will not go into 1st gear. all other gears shift fine

ajm1109

Established Member
As the title says, when running and on take off it will not go into 1st gear. I can put it in 2nd and then it will go into first, but from neutral its like there is a wall not lettting the shifter go into 1st. I dont hear any wierd sounds nor do i beat on her to hard. Just went to leave the driveway the other day and it would not go into first without putting it in second first. I have researched all over this site and others and can not find any answers or anyone else that has had this problem. Like i said there is no grind, just feels like there is nowhere for the shifter to go. I have inspected the clutch cable and eveything looks intact and tight. There is no abnormal play in the pedal either. I am lost at to what the problem is. Oh and it is as far as i know its the stock clutch and the car is mostly stock with only 47k on her. Only things done to my 04 cobra is intake, catback, and sct tuner. One more side note is that while the car is off the shifter goes into every gear with no issues including 1st.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

ajm1109

Established Member
well it looks like the problem went away on its own. this morning i started her up and just out of muscle memory put it into 1st gear and away i went! Its just really weird how just last week i couldnt get it in 1st and now i can.

slseals

Established Member
Mine is doing the same thing, almost impossible to get into first for several days, then it works perfect for a few weeks. I actually thought it went away completely, but this morning it was back again. I have only had the car a couple month, and it was a garage queen, so I thought going to daily driver had worked out the kink, but not so. Every once in a while reverse is like that, but not as often as first.

Users who are viewing this thread