Will I gain anything with these?

PJM99

Established Member
You guys think I'll gain anything by adding these to my car. I'm think that I may lose some low end torque. They look great, which is part of the reason I want them but I don't want to hurt my numbers. What do you think?

fms-m-9430-p51_w.jpg

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You won't lose a thing.

Are they 1 5/8 FMS? I love the look of those. I've contemplated pulling my Macs and going FMS, simply because they look so much better. Well, that and the fact that my plug wire boots won't keep getting burnt... :D

PJM99

Established Member
Yep, they're the 1 5/8 FMS. They're beautiful headers. Very well built. Friend put some on his stock GT and they look great. He didn't notice much difference. But my car and his are night and day difference IMO.

buddha93

Established Member
You'll gain more than you lose. Those single flange headers from Ford fit will and look nice.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
They'll work even better if you run some free flowing mufflers along with a 2.5 inch (or bigger) exhaust setup. Your exhaust is usually only as good as the smallest orafice along the system.

blown...

PJM99

Established Member
I've got a offroad H and flowmaster right now. 2 1/4 inch though

Rufus

Established Member
1 5/8 FMS Headers

PJM99 - I put a set of those on my car at around 25,000 miles. At the same time I bumped the timing to 13 deg BTDC and removed the silencer. While I wouldn't say it made a big difference, the car did seem to run a little stronger. I think in order to really prove any benefit, you'd have to measure 1/4 mile time, compare against against another car (before and after), test with a G-Tech Pro, etc.

The installation was very 'straight forward'. Now at nearly 200,000 miles, the headers are still fine, although I haven't kept 'em as clean as I probably should have.

Best Regards,
Bob S.

PJM99

Established Member
great, glad to hear they've lasted so long. Thanks

SVT Fun

Established Member
One more real world "do it man" for the M9430-P51 ceramic coated FMS headers. Best shorty header on the market, subjectively speaking, of course. Love the continuous flange. Had the MAC's, the BBK headers, etc., none even compare to the build quality. And the look of those non coated headers after 5,000 miles -- pure unsightly. Remember, Ford placed a lifetime warranty on the M9430-P51 for a reason. That alone is proof of the quality.

Even emissions legal, too.

Again, subjectively speaking, the P51 header really doesn't begin to open up until 3,600 RPM (really starts to perform over 4,000 RPM) and pulls good until the shift point of 5,500 RPM, 6,000 RPM, 6,250 RPM, 6,500 RPM (whatever the upper limit of the shift point is).

Users who are viewing this thread