will 17x10.5 Replicas Fit '03 Cobra?

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
I've been searching and reading all over tha place and haven't found anywhere that says that a 17 x 10.5 rim won't fit an '03 Cobra. But on Mustangtuning.com on every 17 x 10.5 replica rim it says it won't fit '99 + cobras. What's the deal with this. Is it due to rubbing, the IRS bolt, the Spacer, etc?

I'm looking to do 315-35/17 in the rear on 17x10.5 rims and a 275-40/17 on 17x9 in front.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
termin8r said:
I've been searching and reading all over tha place and haven't found anywhere that says that a 17 x 10.5 rim won't fit an '03 Cobra. But on Mustangtuning.com on every 17 x 10.5 replica rim it says it won't fit '99 + cobras. What's the deal with this. Is it due to rubbing, the IRS bolt, the Spacer, etc?

I'm looking to do 315-35/17 in the rear on 17x10.5 rims and a 275-40/17 on 17x9 in front.

It depends on what tire you run on a 10.5" rim on whether it will fit or not. I ran a 315/35 Nitto DR on mine for awhile with the stock bolt, etc and they fit just fine. If you put a different manufacturer's 315 out back then you'll at least need the bolts in the rear from MM.

I have a set of 335 Hoosier DR's mounted on my 10.5" rims right now... and to get them on I needed the IRS bolt and a 1/2" spacer. You can get away with a 3/8" spacer but that's as slim as you'd want to go. I have the Level 5 halfshafts in mine with the 3" wheel studs so I don't have to worry about "extended reach" lug nuts... you'll need either those or longer studs.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
I am going to run Nittos 555R on the Rear, and some cheaper Summer tires in front, not quite sure yet, but something that is a decent performance tire yet won't break the bank.

What's throwing me off is that in the description on the site, it says they won't fit '99+ cobras, regardless of what tire is being used.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Here's a post from another thread:

Here's the short story on 10.5" wheels on '99-'04 Cobras:

Virtually all 10.5" replica wheels floating around out there have the same 27mm offset and 6.9" backspacing.

These replica 10.5" wheels (when fitted with most 315 tires) will NOT just bolt-on to late-model Cobras. These wheels don't have the correct backspacing for Mustangs with an independent rear suspension. There are 2 clearance problems you'll run into:

1. The inner sidewall of the tire will rub the IRS frame when the car is sitting at normal ride height.

2. When the rear suspension is unloaded (ie the car is up in the air and the wheel is hanging free), the inner sidewall will rub a bolt head that sticks out into the rear fenderwell.

Both of these clearance issues can be solved by running a small wheel spacer (1/8"-3/8" depending on tire width) and also by grinding/machining down the heads of the bolts mentioned in #2 above. Lots of Cobras are running 10.5" replica wheels with 315s to fill up the rear fenderwells and to get that "wide" look out back. Most are using a combination of wheel spacers and modifying those bolt heads to make it work.

Something else to be aware of... You can pick up additional tire sidewall clearance (possibly enough clearance so that spacers won't be required) by doing one/both of the following:

1) Lower your car with aftermarket springs
2) Move up to 18" replica wheels instead of 17s

Here's another thread to check out...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1866023&postcount=8

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
Thanks a lot, that explains it all to me. I was planning on lowering the car and putting on Nitto 555r's anyways, so now i know what needs to be done.

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
I have a solid axle, so mine fit differently than an IRS

no spacers, just had to take a torch to the exhaust pipes, and hit it with a balpeen hammer to make a dimple in the pipes so the tires wouldnt rub

tires are 315/35/17 Goodyear GSD3s on 17x10.5 03 Chromies

tucked1.jpg

tucked2.jpg

tucked3.jpg

tucked4.jpg

tucked5.jpg

tucked6.jpg

tucked7.jpg

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
termin8r said:
Thanks a lot, that explains it all to me. I was planning on lowering the car and putting on Nitto 555r's anyways, so now i know what needs to be done.

If you do lowering springs and run a 315 Nitto DR then they will fit without having to modify anything. With the suspension unloaded the tires will touch the rear IRS bolt... but when the car is on the ground everything will clear fine. The 315 Nitto's are probably the smallest 315's out there that you can buy compared to others in the same size.

Shannon

userob2002

Banned
SSSNAKE03 said:
I have a solid axle, so mine fit differently than an IRS

no spacers, just had to take a torch to the exhaust pipes, and hit it with a balpeen hammer to make a dimple in the pipes so the tires wouldnt rub

tires are 315/35/17 Goodyear GSD3s on 17x10.5 03 Chromies

tucked1.jpg

tucked2.jpg

tucked3.jpg

tucked4.jpg

tucked5.jpg

tucked6.jpg

tucked7.jpg

Can you say 4 X 4

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
you probably had IRS springs....I have a solid axle

I cant make up my mind between the Eibach Pro or the H&R Race springs....I keep changing my mind every day lol

Users who are viewing this thread