Will the SVTPP package be an issue?

KsE

Established Member
If you order the SVTPP package will that bilstein setup cause issues with lowering the car and changing the wheels/tire setup? Currently I ordered the base package because I plan on slamming the car and swapping wheels.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Why slam? For the look or the performance?

I would avoid the pp and get the griggs ss for the same price! It sets the car up with 4 adjustable koni coilovers with proper chasis geometry. You can raise it or lower it to your liking and back again. Contact Van at raven racing!

Pics of a Griggs GT500 on track:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115322827192084299493/2007GR40TTGT500OfJayJohnson

BigDan

Established Member
Why slam? For the look or the performance?

Probably because he thinks it looks kewl

Ford-Mustang-Air-Suspension-003.jpg

Currently I ordered the base package because I plan on slamming the car and swapping wheels.

Nothing wrong with ordering a base and slamming it on air bags. Your obvious not going for all out track performance which the 2013 PP is now suited for. Back in 2011-12 most opted for it due to the way better tires and gears. Now they all have the same tires, gears and the 2013 non PP cars handle just as good as last years PP.

As a 2011 PP owner I dont think I would order the PP on a 2013 this time around because I honestly dont need the adjustable dampers or torsen diff and would rather save the $3,500.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Nothing wrong with ordering a base and slamming it on air bags. Your obvious not going for all out track performance which the 2013 PP is now suited for. Back in 2011-12 most opted for it due to the way better tires and gears. Now they all have the same tires, gears and the 2013 non PP cars handle just as good as last years PP.

As a 2011 PP owner I dont think I would order the PP on a 2013 this time around because I honestly dont need the adjustable dampers or torsen diff and would rather save the $3,500.

Why wouldnt you want the torsen diff? From the looks of your car you like the drag strip. Is the torsen diff more suited for the "twisty" track?

carguy19

Established Member
If you order the SVTPP package will that bilstein setup cause issues with lowering the car and changing the wheels/tire setup? Currently I ordered the base package because I plan on slamming the car and swapping wheels.

IF you plan on putting springs, coilovers or any suspension work on the car dont get the PP. The ride control wont work with any of the above mentioned.

we just went thru this with customers at my dealership with S4s.

2k7gtcs

Established Member
I'm assuming the shocks plug into some kind of harness or something. You could always pull the stock shocks/struts and save them and then put on your coilovers and not "plug" the new ones in because they can't be plugged in. Then of course your ride control doesn't work, but if you've got coilovers I'm assuming that's not gonna be important to you.

Then if you ever want to go back to stock you can.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Do we know the 2013 base suspension is the PP suspension of 2012? Spring rates, other?

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Why wouldnt you want the torsen diff? From the looks of your car you like the drag strip. Is the torsen diff more suited for the "twisty" track?

Good questions. What makes the Torsen advantageous? Durability? Is it best suited for drag or curves?

Never heard of anyone having problems with the standard GT500 LS diff.
It seems the best advantage of the Bilsteins is to get a decent ride off the track.

carguy19

Established Member
I'm assuming the shocks plug into some kind of harness or something. You could always pull the stock shocks/struts and save them and then put on your coilovers and not "plug" the new ones in because they can't be plugged in. Then of course your ride control doesn't work, but if you've got coilovers I'm assuming that's not gonna be important to you.

Then if you ever want to go back to stock you can.

The shocks wouldnt absorb shock if they are unplugged. They need to be electronically magnatized to work.

Plus the dash would light up like a christmas tree

Shelby racer

Good questions. What makes the Torsen advantageous? Durability? Is it best suited for drag or curves?

Never heard of anyone having problems with the standard GT500 LS diff.
It seems the best advantage of the Bilsteins is to get a decent ride off the track.

Hi check this:New for the 2013 Shelby Mustang GT500, is a helical gear "Torsen" (torque sensing) differential with larger bearings, which adjusts torque distribution between the left and right side rear axles ensuring the most available power gets to the ground, even under grueling conditions.

This differential, usually referred to as a Type A, or Torsen T-1, is based on the original Torsen design and uses crossed axis helical cut gears to provide higher torque bias ratios than other types, including the 2012 GT 500 's system.

The downside to these differentials, is the need to set them up properly, or face the consequences of noise, vibration and harshness issues, which these days, is of utmost importance.

To ensure performance and long life, Ford added a temperature activated electric pump to cycle cool fluids through the 3.31:1 ratio rear end.

Hourigan218

Established Member
I know this has probably been answered but with the engines aside, will the new 13 base be equal to the 12's pp? I would like the pp just for bragging rights but will never need it. I wont track it or take it to the strip (well maybe a couple of times just to see what it can do) but mostly be a street car. So what is the main differences from a base 13 to a12pp? brakes? differential gear ratios? Is it worth the expense knowing I wont use the extra goodies from a 13pp. anyone plz help, I could really use the input.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I think there is little doubt that the base 2013 GT500 will outperform the PP 2012 GT500. Whether they use the same parts is irrelevant in that sense. Given the Bilsteins and Torsen, the PP 2013 GT500 is unlike any previous models.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Hi check this:New for the 2013 Shelby Mustang GT500, is a helical gear "Torsen" (torque sensing) differential with larger bearings, which adjusts torque distribution between the left and right side rear axles ensuring the most available power gets to the ground, even under grueling conditions.

This differential, usually referred to as a Type A, or Torsen T-1, is based on the original Torsen design and uses crossed axis helical cut gears to provide higher torque bias ratios than other types, including the 2012 GT 500 's system.

The downside to these differentials, is the need to set them up properly, or face the consequences of noise, vibration and harshness issues, which these days, is of utmost importance.

To ensure performance and long life, Ford added a temperature activated electric pump to cycle cool fluids through the 3.31:1 ratio rear end.

Thanks. Interesting. I still wonder what this all translates to in terms of real world performance.

Users who are viewing this thread