Will 2013-2014 Fusion flip key work with 2011 'stang?

RusWolf

Established Member
Hey guys/girls.

So my DD is a 2014 Fusion and standard it comes with a nice sturdy flip key which i really like. On my stang i have a flip key as well that i bought few years ago on ebay and that POS is falling apart.

I can get a blank fusion flip key for $35 on ebay, but i am not sure as far as programming it to our cars. Will it work? My other ebay flip key i was able to programm myself with seller sent instructions.

Let me know please if you guys know or heard anything about it as i would like to upgrade both master keys.

Thanks!

P.S. here is a link to the ebay fusion key.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2013-14...ion&hash=item485bb7c85b&vxp=mtr#ht_892wt_1074

mjohns930

Established Member
The listing specifically says there is no way to program it yourself. So if that really is true, I imagine getting it to work on a car it's not intended for might be tricky. I hope someone has some better news for you. That would be nice to have an OEM quality flip key.

RusWolf

Established Member
Well it's only $35 so i may still get it and try to program it.
I have a friend who's a GM at a lincoln dealership hopefully maybe he can hook me up if i need help.

Slowb00st

Established Member
looking at it, the actual key does not have the groves the stang key has. Dont know if a locksmith can machine those in.

Does your fusion key fit in the mustang cylinder?

Last edited:

ERS

Established Member
Definitly interested if this works, hope it does. Not really a fan of the VW looking key fob. Bought my car used and only came with one key. Id pick this one up real quick.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The Fusion uses a sidemill cut on the key similar to what the European manufacturers use. The Mustang uses the older 8 cut key with a groove down the key so it will not work in the cylinder.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
The Fusion uses a sidemill cut on the key similar to what the European manufacturers use. The Mustang uses the older 8 cut key with a groove down the key so it will not work in the cylinder.

I'll be finding out soon as mine is coming in the mail today.
Some of the listing for the flip keys list both the mustang and the fusion and a bunch of other ford vehicles under the same key so you would have to think they are the same design.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Very interested in this....hope it works! One of the things I miss from my g8 most is the flip key. I hate how bulky the stangs is.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be finding out soon as mine is coming in the mail today.
Some of the listing for the flip keys list both the mustang and the fusion and a bunch of other ford vehicles under the same key so you would have to think they are the same design.

The Fusion used the regular 8 cut key until 2012. The listing on eBay people have brought in for us to cut an program have about a 30% success rate. They are huge, like pack of Marlboro huge. Plus the fit and finish is bad. The blade rattles in the flip housing.

RusWolf

Established Member
I compared both keys this weekend and the mustang key seems to be different.
1) the blade itself is wider
2) Mustang has grooves in the middle that fusion does not.

So, i honestly unfortunately don't think it will work because the blades are so different.

Yes it sucks because i would love to have an OEM quality flip key that looks good and does not fall apart after a year.

Doug Marbo

Established Member
Since this thread was posted I've been searching the web to see if I could find anything that would make this work. I've seen a video on YouTube that shows that the key blade on a different style flip key was held in by roll pins and could be changed to a blank if it needed to be re-cut. Since then, I've been looking for a source for a key blade that could be used in the Fusion flip key with no results, but maybe you'll have better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqX768pnBFs

ETA: I found a replacement blade on Amazon but if you say that the Mustang key is wider, I guess it won't fit into the body of the remote. And I don't know if it would fit a Mustang ignition or not anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Blank-U...1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410385731&sr=1-11

Last edited:

kingcobra323

Established Member
I ordered and received my vw replica it's almost identical to my passat key. Quality seems really nice can't wait to use it

Posted via Topify on Android

RusWolf

Established Member

Umm my suggestion would be to NOT get that version.
Mine fell apart after about a year of use. The blade became very flimsy because one of the screws holding it came out, the paint on the buttons rubbed off. So, it's SUPER cheaply made. That's why i wanted an OEM key and considered one from a fusion.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine fell apart after about a year of use. The blade became very flimsy because one of the screws holding it came out, the paint on the buttons rubbed off. So, it's SUPER cheaply made. That's why i wanted an OEM key and considered one from a fusion.

Ya we have had more than one customer come in with those saying they don't work and want them warrantied. Apparently the older ads said they were an official Ford part. Also have had people to bring them in for us to program and they would not program because they did not have the electronics inside. I actually had the blade on one break when I was tracing their key.

ERS

Established Member

Ya we have had more than one customer come in with those saying they don't work and want them warrantied. Apparently the older ads said they were an official Ford part. Also have had people to bring them in for us to program and they would not program because they did not have the electronics inside. I actually had the blade on one break when I was tracing their key.

Disappointing, but glad I head it from you guys before I wasted $45 bucks on one! Thanks for looking out!

Is the Fusion key fob idea dead? Maybe the key blank can be swapped out for one that would work on our mustangs, may look into trying this.

Users who are viewing this thread