Will I Need a Tune to Start With Rebuilt Engine?

JeronimoJC

Established Member
Hi guys, I am hoping someone here can help me answer a tuning question.

I am installing a short block stroker at home. I am planing on breakin-in the engine for a few hundred miles before I install a supercharger and get a dyno tune. The question is will I be able to start the car with the new stroker without making any changes to my current tune? I'll have the same fuel system, injectors, MAF, intake, exhaust, etc. the only difference will be the longer stroke.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mainn

Established Member
Everything in the current tune would be wrong as nothing would be adjusted or scaled for your new displacement. I'd imagine it might start, but will run like poop.

cj428mach

Established Member
It more than likely will run fine for low load break in.

I started my 351C 4v on a stock A9L 5.0 tune with 30lb injectors and "calibrated maf". The car ran fine like that until I decided to throw down on a quarterhorse and self tune.

Last edited:

Mainn

Established Member
It more than likely will run fine for low load break in.

I started my 351C 4v on a stock A9L 5.0 tune with 30lb injectors and "calibrated maf". The car ran fine like that until I decided to throw down on a quarterhorse and self tune.

Well there's some first hand experience for ya. I was wrong. :)

Speedy308

Established Member
Yeah you should be fine since you arent changing injectors or MAF, remember air flow is through the MAF so even if its pulling more air through, itll add the required fuel assuming the MAF was scaled right in your current tune.

Users who are viewing this thread