wifey/baby need a SUV ! - ideas ??

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
We bought a 2016 Ford Edge because I am taller, and had plenty of room up front with two car seats in the back. I don’t like being crammed in a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wont ride in my wifes subaru because my knees touch the dash. We take my f-150 everywhere. Plenty of room. My parents have a bmw x3 and the convertible car seat barley fits when my 6’ 3” dad is driving. Vehicle to vehicle it varies but is worth checking in my eyes

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Tanner, check out a certified RX 350 in your price range. Bigger than a RAV, decent power, great CPO warranty.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My wife has a 13' Explorer Sport, I can't imagine anything smaller to haul a kid around in as far as passenger side legroom with a car seat behind it. I have to always drive because my knees are in the dash.

My vote goes to a larger used SUV.

All that said, my wife's next vehicle will be a CC F150.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I've owned a bunch of Subarus. My daughter is currently driving an 16 Impreza Sport. They have all been reliable and the all wheel drive makes them tanks in the snow.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would really suggest you rethink your new car requirement. I've got a 2.5 year old and I would not want to go smaller than an explorer. Plenty of space behind the rear seats for everything you will need to take with you, and has plenty of space between the rear seats and front that people can actually sit in the front.

People aren't joking when they say how big car seats are. You need enough room for the car seat and a gap between the car seat and front seat. It is unsafe for the car seat to be resting against the front seat.

And all the stuff you need for any sort of trip. Stroller, portable crib, years supply of diapers and clothes, toys, etc.

You can get a lightly used large suv in your price range.

nxhappy

Established Member
well, I do have my crew F150 if need be, with a bed cover. But she will still need something regardless.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Go lightly used to work that budget some more for a bigger SUV.
2015 Explorers can still be included in the Certified preowned if you want a warranty for her vehicle.

We have a Dodge Durango and a Raptor Supercab.
The Raptor has 6"-8" of front leg room lol as I didn't want to put him in the middle seat.
The Durango we had to scoot the front seat by 2-3" further than the way we had it before the baby. These rear car seats are huge.

mariusvt

Established Member
My wife has a 15 Escape and some of the bigger convertables don't fit if you want to still be able to have a front passenger. She already wants s bigger car. My wife really wanted the pria 70 but it was a no go, the graco 4ever we test fit, doesn't really take up any more space than the infant carrier.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
well, I do have my crew F150 if need be, with a bed cover. But she will still need something regardless.

Super crew or crew cab f150? Super cab or smaller won't cut it.

You are still going to be unable to fit a passenger in the front seat of the small SUV until your little one is able to be forward facing. Depending on your state laws that could be a minimum of up to 2-3 years rear facing.

Recommendation is for them to be rear facing for as long as possible. Even up to 5 years old if possible. Their necks can't support their heads in an accident which can lead to internal decapitation and death in some instances.

And yes, my daughter is 2.5 and still rear facing.

limepro

Established Member
Don't ignore minivans just because of stigma. The sliding doors are a god send, the stow and go seating is amazing, the ease of egress from the front seat is a life saver. You get more mid seat leg room, better mpg when you compare like sized vehicles and tons of things designed towards families.

I have a Chrysler T&C that I use for work as well as family duty on longer trips. I can put all of the seats down completely flat and have a ton of room when I have to pick up large items for work. I can leave 1 rear seat up and put the other down for more luggage room, I then put one of the middle seats down and place a cooler there for trip snacks and drinks. If I am taking more than just the 4 of us, I still have storage space where the middle seats would be folded into. I love my minivan and so do my kids.

nxhappy

Established Member
well, we ended up buying a 2017.5 Nissan Rogue. We narrowed it down after driving the CR-V and Subaru Forester. The RAV4 was nice but way too small. The Rogue has a decent amount of room and has all the safety features. For the price it was an easy decision.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Don't ignore minivans just because of stigma. The sliding doors are a god send, the stow and go seating is amazing, the ease of egress from the front seat is a life saver. You get more mid seat leg room, better mpg when you compare like sized vehicles and tons of things designed towards families.

I have a Chrysler T&C that I use for work as well as family duty on longer trips. I can put all of the seats down completely flat and have a ton of room when I have to pick up large items for work. I can leave 1 rear seat up and put the other down for more luggage room, I then put one of the middle seats down and place a cooler there for trip snacks and drinks. If I am taking more than just the 4 of us, I still have storage space where the middle seats would be folded into. I love my minivan and so do my kids.
Ditto, went from T and C to Pacifica. It is my fishing and kayak hauler, soccer and dance mobile and of course the long trip machine. The video game and video system keeps the kids quiet until pee stops.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Nissan Rouge can be had in that price range. Very reliable and great on gas. That's what I got when the ole lady and the baby needed a new ride.

Until that piece of shit CVT dies on you. That stupid transmission needs to be put to pasture by Nissan once and for all. What a flat pile of garbage.

Also, 175hp of pure excitement out of that thing, huh?

ClayDee

Established Member
Until that piece of shit CVT dies on you. That stupid transmission needs to be put to pasture by Nissan once and for all. What a flat pile of garbage.

Yea, it's no rocket ship! But when your ballin on a budget man, gotta do what ya gotta do. I have no complaints and we got close to 30k on it now.....just my experience.

ClayDee

Established Member
well, we ended up buying a 2017.5 Nissan Rogue. We narrowed it down after driving the CR-V and Subaru Forester. The RAV4 was nice but way too small. The Rogue has a decent amount of room and has all the safety features. For the price it was an easy decision.

Same reason we got into a Rogue. Congrats on the purchase!

nxhappy

Established Member

wow, thanks for the insight, dickhead =)

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, it's no rocket ship! But when your ballin on a budget man, gotta do what ya gotta do. I have no complaints and we got close to 30k on it now.....just my experience.

Soon. Just wait. Soon. It will come for you. It will hurt you(your wallet).

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Soon. Just wait. Soon. It will come for you. It will hurt you(your wallet).

I was picturing Liam Neeson from Taken saying that.

That's a good pick and should serve you well. The good news is you have a warranty, so any issues you have you'll be covered for a long while. Post up pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread