Will a t-56 break???

BadAzztt

Established Member
Stock input shaft on the cobra spec T56 will go first. Cars have ranged from stock to 550+ before having problems. Other than that I haven't heard of any repeating problems. If you get the viper spec(or upgrade the Cobra t56 to 26 spline) its usually good to go for a typical street car.

jeffsvt

Established Member
I broke the 3/4 strut (slider keys ) in mine . Alot of GM guys with the T-56 have had this same problem forever . When they broke I upgraded them with the billet struts from D & D and installed a 26 spline input shaft .

Junior2561

Established Member
well i am researching this stuff for a friend of mine who bought his t-56 through D&D...he's looking to make about 550-600rwhp so we'll see how she does.

nostdc

Established Member
i broke mine w about 24000 miles on it never even got to the track before it broke. and the insides were messed up i mean i brokes gears and syncros i just have 2.8 pulley cai exhaust 433hp 452tq but im very hard on them as with my 95 cobra 352hp and 433tq (nos) i went through 3 trannys and i was on 4th clutch. but u can break them but i havent had any trouble after rebuild except sometimes if i shift really hard into 3rd it seems like it goes in between gears because it just revs up and i have to tug to get it back out. but its still goin

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
My tranny went up at 5,000 miles. 2nd and 3rd gear syncro where non-Existing and I never really drove it hard at that point in time. The new tranny is doing just fine (knock on wood) but i'm going to be upgrading it shortly with the 26 and a DFX :rockon:.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Jdaniel said:
Mine has yet to break... knock on wood.
Are you still running all stock tranny? Your nuts man.
Input shaft/clutch/flywheel and a T-56 should be good for the HP your talking.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
jeffsvt said:
I broke the 3/4 strut (slider keys ) in mine . Alot of GM guys with the T-56 have had this same problem forever . When they broke I upgraded them with the billet struts from D & D and installed a 26 spline input shaft .
What happens when you break these "slider keys"? Mine is grinding a bit when upshifting into 4th. :bash:

jeffsvt

Established Member
Well with mine if you tried to go to 4th gear it would get stuck and you would have to fight for dear life to get it out of gear . Mine use to grind going to 4th gear then finally I guess they gave way and 4th was gone . Here is a thread on modfords I made about it with a picture of the beokw slider keys .

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30574

Also checkout some F-bod forums and do a search for slider keys and you will see a good bit of them have the same issue .

Users who are viewing this thread