Will we ever see an auto in a Shelby?

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
What do you guys think? Personally, I want one after watching the CTS-V walk our Shelby. I know a stick is more nostalgic but with new auto trans technology I think it would be a better car.

Flame suit on.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
That would take ALL the fun out of it! IMO.....

I dunno. I love my '10 Shelby and the stick is ok but a seven or eight speed auto would be sick IMO. My dad has a 5-series BMW with the twin turbo 440hp and the 7 speed and I think it would eat the Shelbys lunch from a dig.

You wouldn't like another .2 or .3 in the 1/4?

Mike Meyers

Established Member
I tracked my M5 with a 7 speed auto with paddle shift and it was a lot better than trying to shift this shelby.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I tracked my M5 with a 7 speed auto with paddle shift and it was a lot better than trying to shift this shelby.

and takes a lot less skill.................

Is an auto faster on a drag strip, yes, is a stick more fun for a street/strip car YES!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I disagree that an auto is faster at the strip. Perhaps for an unskilled driver it is or for a turbo setup. That's pretty much it. Real cars have three pedals. It's suppose to feel mechanical and the driver be part of the experience. I've been in several built autos with transbrakes and manual valve bodies. Still executing the perfect powershift is way more exciting. Sure the auto is darn near idiot proof but expensive and takes away from the experience IMO. A stick car can be a bracket car if you are like a robot which is about the only benefit I see in the autos. People have been giving me tons of crap about building my cobra jet with a stick. But to me it's the only way to go.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I disagree that an auto is faster at the strip. .

sorry dude you're just wrong there.

Take a look at this list - probably the most comprehensive list of S197 cars at the strip in one place. The first stick car is #18 and 43 of the top 46 are auto.

S197TIMESLIPS1052010.jpg

every thing else you commented on I agree 100%

F8L SN8K

Established Member
AA/S 9.37 144.95 09/12/10 Don Fezell - Du Bois, PA
'08 Ford Englishtown, NJ

AA/SA 9.44 142.84 10/05/09 Jimmy Holzman - Wichita, KS
'08 Ford Kearney, NE

Record books can be read all sorts of ways. Given a set of rules different combos have some advantages. All things being equal and a great stick driver the more efficient manual trans should prevail.(turbo cars being excluded because of the loading) stock for stock(just trying to make it even) the stick car is a tick quicker in the quarter. Although the auto tech has really brought the new cars MUCH MUCH closer in performance. MM&FF Evan Smith is an incredible driver if you want a measuring stick. People complain about them running much quicker then anyone else. To that I say "have you ever seen the guy drive?? He's an animal and pure genius when racing. He runs in the nhra and is blazing fast with his "93 Cobra" stocker

Users who are viewing this thread