Will the 17" ET Streets fit stock wheel?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I am looking to get 2 more stock wheels for track use. I would like to run the ET Street 26x11.5x17 tire, but not sure if it will fit. The M/T website lists an 11" measuring rim. The 275/40/17 ET Street Radial has nearly the same tire dimensions, but they list a 9" rim for this tire. Almost seems like the 11" on the ET Street page is a typo?? Not sure. Thought I have seen some of the ET Streets on stock Cobra wheels before on this forum. Just wanting to verify that others are using this combination (or at least using a 9" wide wheel for the 17" ET Street tire). Thanks for any input you can provide on this.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Is this the combination you use? If so, I'd like to hear how you launch (technique and 60' times) and if you have any rear end upgrades. I have the BF diff. brace and all diff. bushings have been replaced, but that's it. I'd like to find out from others just how hard they launch on these tires without breakage. I've broken a shaft before and would like to avoid doing it again. Even if it means a softer launch. Any pics of this wheel/tire combo? I would very much like to see that as well. Thanks again for any input.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I have that combo, with the same IRS upgrades as you. I launch at 4500rpm, with just a quick slip of the clutch. IMO the half shafts should be just fine with this type of launch. I also don't powershift. I only get mid 1.7's, but I suck at launching and my car only has 445rwtq, which is not a ton for a full weight car.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Well that's encouraging enough for me. Mid 1.7's would make my day. The best I've been able to get with the NItto's is high 1.9's. I'm not very good at launching either, but I'm also conerned about breaking another shaft. I'm hoping with the ET Streets that I can gain more traction while still being easy on the launch. I only have a little more tq, but its enough to spin the Nittos like they were spare's. I'll keep those for the street, but definitely need more for the track. BTW, what tire pressure do you use? And do you spin/hop at all? or is it hooking all the way? Thanks for the info.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Zero hop at all. I probably couldn't make them hop if I tried. I run ~16 psi. Some guys run less. The less you run, the more sway the car will have at 100+ MPH, so I tried to keep it safe. It hooks/spins at the same time. The tire will spin just a bit, but at the same time it's spinning, it pulls you forward. Definitely doesn't jerk the car forward like wheel hop does. Feels much softer on the drivetrain.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
The 26 X 11.50 X 17 will fit just fine on the stock 9" rims. I had a set of those tires mounted on a stock set of Anniversary rims... but I'll honestly admit that I didn't really like them that well. I hated the sway that they had when you drop the pressure down in them as it seemed pretty bad with a 17" tire size.

I'd rather run the 275/40 17 MT ET Street Radial than the ET Streets. The radials worked better for me in comparison and didn't have the sway that is associated with a bias-ply tire. I cut a 1.57 on the ET Street radials, compared to a 1.67 best on the 17" ET Streets.

Make your choice... but choose wisely :rolling:

Shannon

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
The soft sidewall of the bias ply tire should help cushion the launch much better than a radial. The sway is part of the package and I get that even when airing down the Nittos, so its not a big deal to me. I am only using them at the track anyway. Thanks for the input everyone. My decision is made.

Users who are viewing this thread