Will 2.9 whipple with 10 rib upfit for cobra jet fit GT500?

olaosunt

Established Member
I ran a 2.9 whipple I had upfit for the cobra jet 10 rib conversion on my 5.0
I ran it with a 20 % damper and ended up breaking the crank off my alluminator so I am scared to reusue this set up with my newly built boss long block.I tried to sell the whole set up to the 5.0 crowd but have had no bites.It will no longer work with the 6 rib pulleys of the 2.3 whipple/Roush unless I send it back to whiple for a drive change and it may be too pricey as I am trying to recoup some of the $6500 I had invested in it(including the ATI damper,thump tensioner,new water pump pulley,evo brackets).
I wanted to know if it would bolt unto a GT500?.Will it need an adaptor plate?
I have a GT500 that has a 2.3 VMP TVS on so I geuss I could try and see if it fits first....lol
Maybe I can upgrade that and sell the TVS....lol
I was able to buy back the Roush TVS that I sold to a forum member and I have ordered the VMP 8 rib conversion.
The 2.9 of course made more power( about 800 rwhp and 670 torque) on my old 9.5 compression engine with more boost(18 peak psi) using the 3.25 pulley and 20 % damper compared to the TVS and 69 mm pulley(15 psi) which made about 730 rwhp and 631 torque but the TVS feIt torquier per my butt dyno ....lol
Any info would be appreciated

rktsci25

Established Member
Call whipple, they would be able to tell you. The adapter plate between the 5.0 one you have might be different than the GT500 and the bypass valve might be in a different spot. Otherwise it's the same unit. ( I called them about trying to use the coyote lower and termi elbow for my swap. They will be able to tell you right off if you would need a different adapter plate or if the bypass is in a different spot, otherwise I don't see it wouldn't work.... unless the snout is different length for the gt500...

I ran a 2.9 whipple I had upfit for the cobra jet 10 rib conversion on my 5.0
I ran it with a 20 % damper and ended up breaking the crank off my alluminator so I am scared to reusue this set up with my newly built boss long block.I tried to sell the whole set up to the 5.0 crowd but have had no bites.It will no longer work with the 6 rib pulleys of the 2.3 whipple/Roush unless I send it back to whiple for a drive change and it may be too pricey as I am trying to recoup some of the $6500 I had invested in it(including the ATI damper,thump tensioner,new water pump pulley,evo brackets).
I wanted to know if it would bolt unto a GT500?.Will it need an adaptor plate?
I have a GT500 that has a 2.3 VMP TVS on so I geuss I could try and see if it fits first....lol
Maybe I can upgrade that and sell the TVS....lol
I was able to buy back the Roush TVS that I sold to a forum member and I have ordered the VMP 8 rib conversion.
The 2.9 of course made more power( about 800 rwhp and 670 torque) on my old 9.5 compression engine with more boost(18 peak psi) using the 3.25 pulley and 20 % damper compared to the TVS and 69 mm pulley(15 psi) which made about 730 rwhp and 631 torque but the TVS feIt torquier per my butt dyno ....lol
Any info would be appreciated

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The blower will not be a direct fit on the GT500. The base plate is different and the GT500 uses a direct drive (pulley mounts directly to the blower) where the Coyote 2.9 with Cobra Jet 10 rib is an extended drive (pulley mounts on a snout). You could probably send it in for a conversion as most of the other components are the same, but it's probably going to be costly to do that. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

olaosunt

Established Member
I also spoke to Chris Cruz and he has not heard of any one else having problems with the10 rib like I did.May be it was that block.
I guess I will try it again and keep my fingers crossed.

Turboba6

Established Member
Resurecting an Old Thread, as I Also have an Issue with the 10-Rib, Thankfully the Motor and the ATI Damper is Good, in MY Case, the 10 Rib is Eating Alternators. And I can Not figure out Why. I've checked All the Obvious, Belt Alignment, bought Several new belts over the years etc.. Whats happening is that after Several 1000miles, and/or 10 or so Passes, the Alternator begins making a Horrible Noise, almost like a Cement Mixer(best Description). So I Replace the Alternator and its quiet for a while, then begins it's progressively Louder noise....Any Ideas out there???

Users who are viewing this thread