Window Tint

Bullitt4859

Established Member
Well I got pulled over for having to dark of tint which I was surprised because I didnt know the city of Houston had there own law on tint levels. Anyways I have 25% and the legal limit is 35%. So my questions are...

How much would it be to just pay the ticket and what would happen on my record??

After I raised the tint level, where would I go to get proof to show the judge??

THANKS

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
not a LEO, but do know about this.

Texas is 25% statewide (unless it changed in the past month...)..... can city law trump state law?

its not a moving violation do it doesnt go on your record, do not know how much it cost to just pay it.

as for the rolling the window up....solder a little hook on your window fuse...get pulled over, yank the fuse out. "sorry officer, windows are broke"

^^^^^^^
just joking :)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well I got pulled over for having to dark of tint which I was surprised because I didnt know the city of Houston had there own law on tint levels. Anyways I have 25% and the legal limit is 35%. So my questions are...
Houston does not have their own tint laws. it is a state law and the legal limit STATEWIDE is 25%.
How much would it be to just pay the ticket and what would happen on my record??
what does the ticket say specifically? what did the cop say specifically? under what section of the law were you cited?
After I raised the tint level, where would I go to get proof to show the judge??
you would probably have to go to court and show the judge your receipt where you got your tint redone.
My last and stupid question is.. When the officer asks you to roll up your window to check the tint can you refuse or not???
THANKS

yes you can refuse but why would you? all it will do is piss him off and then he will throw the book at you. If you are in compliance you shouldn't have a problem.

It should be noted that your windows are tinted some from the factory and if you put 25% tint on your windows you will not be in compliance of the law and will be subject to a ticket.

lots of unanswered questions before anyone can give you much advice as to whether or not you should really take this to court. some of it doesn't make sense.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Roger, the statewide limit is 25% for passenger cars on all windows. Light trucks are 25% at the front windows and can be darker for the remaining windows.
As far as the officer asking you to roll your window up? If you are not out of the car, you will be shortly! I really don't think you want to press the issue sir.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Roger, the statewide limit is 25% for passenger cars on all windows. Light trucks are 25% at the front windows and can be darker for the remaining windows.

except for the rear window. If the car has BOTH left and right outside mirrors there is not limit on the rear window.

Bullitt4859

Established Member
thanks for all the replies! Let me clarify what he told me was that the city of Houston has their own law on tinting and the driver and passenger windows that have to be 35% or above. I am still not sure on how to show the judge that my tint is now legal or how much it is to just pay the ticket???

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks for all the replies! Let me clarify what he told me was that the city of Houston has their own law on tinting and the driver and passenger windows that have to be 35% or above. I am still not sure on how to show the judge that my tint is now legal or how much it is to just pay the ticket???

what code section is on the ticket? I have not been able to find anything on houston having their own tint laws. If it is not written on the ticket I would call the cop that issued the ticket and ask him for the legal reference and where you can find the houston law, I doubt he will be able to get it for you.

If you are truly at 25% there is no reason to take your tint off. State inspection stations are supposed to test your front windows and your windshield and they test for 25%.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
My suggestion...

take it to a local inspection station, have them test your window tint, get it in writing from them that it is legal.

As stated above, if you put aftermarket tint over factory windows (that have a slight tint to them) you will just barely be over the 25% limit. However, I called an old buddy that used to be a prosecutor in Harris County (Houston) and he had no knowledge of a city law about window tint.

I would call the court that the ticket is issued out of, get the prosecutor's name and contact info, and talk to him about it. Just ask about the tint law, dont mention you have tint on factory tinted windows.

I seriously doubt city law can trump state law like that.

Users who are viewing this thread