Will my car pass CA smog???

Cobreezy

Established Member
My car has a 2.6L KB, 60 lb injectors, SCT 2400 MAF, UPR x-pipe with high flow cats, MAC exhaust and Steeda CAI. Will this set-up pass CA smog??? :??:

Anyone in northern Cali, specifically the bay area, know of any mod friendly smog shops? If you know what I mean.:idea:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
As long as your car doesnt throw any codes, and all your emission systems are CARB certified it should pass. But im not expert.

divided

Established Member
As long as your car doesnt throw any codes, and all your emission systems are CARB certified it should pass. But im not expert.

That is completely wrong. Cali's smog rules are super strict. They could fail him because of the blower, emissions, for sure the midpipe, etc...

SVT GI

Established Member
I know someone that failed a smog (visual test) with a K&N FIPK. Took it to someone else and no problems.

I took mine last year to the same place when it had a K&N FIPK, BF 2.76 upper, stock exhaust and a Diablo tune in it and passed. :shrug:

Depends who you go to and what their mood is on a particular day I guess.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Obviously you fail the visual but lots of places won't sweat you on that. I would bet that you fail the sniffer as well but if you can swtich back to your stock tune, you stand a way better chance.

venomous99

Established Member
alden..u should be able to pass smog through the tailpipe if your smog shop isnt too picky about the visual and u have healthy cats otherwise, its best to put back the stock 4 cat pipe and then smog. i have the same catted pipe as u and i can tell u now, i doubt they'll pass.

Cobreezy

Established Member
alden..u should be able to pass smog through the tailpipe if your smog shop isnt too picky about the visual and u have healthy cats otherwise, its best to put back the stock 4 cat pipe and then smog. i have the same catted pipe as u and i can tell u now, i doubt they'll pass.

Thanks Alex! Do you know anyone who has stock H for my car?

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
My car has a 2.6L KB, 60 lb injectors, SCT 2400 MAF, UPR x-pipe with high flow cats, MAC exhaust and Steeda CAI. Will this set-up pass CA smog??? :??:

Anyone in northern Cali, specifically the bay area, know of any mod friendly smog shops? If you know what I mean.:idea:

Sense I just went through hell here passing emissions, I think our 5 gas dyno stations are worse than what you deal with. I had to put back on my stock mid pipe ( Moded for headers) Had a emission tune made(stock tune is not safe on my Cobra) and ran out most of the gas and put 4 gals of E-85, it passed easily. It loved the E-85.

MY DREAM

Established Member
If you have the CARB sticker for the blower, good for that.

Does your CAI have a CARB sticker? Yes, good to go, No, may have a prob. Depends on if it still uses the tube from the valve cover to the intake tube. If it does use the mentioned tube, should be good.

90% sure that you will not pass sniffer test with the Cats you have on thier, you will need to choke it out with the stock 4 Cats.

I have done this a few times.

James

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I just had mine smogged.

I has weld i flows, CAI, 2.8 pulley, 4# lower (I think), and is down one cylinder ;(

total leak in cyl #7.

and it passed easy.

there is nothing in your setup that looks like it should be a problem. Supercharged cars when tuned right run real clean anyway.

I asked about the x-pipe and they said so long as it has cats it should work, so long as the emissions are in check.

I know whipples are CARB certified. Not sure about KB. but talk to your dyno guy about "special" smog guys.

I got mine done the legit way.

Cobreezy

Established Member
So I just want to let everyone know that our cars will pass smog even if it has a CAI, upgraded blower, x-pipe with cats and exhaust. :rockon: I did a pre-test and it passed, but barely. I guess the next time I need to smog, I'll need to put the stock cats back on. :(

By the way, how often do our cars need to be smogged in California? :shrug:

Thanks everyone for your input! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread