Will adding boost reduce the life of your engine?

GT500guy

I have a 2008 GT500 and I was going to have a smaller supercharger pulley added to the stock GT500 supercharger which would at at least 5lbs of boost but a mechanic, who I trust, says its not a good idea since it will reduce the life of the motor. I was under the impression that the motor could handle a lot more. Can someone clear this up for me?

JP_Stang

Established Member
Even a bone stock car can have a short engine life. There are a million different things that can go wrong to any motor. With that being said, technically, as long as you are not surpassing the limits of the parts inside the motor and the block itself, the life of the motor will depend on how you drive and take care of it. I believe Ford built the GT500 motors to easily take a little more horsepower and abuse.

I say do all the mods you want man! Just make sure to have the car tuned after each power upgrade!! Tuning is a big part of the life of the motor. It wouldn't hurt to invest in some gauges to monitor everything. I like to do this when I start modding so that I know what is going on at all times. A wideband can be a very good friend to you so you know where your air/fuel ratio is at all times.

Last edited:
Any time you up the power or subject the motor to greater levels of boost you're going to decrease the life of the motor, based on the strength of the internal components.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Will it reduce the life of the motor? Yes. Will it reduce it noticably? Probably not. Any time you add stress to the motor it's life is going to be shortened. But it's not like you're going to go from a 100K life span to 40K. Unless you get greedy and tune it on the ragged edge.

What part of Cali are you in?

CPRsm

Rings from heat and bearing from load are the only thing that will really be shortened. You're not even gonna notice it if it's just a pulley change and tune. Now if you overdue it and double the factory power like I like to......ehhhhhhhh lol.

dynobobstieg

Added power is added stress faster moving parts do wear faster. Hot Rodding is just that. To answer your pulley question on the GT500 It will be okay to install a 2.6 upper pulley for added performance but you will need to add a few other parts to make this a safe upgrade, a couple rules to live by - Do not over boost your Exhaust system- Do not over power your fuel system- Keep blower temps cool- Find a good Tuner.
For any other information about up-grading your GT500 please call we can go over your goals and mods, ect...

Stiegemeier:burnout:
Stiegemeier Porting Services, LLC - Supercharger Rebuild and Repair
636-949-2275

TylerM35

Established Member
I wouldn't say it decreases the life of your motor, but increases your chances for things to break. My cobra has 2.76, tune, and exhaust and as a Daily driver for me holds up fantastic at 77k miles. Too me a lot of luck also has to do with it lol

Users who are viewing this thread