Will the 5.8 engine continue in the new S550

Will the 5.8 engine continue and a new S550

• Total voters

1FASFKR

Established Member
351 Cleaver; 351 Windsor; Now the 351 Trinity. All icons.

The Windsor was hardly an iconic motor. Considered a slug to the Cleveland. The Cleveland was rumored to have higher compression. I dunno, had something to do with the folks in the Cleveland plant wanting to be a little better than the folks at the Windsor plant...

Last edited:

Established Member
The Windsor was hardly an iconic motor. Considered a slug to the Cleveland. The Cleveland was rumored to have higher compression. I dunno, had something to do with the folks in the Cleveland plant wanting to be a little better than the folks at the Windsor plant...

The only problem the Windsor had was a lack of aftermarket or factory support. It is a bigger 289 and nobody complains about those. The Cleveland has oiling problems and big block ports and valves with the good combustion chambers or crummy combustion chambers with realistic ports and valves. (Australian heads excepted).

It's a myth the Cleveland was a superior motor. Apples and oranges.

1FASFKR

Established Member
The only problem the Windsor had was a lack of aftermarket or factory support. It is a bigger 289 and nobody complains about those. The Cleveland has oiling problems and big block ports and valves with the good combustion chambers or crummy combustion chambers with realistic ports and valves. (Australian heads excepted).

It's a myth the Cleveland was a superior motor. Apples and oranges.

The Windsor enjoys a very healthy aftermarket. After all, it's been the only motor in mustang since 1974.

Cleveland heads were far superior at the top end to the Windsor's.

Back in the 70's the Windsor was not considered a perfomance engine at all. All of the Ford drag racers and NASCAR teams ran the Cleveland, not a Windsor in sight. In fact, Ford is still running Cleveland heads in NASCAR.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
It will, only if you buy one of each, then have someone with considerable skills put them together.

Established Member
The Windsor enjoys a very healthy aftermarket. After all, it's been the only motor in mustang since 1974.

Sure, now they do but even as late as 1988 there were only 2 decent intake manifolds available. 1969 was the first Mustang with a 351W.

Cleveland heads were far superior at the top end to the Windsor's.

Sure at 6000 and above. And they sucked big time during any street duty. Again Apples and oranges.

Back in the 70's the Windsor was not considered a perfomance engine at all.

Agreed, but it had A LOT of potential. It is a 289 with a 1" taller deck.

All of the Ford drag racers and NASCAR teams ran the Cleveland, not a Windsor in sight. In fact, Ford is still running Cleveland heads in NASCAR.

Every team, even Toyota is running a "Cleveland" head now. But they are Cleveland heads in the same way a modern top fuel hemi head is the same as a 396 Hemi head.

We are probably saying the same thing. BUT, the 351W is a very capable engine with modern intake and cylinder head design. It is the Small block of choice for most Cobras, Hot rods and Many mustangs.

The 351N SVO Windsor head was so dominant in levels below Winston Cup, they were essentially outlawed in circle track racing.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Sure, now they do but even as late as 1988 there were only 2 decent intake manifolds available. 1969 was the first Mustang with a 351W.

The aftermarket for anything wasn't great in the 70's and 80's...compared to today. Sure the 351W was in the Mustang in 1969 but like I said, the 351W was "only" motor in the Mustang since 1974.

Sure at 6000 and above. And they sucked big time during any street duty. Again Apples and oranges.

Yep, the Windsor was the better truck motor...

We are probably saying the same thing. BUT, the 351W is a very capable engine with modern intake and cylinder head design. It is the Small block of choice for most Cobras, Hot rods and Many mustangs.

In keeping with the time period in context. The Cleveland motor ran hotter than the Windsor. It was not a myth. There may be a few factors to consider when saying the Windsor is the small block of choice these days. Availability, cost and aftermarket support to name a couple.

Established Member
Yep, the Windsor was the better truck motor...

Yup, just like the 351M, 400M, 460, and even the Romeo 5.4.

I am not arguing the Cleveland is bad (Well, the block is hence the wholesale conversion to canted valves on Windsor blocks), just that the 351W is a capable and well proven performer.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I voted yes as it is possible. And to those that say the termmy was a 2 year deal you guys also need to kmow it was a 4.6 gt iron block. Nothing special only internals were upgraded. The heads were the same on the 03-04 cobra and mach. Also ford used the 4.6 from 92-2011. The 5.8 for 2 years only doesnt sound very cost effective. But only time will tell.

rwboring

Established Member
351 Cleaver; 351 Windsor; Now the 351 Trinity. All icons.

Huh... The w didn't have the aftermarket till recently and now the w is a much better build... Just look at the new stroker kits... Stock vs stock the c took it but not so much now

Posted via Topify on Android

Established Member
Huh... The w didn't have the aftermarket till recently and now the w is a much better build... Just look at the new stroker kits... Stock vs stock the c took it but not so much now

You can't reason this out with poster. He enjoys spending $3000+ at the machine shop keeping all the oil from ending up in the valve covers, using port plates on the intake runners and cutting the entire exhaust side of the head off and reattaching it higher up. Cause, hey, we have only known for 25 years that sewer pipe sized runners do not make more power like they thought 44 years ago.

But they have 4 bolt mains.....oh wait, Windsors have had those too since 1986.

:lol:

Seriously, if it is a Ford, it is all good. 351C are good motors, but 351W are too. :beer:

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It's actually 355 cubic inches (5812 cc). (354.67 rounded up to 355)

93.5mm bore x 105.8mm stroke.

If you want to be exact.

Being exact, and rounding up, is a bit contradictive. But, you're correct, it's certainly closer to 355ci than it is to 351ci.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You can't reason this out with poster. He enjoys spending $3000+ at the machine shop keeping all the oil from ending up in the valve covers, using port plates on the intake runners and cutting the entire exhaust side of the head off and reattaching it higher up. Cause, hey, we have only known for 25 years that sewer pipe sized runners do not make more power like they thought 44 years ago.

But they have 4 bolt mains.....oh wait, Windsors have had those too since 1986.

:lol:

Seriously, if it is a Ford, it is all good. 351C are good motors, but 351W are too. :beer:

Both good motors, I'll take a 460" stroked Windsor bottom end with a Cleveland canted valve head/intake upper end if I'm choosing.
I currently have a 427" stroked 351W with TFS High Port heads and should be making 12-1400hp next weekend on the dyno...the huge turbo helps that :rockon:
BUT, if this motor ever needs extensive changes, I really think my LX will get a built 5.8/coyote or even 6.2L stroker--can't argue with the advantages of the modern motors!
I voted NO, I think the Trinity and 'big-block' Mustangs are done, but if it comes back, I'll probably sell some organs to add one to the stable.
-J

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
One would think someone from Ford would indicate if there was or was not going to be Trinity engines produced in the future because,

1. Dealers would be more willing to sell remaining GT500 Mustangs in the showroom if Ford will continue to produce the trinity engine
2. Buyers could maybe get a better deal on a 2014 GT500 if Ford will continue to produce the Trinity engine
3. Dealers could sell the 2014 GT500 for more if the Trinity engine is discontinued .

Users who are viewing this thread