Will be storing my 04 SVT Cobra for 6-7 months. Is it good to run the car everyday?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Once a month is plenty. Turn the wheel a little to run the ps pump, run the ac for a few minutes, pump the brakes a few times, clutch in and row gears a little without much force.

Avoid prolonged idling. It'll fowl a colder plug pretty quickly. When it is over 150° coolant and 150° oil, give it some mile revs to 4000rpm or so, hold it around 3500 for a few seconds 5-6 times. This will get the alternator happier.

All of this should take 5-10 minutes. The revs for the alternator will put good heat into the engine. This is nice for the head gaskets, and oil pump. Running the ac adds some load. Inch it forward and back a little to break up any coagulation on drivetrain components.

When I store for winter, I keep a tank of shell nitrogen gas with stabilizer. I do the above routine once a month or just actually drive it if it's nice weather and the roads are free of salt/grime. I also like to spray off the undercarriage and inner wheels (from under and opposite corner) and roll forward 3 feet and do the other half of the wheel.

My garage is heated so I do the spray wand in the driveway and bleed in an ionizer with a rust inhibitor. The hose adapted better tanks are $10.
The chemical is $5 a gallon at a Napa or online. I use a leaf blower with a flexible vacuum hose attachment after when it's in the garage to blow must everything off.

For the tires, it's nice to heat cycle them once or twice, or jack the car up, pull the wheels and support the suspension with a well positioned blocks of wood. Take 2 2x4's or a 4x4 and cut them to an appropriate height 4 times. This is to rest under the brake disk on all corners. Iirc 1/5/12ft up front with a 9" jack stand and 1/7/12ft at the rear with factory sized rotors but I built mine years ago. Anyways, clamp or screw them together for a strong enough block Don't use cinderblocks. They suck in all ways both for this application and for the rotor itself. Then treat the wheels/tires with protectant and store them in a warmer place. My garage is heated now so I don't pull my wheels anymore, but I will this year so I don't flag spot them.

Good luck, it will be very tempting to take the car snow drifting... avoid the temptation..... it's a bitch to clean everything afterwards

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
I thoroughly wash my car, fill up on gas, add fuel stabilizer, throw on the trickle charger, car cover, and leave it from the beginning of Oct - late April. If you don't have a heated garage then I would suggest putting carpets/cardboard boxes under each tire. Never had any issues and I don't start my car during the 6 month storage, but that's just me. Do what you think will work best for you.

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
I thoroughly wash my car, fill up on gas, add fuel stabilizer, throw on the trickle charger, car cover, and leave it from the beginning of Oct - late April. If you don't have a heated garage then I would suggest putting carpets/cardboard boxes under each tire. Never had any issues and I don't start my car during the 6 month storage, but that's just me. Do what you think will work best for you.

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
Is it safe to leave the trickle charger on whole time in that period?

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Is it safe to leave the trickle charger on whole time in that period?

It depends on what type of batter tender you use. Some will overcharge your battery. I use an automatic battery tender that goes into float mode once it has been fully charged. I keep it on the entire duration as it gets pretty cold around here (below -50 at times).

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Shit once mine is put up for winter it doesn’t get started until it’s ready to come out in spring. It’s been fine. Done my 92 GT like this since 04. I bought it in 03. I used to start it every other week in the 03 winter and my automotive teacher advised against that.

He had a 70 GS 1 Buick Skylark and a 71 AMX and did it the way I’ve done it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Would it be better to fire up once a week or two?

As we all know, the engine needs a much richer mixture when temps are cooler (ambient and/or engine). Thus when starting a cold engine on a cold day, the engine is gonna run super-rich for a while. All this extra fuel washes away oil protection, allowing extra wear and tear especially in the combustion chamber area, and extra blow-by gets into the engine oil, contaminating the oil. This is why I shudder at the thought of starting my car in the middle of winter and just letting it idle for a few minutes until the thermostat opens, and then shutting it down.

Better off IMHO to prep the engine for storage (if long term, like a year or more) by fogging or similar process. Use Stabil (or similar) in fuel. And also use battery tender of some sort.

If I am overly concerned about starting an engine (i.e., oil draining off critical parts) after it has been sitting for 4 or 5 months, then I will disable the spark (and maybe even remove spark plugs) and turn key to crank engine until I see oil pressure come up, then I re-enable spark and start engine.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I've only done this once since I only bought the car last November but I like to get it out a couple times if I can. May be way too cold there, but on a 40 deg day I'll take it for a quick spin. Just drive it around gingerly (DR tires) until it's all the way warmed up. Then go do a 140 pull on the highway j/k. I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that Stabil will lower your octane so I always run a tank through before I give it the beans in the Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread