Will tunning become ILLEGAL?!!!

SixPak

Established Member
I will start looking more closely at the computer systems guys are putting into street rods to control their engines and other things next time I am at a car show like Good Guys, etc. Nothing I like better than someone telling me I can't do something. That's when I start getting creative.

derricksmustang

Established Member
All I have to say is WOW.. I hope the public would never let something like this happen I can honestly say im a die hard motor head and have spent my whole life growing up around cars if I couldnt work on my own car as hard as they make it already these days im pretty sure I would very disappointed in are country more than I already am..

04cammedcobra

Established Member
Exactly!

If we can't modify there Ecu, all that will mean is there Ecu gets ripped out and a full standalone goes in. It will actually help local shops and tuners with more business!!

Aem , mega squirt, and many others are will step up if need be!!

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
This could be a good thing, because it will create much higher demand for aftermarket ECU's making them more affordable and easier to install which are MUCH better for significant modifications anyway. I would donate my left nut to switch over to holley EFI and start using wide bands for my fuel trims, live tuning. My AMZ1 works, but its a slow antiquated piece of shit.

GhostXR

Established Member
Unfortunately the piece of news is legit. But think about the bigger picture than the ECU - what's next? Can't replace the radio because its software is integrated into the car and considered a "safety risk" if removed? Unfortunately a standalone is not a perfect solution - it presents a problem when it comes to OBD II and emissions - none of the standalones I know of will pass the plug in test. I run a standalone on my car and pass emissions just fine (actually cleaner than the old EEC-IV), but it is on an old OBD I car so they have no clue.

Snagmaster

Established Member
It's going to be awhile before anything happens, I live in Washington state in a county where we don't even have I/M enforced, the best part is that even though C.A.R.B. Has been around for quite a few years even that level of oversight has not leaked over into the rest of the states yet.

Remember that our government can't even sit down and agree on anything anymore it seems, they will pay lip service forever and a day before passing any law.

And then good luck enforcing anything along those lines, I just don't see it anytime soon.

PhaidOut

Established Member
Not sure why anyone would take Yahoo! news "lightly" - 99% of the content isn't generated by them but from actual news organizations like Reuters and AP. This article was from Boldride though - autoblog. Not sure if that is a Yahoo property...

Regardless the DMCA is the WORST piece of legislation we have had outside the Patriot Act. It's an example of big companies trying to control individuals and legitimate exercises in addition to the illegal ones. What this really comes down to is corporate greed. The big 3 saying it should be illegal for people to work on their cars? WT... :fm:

I have been thinking about doing a true resto mod for a while now. Might be time to do it. They can clamp down on our vehicles yet but a 1960s pre-regulations car? Nope. That's going to take special laws.

Users who are viewing this thread