Window Problems Help!!

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Hi Guys, I put my car away for the winter but before I did, my drivers side power window stopped working. Its stuck in the closed position which is a good thing. All that happens is a clicking sound when the buton is pressed.
I removed the door panel to check the switch and with the key on when I push the switch I am getting power on the other side going to the motor. I checked it with a Voltmeter. I had a buddy tell me that the motor still might not be bad because the same thing happened to him he had power going to the motor, replaced the motor and it still didn't work it was the switch! Which to me doesnt make sense. Anyway have any of you experienced anything like this.

bigpapa

Established Member
take your door cover off and check the motor and regulator. If you are unsure of what I am talking about take the door cover off and see if anything "looks" messed up. You will figure it out real quick.

GodStang

Established Member
Happens to all of us. Mine happened the first time at a car show in the down position. A bad thunderstorm rolled in with my window down. Some things that help would be slamming the door, there is also a place that you can hit the door and it will get it working again. Do a couple of searches and you will see that this happens alot. 90% of the time it is not the motor being bad it is just stuck. Hope this helps.

Easy way to fix this without removing anything

99cobrasvt said:
Hi Guys, I put my car away for the winter but before I did, my drivers side power window stopped working. Its stuck in the closed position which is a good thing. All that happens is a clicking sound when the buton is pressed.
I removed the door panel to check the switch and with the key on when I push the switch I am getting power on the other side going to the motor. I checked it with a Voltmeter. I had a buddy tell me that the motor still might not be bad because the same thing happened to him he had power going to the motor, replaced the motor and it still didn't work it was the switch! Which to me doesnt make sense. Anyway have any of you experienced anything like this.

This has happened to me a few times already. Especially in the winter. Ford Ranger owners have the same problem.
I believe you said the window is closed right?

Here's what you do. Open the door, and hold your finger on the window button pressing down---while holding down the button---SLAM THE DOOR SHUT! Guaranteed to work. Do the same thing if your window is ever in the down position. Let me know how it turned out.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
I've never needed to slam the door. Just give it a good strike right behind the map pocket while holding the switch down.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
I will try the door slamming thing with the button. I tried just beating all around the door while pushing the button and nothing happens. It kind of looks like its jammed or something the whole sliders and everthing look awful tight. Is there anyway that I can put the window down manually so I can then check the motor cause like I said it looks jammed in the tracks. Thanks guys.

green99_svt

Established Member
guys the reason the good ole slam works is there is a dead spot in the motor windings. the jolt gets it past that spot.'

remember the switch controls power and ground not just power. this is because the motor can work in both directions. this is why your bud had power to the win but still did not work.

take a test light and put it across both sides of the harness at the motor. it should light going up and down. if you simply ground the light you will see that power will be applied to both wires depending if up or down is selected. chances are the motor is failed but be sure to check for power and ground.

also there is a big asshat spring on the reg thats why it looks tight. usually the win wont go up strait if the regulator is broken or twisted

Last edited:
Just slam the fricken door while holding the button in the down position if you want it to go down. Some of these problems just need old school solutions.

fangstang

Established Member
what if it doesnt go up or down no matter what? Mines been dead for a while now. Do I need to change the motor?

green99_svt

Established Member
you need to diagnose it and find the source of the problem. could be a switch or a wire or a fuse or a motor or a connector ect. ect. get a service manual.

im not sure how beating the crap out of a nice car to make a window work is a good way to repair a problem.

01rdcobra

Established Member
well i had the same problem but in my case the window would not go up at all this would be an on and off thing so the dealer replaced the motor and its been fine ever since. i had the same clicking sound and power was going to the motor,and the switch was good. i say replace your motor and get it over with you'll save a lot of headaches. good luck.

wallie40

Established Member
Hold the button down. Slam the door. Works like a charm.

Done it a couple of times.

fonzy.jpg

-pAul

Users who are viewing this thread