Will he get his price??

steeda_007

Established Member
I just came across this notice on the SVRA web site:

1995 IMSA Cobra R Mustang - #82 of 250 built. Documented IMSA/SCCA history. Steeda-built and campaigned car. Cleanest, most original IMSA Cobra R on the planet! Matching numbers. Original parts go with car. Currently street driven! Fresh HSR Group 9 tech. Eligible for SVRA. SCCA log book. It ran three (3) IMSA GS events in 1996 and eight (8) SCCA T-1 races in 1998. See car at Sebring HSR event. $42,500/offers. 239-549-1533 - cell 239-823-5432 (FL) 09/05

That's a hell of a price if it goes... What's the history on the car?

r82of250

Established Member
Yep, it's my car. And that is a helluva price! Because it's a helluva car! Pics are available. Send me your email add.

Dean S

r82of250

Established Member
1993R said:
Dean my email is [email protected] it will bounce off my spam protector but I will get it and add you to my address book. Questions may follow.....

Pics are comin' at you. Sorry for the ssslllooowwww format.

Dean

ps sending a brief mechanical detail on another email.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
b.jpg

a.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993R said:
Questions may follow.....
Hey Larry,
I can vouch for the car. I've seen it several times when Dean brought it over to our paddock at a few HSR Sebring races (he let me sit in it but said no to a little track time :nono: ).

The car has to be in the best condition of any of the old IMSA cars. It also has the SCCA logbook which makes it even more unique.

It has been approved by HSR and SVRA as a legal (to race) and documented (provenance) pro race history car. At one of the vintage races at Sebring one of the original drivers came over and commented on the car.

I think Tom would agree that you will find about 10 real R IMSA cars and another 15 clone cars.

All it needs in order to race is some fresh belts, a freshened fire bottle, and some new race tires. IMO, it's too nice to risk injury in NASA/AV8SS, but it is perfect for vintage. HSR is supposed to announce some new FIA classes before January for the upcoming season. Those classes would require that the cars run as they did originally. No modern upgrades allowed.
HSRrace.com SVRA.com

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
The car has to be in the best condition of any of the old IMSA cars.
Doc, I agree that Dean's R is very nice but there are several original IMSA R's out there in very good condition. 2 Carlisle cars, the Gemini Racing R's in Arizona, my R faired well (still has all original body panels)...

1995COBRA-R said:
It has been approved by HSR and SVRA as a legal (to race) and documented (provenance) pro race history car.
What is the best way to go about getting a car approved?

r82of250

Established Member
CobraR77 said:
there are several original IMSA R's out there in very good condition. 2 Carlisle cars, the Gemini Racing R's in Arizona

Todd,

Is the Gemini Racing R the one we saw for sale in the Collector Car Trader earlier this year? I think the widow was selling it?

And I've not heard of the Carlisle cars, where are they now and when and where did they race?

Dean S
the guy with the "helluva Cobra R" :coolman:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
CobraR77 said:
What is the best way to go about getting a car approved?
Dean just drove his over to the tech shack. He carries around a ten pound scrapbook on the car :-D .

SVRA would require you to also provide the documentation of it's past history. Since Dean's has a SCCA logbook and the rollbar sticker, it is easily done. The IMSA cars are a little more difficult (esp. the clones) since IMSA didn't have logbooks. It's still just a matter of providing pics and other related paperwork. They don't charge anything. Monterey (General Racing, Ltd. [or GRL]) has the same rules but requires an application fee.

The heritage certificate is much harder to obtain. It is also pricey ($1700).
www.FIAHeritage.com

IMO, the more authentication the cars has; the more the future value. It seems to me it will be easier to do this now than wait while the original owners/drivers could be lost.

r82of250

Established Member
Well it's Christmas and I think I have found my "Dream Car", so it's time for my R to go to a new home!

NEW PRICE $34500.

Trades considered, but I'd rather not.

Thanks,
Dean

ps that sound you hear is me crying in my beer.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Ok Dean, whats the "dream car"?

Does your 95 have all the original sheet metal?

Brian

PS: PM me your phone number.

Last edited:

r82of250

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Ok Dean, whats the "dream car"?

Does your 95 have all the original sheet metal?

Brian

PS: PM me your phone number.

Sheet metal is all original as far as I can tell. The Ford part no. labels are on everything I have seen in the last 6+ years.

I would rather not say anything about the "Dream Car", don't want to jinx the deal.

And you have a PM, Brian.

Dean

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
r82of250 said:
Sheet metal is all original as far as I can tell. The Ford part no. labels are on everything I have seen in the last 6+ years.

Dean
Dean, each of the original panels should have a DOT sticker with the VIN printed on it. Were they able to save all of the sheet metal after the 1996 incident at Road Atlanta?

r82of250

Established Member
CobraR77 said:
Dean, each of the original panels should have a DOT sticker with the VIN printed on it. Were they able to save all of the sheet metal after the 1996 incident at Road Atlanta?

Yep! From the pics I have the car sustained pretty much superficial damage. The worst was the front bumper cover was torn off. All the lights survived, the wing was OK, no broken glass, just bumps and bruises.

The DOT/VIN sticker is what I was referring to when I said "Ford stickers". Didn't know what else to call them.

Todd, I asked you about the "Gemini Racing" R-cars awhile back - where are they from and what's up with them now?

Dean

r82of250

Established Member
OK, went to the garage and checked for the DOT/VIN stickers and found them on the hood and both front fenders. Still looking at trunk lid and rear quarters - where would they be on the quarters? And what about the doors?

BTW, Todd thanks for reminding us all about the shunt at Road Atlanta (like I forgot, it's on the DVD you made for us!)

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread