Will the S197 Boss 302 be the replacement for the R cars?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I am wondering if there is any real information about the upcoming Boss 302. Will it be what HPDE addicts have been waiting for in the new Mustang?

I love tracking my 95 R, but I fret over every nick and scratch! Maybe I would have the same feelings about a new Boss, but I am ready to retire the 95 to show status and very occasional track days and move on to something new.

Motor Trend says is will be stripped down somewhat and use less sound deadening, 425 hp Hurricane motor and some of the Shelby styling. Only 1000 of them to be built.

Any idea if they know what they are talking about?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
hollant said:
I am wondering if there is any real information about the upcoming Boss 302. Will it be what HPDE addicts have been waiting for in the new Mustang?

I love tracking my 95 R, but I fret over every nick and scratch! Maybe I would have the same feelings about a new Boss, but I am ready to retire the 95 to show status and very occasional track days and move on to something new.

Motor Trend says is will be stripped down somewhat and use less sound deadening, 425 hp Hurricane motor and some of the Shelby styling. Only 1000 of them to be built.

Any idea if they know what they are talking about?

Tell me more................Street legal???

Which Motor Trend?

Thanks, Robert

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
boss

Robert M said:

Which Motor Trend?

Thanks, Robert
Street legal, yes without a doubt. I dont think FORD would sell a non street legal car thru the dealership network.

Fourcam330

Established Member
I haven't heard anything about a 5.0 Hurricane/Boss variant (yes I saw the new MT) just 5.8L+. I doubt Ford could make 425hp with a 5.0L 2v (which the Hurricane/Boss's are).

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Robert M said:

Which Motor Trend?

Thanks, Robert

It is in the front of the Jan 2007 MT... Along with an anouncement that the Bullitt is a go...

93SVTCobra said:
Motor Trend :bs:

So, Mark, how do we get the real scoop?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
scottmartin said:
Street legal, yes without a doubt. I dont think FORD would sell a non street legal car thru the dealership network.

I did not see any mention of how these cars were going to be offered, dealership, etc. Since the Boy Racers were offered, but not street legal, I was not sure if this was going to be the same type of deal.

R

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
Robert M said:
I did not see any mention of how these cars were going to be offered, dealership, etc. Since the Boy Racers were offered, but not street legal, I was not sure if this was going to be the same type of deal.

R
I thought the boyracer was actually available thru the dealerships parts department and not thru the sales side of the operation. Scott

1993R

Established Member
With Ford's present financial situation I think the R/Boy Racer program is dead for a couple of years. Look at SVT's present situation. Yes they will produce some specialty street legal cars but they have to make some profitable units. I'm not talking about GT-40's either

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I like the 69 C stripe...

tb_121.jpg
tb_122.jpg

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
the new boss is supposed to fill the enormous gap between the regular gt and gt500, now the have the shelby GT but my buddy at the dealership said as of now the boss is a go

who knows though
the adrenaline was a go too and look at that :(

95R#177

Established Member
hollant said:
It is in the front of the Jan 2007 MT... Along with an anouncement that the Bullitt is a go...

So, Mark, how do we get the real scoop?

I know in Mark's position, he can't say much. However, from his previous insights, I'd speculate on something like this...street legal or course, but with a weight reduction program applied, a n/a 5.0 version of the 4.6 DOHC--using enough of the 4.6 to streamline emissions cert. req., only a manual trans., suspension and brakes from the GT500.

I think it would be neat to see these inexpensive additions...factory battery relo to rear of car, factory brake cooling ducts, rear seat delete, radio delete, crank windows, race seats, ram air system through GT headlight hole, and heat extract hood vents.

My personal view is "screw the Bullit", bring us "BOSS".

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, it is obvious what it will not be.

I'd love to see a Boss-302-like car built to the new platform. I'm sure I'll be in line for one as soon as it is announced.

I'd never open-track it. I think the perfect open track newer Mustang is already being made (and is much cheaper than the new "Boss"). It's the regular Mustang GT. You can now buy a slightly used first year Mustang GT around here for a little over $20K. You can add a few mods to the car and have an excellent $25K track car. I'd guess the new "Boss" will be a $40K car (price + mods).

I just read an interesting article. Insurance companies are now re-writing their personal auto policies to exclude any accident on a racing surface. This is a change from the previous "racing exclusion". You should read that new policy when it comes in the mail. A new M3 just found about his exclusion the hard way: After he totaled it.

I think the FR500C replaced the R-models. I don't every see another street R-model from Ford (JMO).

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
scottmartin said:
I thought the boyracer was actually available thru the dealerships parts department and not thru the sales side of the operation. Scott

I don't know? but I assumed that since it (boy racer) was not a street legal, or even a titled car, it was not available through normal dealership channels. That is why I was asking about the Musatng in the M.T. magazine. I did not see any mention of "how/where to buy" and fully streetable or more "boy racer" like.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
95R#177 said:
I know in Mark's position, he can't say much. However, from his previous insights, I'd speculate on something like this...street legal or course, but with a weight reduction program applied, a n/a 5.0 version of the 4.6 DOHC--using enough of the 4.6 to streamline emissions cert. req., only a manual trans., suspension and brakes from the GT500.

I think it would be neat to see these inexpensive additions...factory battery relo to rear of car, factory brake cooling ducts, rear seat delete, radio delete, crank windows, race seats, ram air system through GT headlight hole, and heat extract hood vents.

My personal view is "screw the Bullit", bring us "BOSS".

Yes, Yes and Yes!!

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I think the FR500C replaced the R-models. I don't every see another street R-model from Ford (JMO).

You are raining on my parade^^^^^^, not that I could afford a $40K+ car right now anyway, or the space to store it, but maybe the two 2-Tops would have to go? Hummm! Actually if 1000 were to be built, they would be somewhat plentiful (like a 94 pace car, etc.) in comparision to any of the previous R-Models. I would wait and buy one from an original owner a couple of years after the fact, no miles, wrappers, etc., when the hype is gone

The thing about the FR500C's, from what I saw in print, there was not much attention paid to them, yes there was "some" print, but not anywhere near the the amount of the 95 and 00R's. I would have to ask why was this? I would guess the major difference was the "street legal" (huge following) vs. "not street legal" (limited following) among other things, price, etc.? But I have seen many other street legal cars in the $100K-$125K price range with much more print, so I would guess that price was not really that big of a factor.

R

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
as far as i know the only 5.0 will be the crate motors from frpp. ford is bringing out larger boss motors to run in the mustang and f series i do not see ford going through the time effort and expense to push the 5.0 motor through epa just for one car of limited numbers.

ford is also currently working on a gt500kr. a race ready car with a goal of under 3300lbs and about 550hp. so no the boss will not replace the svt r cars.

jv84venom

Established Member
The "Boy/Man" Racers are technically not cars for sale, but considered a "part", as they are given a Ford part # through the Ford Motorsports catalogue. Anyone interested in buying one through a Ford dealer should do so out of state so you can avoid sales tax!!! It sure adds up on a 100,000!
There is not title, so you don't have to worry about the motor vehicle agency asking how much you paid. Personally, I think you can buy a "body in white" and build one for a lot less............

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Unfortunately I can't say anything about future products except that you are all in my thoughts during our meetings :)

I can say that you won't see crank windows on a Mustang as there isn't a door panel or window mechanism to accomodate them.

Do me one favor..... please don't believe anything you read until you see a press release from Ford. Dealers don't know what is coming, MT DEFINITELY doesn't know what is coming.

Start saving your pennies.....

Users who are viewing this thread