Will FRPP sell the Boss engine?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Been brainstorming my resto project goals for my '93 and was wondering about a Coyote swap but now that the Boss is out it is clearly the better motor.

Will Ford sell this engine by itself?

It sure would be a helluva lot cheaper and more novel than slapping an FRPP Whipple kit (7 grand) on top of Coyote engine (another 7 grand).

Jfoster

Established Member
I think it's only available as a long block - $6100. Still a great deal, IMO. Probably $8k by the time you source the intake, injectors, fuel rails, harness...all that.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Whoa!

I wonder if this engine would work in a 2003 Cobra...

With an S/C installed of course!

Of course it would!!
That is why my mind is so deranged right now!:dw:
I would do it N/A though, but with the rev band and tune cranked up as high as it would safely rev.
With that BOSS intake retained, a Centri blower with external aftercooler would probably make more mid and top end, if it was designed right.

You(we) would need a Sean Hyland powersteering bracket and kit.(available)
The PCM and wire kit from FRPP.
The headers would probably need to be either modded or new ones made from scratch.
An H pipe would need to be fabbed.

You would want to use a big upper on a 2.3 twin screw and not on the 2.9 twin screw some guys are using, due to the comp ratio being already quite high, cylinder pressures would be really up there.
Of course you can always up the fuel system and run e85.

This thing is only one pound per horsepower.... 444hp - 444lbs.:banana::pepper::dancenana:

The power potential on this thing is SICK! The heads and valve train are like out of some dream.

Another thousand RPM of power band is very attractive to most road racer types... hell... any racer types!

Last edited:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Just out of curiousity, how does the Boss engine weight (444#) compare to our Terminator engine weight?

...hrm... lemme ask google too, real quick (although Jimmy probably has it committed to memory >.> ).

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just out of curiousity, how does the Boss engine weight (444#) compare to our Terminator engine weight?

...hrm... lemme ask google too, real quick (although Jimmy probably has it committed to memory >.> ).

LOL! No I don't. If you count the I/C system and the coolant inside it, I would not be surprised if was 100 pounds more.

It would be even more interesting to see what the dressed weight of both are.:beer:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Of course it would!!
That is why my mind is so deranged right now!:dw:
I would do it N/A though, but with the rev band and tune cranked up as high as it would safely rev.
With that BOSS intake retained, a Centri blower with external aftercooler would probably make more mid and top end, if it was designed right.

You(we) would need a Sean Hyland powersteering bracket and kit.(available)
The PCM and wire kit from FRPP.
The headers would probably need to be either modded or new ones made from scratch.
An H pipe would need to be fabbed.

You would want to use a big upper on a 2.3 twin screw and not on the 2.9 twin screw some guys are using, due to the comp ratio being already quite high, cylinder pressures would be really up there.
Of course you can always up the fuel system and run e85.

This thing is only one pound per horsepower.... 444hp - 444lbs.:banana::pepper::dancenana:

The power potential on this thing is SICK! The heads and valve train are like out of some dream.

Another thousand RPM of power band is very attractive to most road racer types... hell... any racer types!

Wow. thanks for answering. didn't expect such detail, but that is a welcome blessing.

Knowing the parts that may be necessary is a great headstart. Thank you.

I went for a ride in my neighbors new Boss last weekend. It is a sweeeeet car.

the thing handles like a dream and the engine pulls like it's boosting. didn't notice any low end torque problems at all. And at the high end, it is just wrong. LOL

Since I am already saving for a new engine for my Cobra, the availability of this engine is making me a little crazy. I really would love for the engine to be an upgrade. And this is insane. I know it's high compression, but keep it at low boost and it is still making big power.

time for a second job... LOL

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I want to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 650#

I think you are right, although it may be even more than that. The 03/04s are very similar to this engine but with shorter deck height blocks that are Iron and not Aluminum, I am almost thinking that would pretty much be a wash.

This complete Aluminum 5.4 with supercharger assembly is 717.
Ford Racing Performance Parts
M-6007-M54.jpg

The dry weight and the wet weight difference will be significant, since there are two cooling systems on a Terminator or even a GT500 engine, and the BOSS only has to fill one.

The advantages of this BOSS engine(if kept N/A) over an 03/04 Cobra or GT500 is not just a fantastic overall power to weight ratio but also includes a significantly lower CG.

M-6007-M50B.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread