Will 10 in or 10.5 in wheels fit on the front?

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Hey guys. I was wondering if there will be a fitment issue with a 10 inch or 10.5 inch wheel on the front and rear of a 98 cobra? I know I may have to run rack limiters. I am looking at American Racing Torq Thrust 17s with approximately 6.8 inch of back spacing. I did some searching but was not able to find much info. FYI these wheels will be for autocross. Thanks for the help.

cobraracer46

Banned
A 10.5 wide tire will fit on the front of a mustang once a SLA front end is installed.

Here is a Griggs SLA front suspension with 315/35/17 tires on a 1988 mustang.
m5lp_0505_08_+griggs_road_racing_mustang+sla_frontend.jpg

KCRN12

Established Member
They might "fit" but they'll definitely rub plastic things. Unless you cut to fit. My 9 inchers rub if the wheel is turned to the lock...

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Thanks cobraracer but I am not allowed to go to a SLA suspension. The rules of the class I run in will not allow it. I figure if I run a spacer (size not yet determined) and add 1/4 rack limiters that may help.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Looks like it will work Offset for 10.5" front wheels on 98 Cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum. The guys is running a 97 GT with AFS 10.5's up front. 7 inch back spacing, 27 mm offset (as per AFS's site) and 1/2 inch spacer. I will let you know how it works out when I order/get the wheels on.

BrownBombeR

Just a question, what would be the necessary backspacing or offset of the wheel, in order to fit a 10.5" tire on an SLA suspension and still maintain coverage by the fender with out using wheel spacers?

Would rolled fenders also be necessary?

What are the pros and cons to rolled fenders?

I have no idea what the rotor offset will be yet.

Users who are viewing this thread