Will catless exhaust pass state emission inspection?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Going to go look at pristine 2011 GT with 2.3L TVS supercharger this weekend. The vehicle also has cat-delete full 3" Borla exhaust. Vehicle (located in MA) has 16k miles on it and garage kept, pretty much like new.

I live in Rhode Island, where inspection is required. They hook their computer up through the ODB port. They used to stick a sniffer up the tailpipe, but no longer do that, just the OBD port is used nowadays.

Because of low miles and condition of vehicle, I doubt they would put car on lift or pull any wheels, thus the only test would be the state computer into the OBD port.

My question is: assuming inspection station hooks up to OBD port only (without putting vehicle on lift), would it be immediately apparent on their computer screen that the cats have been removed? NOTE: there are no 'check engine' lights currently on.

I would rather have the cats on there. I DO respect the planet and all that. But I will hardly ever drive the car, so pollution isn't much of an issue.

Thanks for some opinions on this, or where I might find an answer.

bigmoose

Established Member
You are allowed one monitor not ready to pass. My rear o2 monitor does not set and I pass. I do take it to someone who isn't a stickler and just cares that the obd test passes.

Overall the system in RI blows as it's all setup to help dealers upsell. I miss MA where it was basically a drive thru.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
You are allowed one monitor not ready to pass. My rear o2 monitor does not set and I pass. I do take it to someone who isn't a stickler and just cares that the obd test passes.

Overall the system in RI blows as it's all setup to help dealers upsell. I miss MA where it was basically a drive thru.

Oh man, what are the odds of finding someone in RI to answer this. Thanks very much! :) Can you elaborate a little bit more on "not ready to pass". What does that mean?

If their computer shows an o2 sensor missing, they will still let it pass? Or can they tell that it's missing?

Thanks again. Your info is VERY helpful.

bigmoose

Established Member
Basically there are 8 emission "monitors" that are supported by our cars. They are either ready, not ready, or unsupported. Unsupported is when they are "turned off" in the tune and this will fail. Ready/not ready is basically pass/fail.

It's possible that a stickler could see the O2 failure and then go looking for cats.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Great info, thanks again. I guess I still don't understand how the inspection station has any leeway. The guy I would go to is NOT a stickler at all, but he has to connect to the state system.

Are you basically saying that with one 'failed' O2 sensor, it will still pass?

Thanks so much.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. You are allowed to have one emission sensor fail and the overall test will be a pass.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. You are allowed to have one emission sensor fail and the overall test will be a pass.

Oh man, you're awesome, thanks very much. This is huge help. ;)

Do you do any tuning? You're pretty close to me and I plan on doing some more mods to the car.

Thanks, Dave F.

bigmoose

Established Member
Nope. I have Pete at performance dyno in NH do my tuning. Best in the area.

stang910

Established Member
On the 2011+ cars you can have all 8 monitors "ready" and not throw any codes so yes it will pass. The issue you will run into is if the tuner knows how to set the tune up to do this and then if he does if he'll actually do it for you. Nonfoulers will work also.

Users who are viewing this thread