Will my 03 pass Ca. smog? (SLP High flow catted x)

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
I feel like a rookie asking this, and in a way I am. I have had several mustangs since I can remember (including 2 terminators), but I have kinda neglicted my 03 for a couple years now (not maintence, just driving-been on non-op). My daily driver's alter. just took a crap on me and I am missing the cobra. So I want to get it back on the road. The problem is I am not sure it will pass the CA. smog test. I was wondering if someone here can tell me if it will pass no prob, or don't even bother. I have SLP high flow catted x-pipe: SLP ONLINE - COOKIES ARE DISABLED on a borla stinger catback. Although the x has cats, it has triggered the check engine light. I know I can fix the check engine light by installing some MIL eliminators, but I was wondering if the cobra would still not pass the sniffer test? It is in tip top condition (only has 17K miles haven't used it in the last couple years), just was wondering. I know it will pass the visiual because I will fix the check engine light and it has cats, just not sure about the sniffer. Any input? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
Do you have your old H pipe ? you can always bolt that back on and take it to a shop and have it smog checked. After it clears you can re-install your SLP X.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
should pass the sniffer, make sure the car is nice and hot when they test it. The visual might be an issue depends on the tech that inspects it.

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
mine pased.. your pass the sniffer no problem.
take it to a place with an in-floor roller.. if they get it up in the air, it'll fail for sure.

mustangal

Established Member
ok so the 03 is supposed to have how many cats total? 4? or two..im facing the same issue in cali...i have 2 cats one on each side...she runs great and i keep up on maintenance..but when i got it she had 3 inch all madndrel bent and 2 cats with welded H pipe. Im a little concerned...also. i need to put in factory iar cleaner right?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
4 cats in the stock H. If you need to borrow one, I kept mind when I switched to the X. I'll loan it to you when smog time comes around :beer:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Mine passed (barely) with an MRT catted H. You just need to go to a place that can overlook a few mods. I do have a stock H if you need to use it.

mustangal

Established Member
Ah sweet thanks guys....well when i got the car it had custom exhaust all mandrel bent 3 inch with only 2 cats...the real problem is that its all welded and one piece...so in order to put in an h with 4 cats i would have to take it to a shop..and have it cut up into sections so that i could make it bolt on...or pay someone to pass it....im thinking cats is going to run me about 300 plus the install aqnd conversion...sigh..i was dreading this. I think i can pay 200 to get it passed...or try to take it to someone that will not look under it...they look for factory air box also right? I got that still thank goodness.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
wow california's laws are dumb.... i've never gotten asked for any of that.. only thing they really check is the tint

biggest problem is the sniffer. These smog guys don't really know cars that well, so you usually get away visually with an after market X or H. But if it doesn't sniff clean....you're done. That is usually the problem with an aftermarket midpipe....they use two cats to eliminate backpressure, but they aren't nearly as good at cleaning up what's coming out the back :beer:

mustangal

Established Member
so the odds are that they will not notice that im missing two but if it sniffs dirty im assed out. I might just do a check before my actual test..and yes cali is the hardest to pass in the nation. sucks

Users who are viewing this thread