Will my drivetrain be okay at the track with drag radials?

Glen

Established Member
I really, really want to track the Cobra this summer. The car has no suspension modifications or upgraded differential cover, and is also on the stock 10-spline input shaft. The car makes 450RWHP/457TQ on a dynojet. It currently has Sumitomo's (Ewwww) all around.

This is a daily driver for the summer time (storing it for winter) but I want to hit the dragstrip sooner or later.

If I slap a new set of NT-555R's on the rear and heat them up really well, will the car likely break something at this power level? I plan to launch maybe around 3,000 - 3,500 RPM at the track. My biggest concern is the stock input shaft snapping if there is enough wheel hop, but I can't imagine it being a problem with sticky tires on the back.

Any insight, tips or horror stories would be appreciated.

- G

Blueline

Established Member
Your biggest worry isn't going to be your input shaft. Yes it is a weak link, but at your power levels not a high priority. Your biggest issues are going to be the rear of the car. At the minimum, I would put in a diff. brace and some diff. and rear IRS bushings. Your going to experience wheel hop which is going to reek havoc on the rear and suspension. At min. Brace and bushings and if possible some subframe connectors. GL!!

rudycobra

Established Member
My first time I had 555rs at 440 hp and no bushings or brace , tire press at 15 and had no issues . Keep pressure low like said above just remember to let of if do feel any wheel hop . I just installed ftbr kit and 26 spline just because clutch was slipping .

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Irs brace or Lpw cover,full tilt boogie bushing kit,subframe conectors & you can run it all day than drive home!

Glen

Established Member
I feel that the IRS Brace and bushings would certainly solve the issue. Depending on time and money, I may do one or both. Tire pressure at 15 PSI? Will definitely remember to do that. I have no trouble doing burnouts, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of grip.

Users who are viewing this thread