Willthis be able to paint correct?

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
Hey guys I'm planning on buying a PC and try some correction on my cars. I never done anything other then by hand. Its mostly scratches and swirl marks I'm looking to get out except Idk what is happening to one side of my hood. My question is will this be able to come out with a PC in your opinions? Thanks for the help Joe.

IMG_1729.jpg

mcate

Established Member
Swirls like that shouldn't be a problem for a PC with a white pad & the right compound. I'd start with Poorboy's SSR 2 or 2.5. I used to have an '03 Mach 1, & I seem to remember something about the clear in the 03's being very hard. I had a hard time getting the swirls out of it. I detailed an '03 Cobra for a guy last year & had similar troubles.

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
Swirls like that shouldn't be a problem for a PC with a white pad & the right compound. I'd start with Poorboy's SSR 2 or 2.5. I used to have an '03 Mach 1, & I seem to remember something about the clear in the 03's being very hard. I had a hard time getting the swirls out of it. I detailed an '03 Cobra for a guy last year & had similar troubles.

Its not so much the swirls I am as concerned with as the grey fading or oxidation or what ever is happening to the paint.

proudgeek

OCD
Established Member
You might need to polish first to condition the paint. I would try two spots; one where you polish first and then correct, and the other straight to correction and see what works best.

Last edited:

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
heres a couple more pics sorry all I have is an iPhone its isolated to the fender doesn't go on to the hood prob bout 2 feet long 8 inches wide.
IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Holy crap. It almost looks like the paint itself has faded down to primer. If you can save this, I would add in 10 hail mary's and whatever else the priest tells you to do.

(I'm not catholic so forgive me if I got that wrong..just attend church the next 5 Sundays for sure)

AtlanticRJ

Established Member
Holy crap. It almost looks like the paint itself has faded down to primer. If you can save this, I would add in 10 hail mary's and whatever else the priest tells you to do.

(I'm not catholic so forgive me if I got that wrong..just attend church the next 5 Sundays for sure)

I'm not catholic either, but I will double his offerings! In all seriousness though, I will be interested to see what happens here. It looks like the clear coat is pretty much gone. Let us know how everything turns out with the PC!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
best thing to do is either repaint or find a nice used black fender and paint correct the used one. That one looks too far gone.

On second thought. if you are looking to do this on a budget, get the harbor freight version of the PC, paint correct that one and post your results, it may come out looking a little better and may be a good fender to learn on. If the clear gets worse or it doest help at all after buffing, mustang fenders are a dime a dozen. I bet you could pick one up from a U-pull it place for next to nothing even in black.

Last edited:

2003 Cobra Kid

Established Member
I think the pics I put up today make it look worst then what it really is I don't think its primer showing. It's more like the pic from the original post. I think the sun with the glare made it look worst. That being said I doubt it will get better but I'll let u guys no. Will be a few weeks before I do it because it's still freezing in mass and it's gona be a bday gift from my girl. Should I get the most aggressive pad and compound?

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
It just looks like any paint correction (i.e. removal) will just amplify the effects of the damage already done. That's the worst that can happen though, it can't hurt to try. Use some serious compound and gor for it!

crazycarlo

Established Member
That's how my trunk looked after sitting outside for a year. Looks like its oxidized. Get a PC and some Meg's 105/205. Make sure you clay the fender before you start.

SON1C

Established Member
nothing to lose, but from pictures looks like clearcoat failure aka terminal

regardless investing in a polisher is the best investment you can make for your vehicles.

aside from maybe.. oil.

Users who are viewing this thread