Will Track Key shorten the 5 year 60,000 warranty?

nycarpenter

Established Member
Lots of gray areas here and just wondering if anyone has a straight answer on this one. Ford Racing gave me some mumbo jumbo along the lines of if Ford can prove the track key hurt the car within 3 yr 36,000 Ford Racing is on the hook but what happens if nothing happens in this time span but at 42,0000 miles the driveline has issues?

BOSS2664

Established Member
the answer I got

When I bought my '12...the dealership said if I elect to install the track key the warranty drops to 3yrs and 36K mile.....period.
My opinion, they should have made the track key and install free based on this. Why pay @ $400 to lessen your warranty.

TRDon

Established Member
I did a lot of research on this and i opted not to get the track key ever. By getting the track key, warranty goes to 3/36 and will then be covered by ford racing, not ford. If you opted for extended warranty, it will be voided, even if it was ford's own warranty, which i have. I bougt the extended 7/70 through ford based on the tranny issues alone. When calling and asking about the track key,the warranty number said track key will void the warranty extention all together. I was also told by the dealer that racing is considered abuse and will void the warranty. If you enable the track key, they assume you are using it for racing unless otherwise proven and can possibly end your ford racing warranty on the spot. Hence me deciding to never enable it.

Dont shoot the messenger, this was word for word from the people i spoke with.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
I did a lot of research on this and i opted not to get the track key ever. By getting the track key, warranty goes to 3/36 and will then be covered by ford racing, not ford. If you opted for extended warranty, it will be voided, even if it was ford's own warranty, which i have. I bougt the extended 7/70 through ford based on the tranny issues alone. When calling and asking about the track key,the warranty number said track key will void the warranty extention all together. I was also told by the dealer that racing is considered abuse and will void the warranty. If you enable the track key, they assume you are using it for racing unless otherwise proven and can possibly end your ford racing warranty on the spot. Hence me deciding to never enable it.

Dont shoot the messenger, this was word for word from the people i spoke with.

You're wrong on this...I dealt with it long ago myself. Still comes up all the time though as evidenced here most recently:

Ford Response to Trackey Inquiry Re: Warranty - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
I called the Ford Tech line 3 different times and got the same answer.
If you are using the red key, the warranty for the red key use is 3/36.
But the grey key will remain 5/60. So in other words after 3/36 and Ford can prove you were using Red Key at the time of failure and the tune was the cause. its your bill. if you are using the grey key when it happens you are still good to go till 5/60. So in short the red is 3/36 and grey is 5/60.
Which also confirms what Orange says.

Last edited:

TRDon

Established Member

TRDon

Established Member
I know, but what about a ford extended warranty? That was what I asked.

JStaton

Established Member
As I was made aware, the Track key does void any extended warranty. Base warranties are fine, I believe

TRDon

Established Member
Meh, I'll keep my warranty, and get a better aed tune in the future after warranty for close the the trackey price. Win-win

JStaton

Established Member
The reason I might get the tune would just be for the novelty of it. But I would use an actual tune because you can actually do things with that. If you modify the 302, which most of us will/have the Track doesn't account for that right?

nycarpenter

Established Member
I purchased this from Tousley and was going to have it done the other day but bailed out after getting different answers about warranty. I figure to sell it and just run the car dead stock for a while.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The way I understand it.... Whole car has a 5/50 warranty even with the track key. The track key hardware/software has a 3/36 warranty with Ford racing.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
Ford extended warranty will be voided with a trackey install. They were very clear about that. I called them directly and that was the answer I got. Are you saying that was not true?

Yes, in other words any problems unrelated to TracKey are covered as normal by your ESP. Call Ford customer service directly. Again (from the link I posted):

"Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha"

Last edited:

Brewmaster

Established Member
I spoke with Ford Racing on his issue too. The 3/36 warranty is on the TK software. It has nothing to do with your other warranty on the car. Of course if you cause damage while tracking your car all warranty bets are off.

Regarding the 91 octane, I only can get 90 octane where I live and they said no worry. Just have the installer of the TK check yes on the octane setting and the warranty is in tact.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
What I saw:
If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles
The lawyer phrase: "any concern"

nycarpenter

Established Member
What I saw:
If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles
The lawyer phrase: "any concern"

I have my serious doubts on the warranty if the track key was in use at time of any type of driveline failure. If they can prove the car was in track mode and the transmission becomes becomes confetti my guess is your screwed. The way I see it where it's not etched in stone the manufactures have a way to twist the facts and make you pay. I have fought Ford in the past and it was a total friggin nightmare! That was for 4 rims that peeled after 1 year and 8000 miles. Try to collect on a maybe yes, maybe no warranty blown motor or transmission with 37,000 miles or so. I can just hear and see the song and dance already............

Last edited:

mcmmotorsports

Established Member
Bringing back from the 4 month dead.
I bought my Boss as a CPO from a Ford Dealership with the TrackKey already installed.
If something happens during my 7/70 warranty, wanna bet I will fight it till the death?

Brewmaster

Established Member
I hear you my friend. I have an 84 month, 100k mile bumper to bumper and have used the TK since day one. Only used the grey key to see if it worked. This is my summer daily driver and it will never see the track. It is covered and they will have a hell of a fight on heir hands if they deny a claim.

GottaBoss

Established Member
Following is the email response I received from Ford customer service. I don't know if I believe it but it's what I got.....

Hello XXXXX,

This is Dan, also from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. I will be answering your email inquiring about the installation of the Trackey on your 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 that Dia has previously handled.

I would like to congratulate you for your new Ford vehicle purchase.

As previously said, your inquiry has been escalated to the appropriate department. Upon doing so, I was able to confirm that The Trackey is an aftermarket add-on. However, the factory 5 years/60,000 miles Powertrain Warranty will not be affected by the installation of it. The Trackey itself comes with a 3 years/36,000 miles warranty to cover the additional key and programming.

It has been a pleasure assisting you with this matter.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Dan
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

When the dealer attempted to sell me an extended warranty at time of purchase I asked about the Trackey and was told it would void the extended warranty.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what I was told.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread