, especially in an otherwise healthy young person.

Would the fact that sunlight aggrivates my migrane problem be a reasonable excuse that could be verified by a doctor? I usually have to wear sunglasses even with my dark tint so I don't have headaches.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
With either the classic or common migraine, photophobia is a problem. If you are having that severe of a migraine, you probably shouldnt be driving. To answer your question, I think your treating physician would be the best judge of whether window tint is necessary above sunglasses.

Users who are viewing this thread