Will the Tranny hold up?

DjKush

Established Member
Well as you guys know I'm going built. And wondering if the tranny is going to hold up well? Mods are going to be, intake, mafia,6lb lower, 2.76 upper (which belt size do I need..sorry) mmr900 shortblock, stage 3 ported windsor heads, stage 2 crower cams. Im hoping around 500 ponys? I know I need a Valve body. I do not drive crazy either, only Thursday racing nights ocassionally. I'll post a progress post when were breaking in the new bad boy.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
The tranny will easily handle that power. How many miles do you have on it? Depending on the miles you may want to flush the tranny and change the fluid. Also if the budget allows for one, you may want to think about getting a torque converter with around a 2k stall.

DjKush

Established Member
Currently has 25k miles, I am gonna flush it. About that torque converter...? I don't understand what they do... From my understanding.. It allows for you to have it on nuetral, rev it to whatever it can handle 2500 for instance, and when the green light goes on, switch it to drive and take off.. Correct?

uncooked

Established Member
No you can bring it up just by foot braking it.

That would be a neutral drop :lol1: no no haha

I love my 2800 PI

My stock trans (DMP VB, Moroso pan) let go with just a 4lb lower and minor bolt ons..... Its now fully built / 2800 stall

You just never know. I have heard they are fairly strong though!

Last edited:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Mine is holding up fine too. Only trans mods are FTVB, 4x4 pan, LFP 2400 stall, Superduty trans cooler and Amsoil.

PaulthePUNISHER

Established Member
they are very good trannies....but even maintained its a crap shoot. ive seen them fail at stock hp levels and low mileage....and also saw them living happily near stock in low 10 sec trucks.....

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Mine held up to many runs down the strip and 15K street miles before I upgraded. Truck was a low 10 sec capable and I sprayed the last year the stock trans was in it. I attribute it's longevity to a VB I installed the first month I had it and the Moroso pan holding enough fluid to not get overly hot. I don't beat on my truck on the street and at the track never hotlap.

Jim

Jarrett H

Established Member
The transmission may or may not hold up. By getting a higher stall, you are going to be increasing the heat as well. I've got a 4x4 pan and valve body and my trans doesn't slip a bit after 610 to the wheels. I can still be doing quarter throttle going 30mph and it will chirp when it shifts. On the other hand, a whipple lightning that put down 670rwhp at the same shop my truck did, blew his transmission a few weeks later.

As long as you keep the transmission temperature down, it will last a very long time. Ford definitely did something right with these trucks. The Transmissions and rear ends hold a hell of a lot power before they go. Get yourself a valve body and a temp gauge and you'll more than likely be fine.

02red

Established Member
88k on the clock pushing 570 rwhp... and its holding up good but thats my next mod

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I have 600hp on 93 pump gas and I have run 100 octane a few times but I am not sure how much more that gave me. Either way my tranny is still running great with the FTVB and PI2400 stall.

01whiteL

Established Member
transmission will be more about luck lol depending on how you have driven the truck etc etc etc.... mine was great with 48k and went built/whipple etc and it started slipping after 2-3 WOT runs, was making 600rwhp on pump gas. Some people have great luck where others don't.

Pick up a PI converter 2400 stall, can't go wrong and if you continue to add hp it's where you will need to be anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread