Will a Mustang Steering Wheel fit Lightning?

PHIL MEMPHIS

2001 LIGHTNING
I just purchased a 2001 Lightning. The steering wheel is in pretty bad shape and the cruise control buttons are deteriorated.

The wheel looks just like a Mustang steering wheel. Will a Mustang steering wheel fit and will the cruise control hook up o.k.?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I suspect it probably would. Ford used basically the same column design in most if not all of their cars in that era. The easiest way to tell for sure would be to visit your local parts department and have them compare part numbers for the upper steering shaft, shroud, and column lock parts. If they're the same, the wheel will fit. Getting the cruise going may be a problem if the resistances in the buttons are different from the car to the truck, but a little leg work at the dealer could solve that mystery as well.

PHIL MEMPHIS

2001 LIGHTNING
Thanks,
I went to one our of local dealers and he was less than excited to help my with this. (Dobbs Ford- Mt. Moriah). I'll try another dealer.

Those are impressive times for you 2001 Lightning. Mine is # 3139.

Phil

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you do a search for FR500 steering wheel in a Lightning you'll see there are some differences and can decide if its something you want to tackle

Jroc

Established Member
No the are connected to the steering shaft totally different. One has 2 flats that locate it, while the other has several splines on the steering shaft, and wheel. Also the diameters are different between the two.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYKgo8N4i4&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - Can't mount my FR500 steeringwheel in my L[/nomedia]

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Actually, the '95-'97 Ford Ranger steering wheel appear to be an exact match..... I had orginally wanted to replace my '01 L leather steering wheel w/ a new one and take the "old" one & install it on my Ranger.
The overall diameter, airbag assembly, and the cruise control switches appear to be exactly the same.

Shokker88

Established Member
FR500 Steering wheel on a Lightning

I was able to put a FR500 steering wheel on my Lightning. The only problem I had was that the angle was off by about 45 degrees. If I remember correctly the Lightning has a spline and the Mustangs use a d notch. The steering shaft on the Lightning had d notches after the spline. It's been a year since I tried it and have since bought a Cobra so I just put the wheel on the Cobra. I took pictures when I did it. If I find them, I will post them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread