Wierd Clutch Issue...

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Have a New Late build '14 Vert. with about 250 miles on it. I have a steep Drive-way that I always back the car up on an angle as not to scrape, and then back into the garage. Found this model has "hill holder", as I started on a hill in traffic at a light, no problem.. Yesterday backed up the drive-way, and stopped to empty the trunk and put the top up. Put it in reverse, let the clutch out and it drifted forward down the drive-way. WTF. Made sure I was in reverse, I was. Revved hard let the clutch out and it backed up on the 4th try. Clutch had a strong burning smell, pretty much every time I come home, and sometimes in traffic. I previously had an 03 Term. Vert. with a stock and then up-graded clutch, no problem. My 09 Gt 500 Vert., ditto, no issues.
Cliff notes.. Hill holder in reverse on a grade, do I have a clutch issue and or a computer issue, or??? Thanx...

steeltoe

Established Member
Hill hold only last for about 5 secs and while I never tried mine in reverse I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in reverse.

Simon_C

Established Member
Did you hold it on the foot brake first? Hill start won't work unless the foot brake is engaged. If you just released the hand brake the car will roll.

Though I have never tried in reverse.

Ky GT500

Established Member
250 miles,,,clutch not broke in, make note with dealer about this issue but get some more miles on the clutch before you start pushing for a new clutch. Not sure about hill assist in reverse, never tried it myself.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Have a New Late build '14 Vert. with about 250 miles on it. I have a steep Drive-way that I always back the car up on an angle as not to scrape, and then back into the garage. Found this model has "hill holder", as I started on a hill in traffic at a light, no problem.. Yesterday backed up the drive-way, and stopped to empty the trunk and put the top up. Put it in reverse, let the clutch out and it drifted forward down the drive-way. WTF. Made sure I was in reverse, I was. Revved hard let the clutch out and it backed up on the 4th try. Clutch had a strong burning smell, pretty much every time I come home, and sometimes in traffic. I previously had an 03 Term. Vert. with a stock and then up-graded clutch, no problem. My 09 Gt 500 Vert., ditto, no issues.
Cliff notes.. Hill holder in reverse on a grade, do I have a clutch issue and or a computer issue, or??? Thanx...
4th try and a clutch smell well yes that is what happens :pop:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Clutch smell also happens in traffic and the clutch gets jerky. Someone try their's in reverse on a grade. I never used the parking brake on a hill going forward or in reverse backing up the driveway. I have been breaking it in exactly as the book says to do it. Highest rpm's have been to get it up the driveway and into the garage.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This feature makes it easier to pull away when the vehicle is on a slope without the need to use the parking brake. When this feature is active, the vehicle will remain stationary on the slope for two to three seconds after you release the brake pedal. This allows you time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. The brakes are released automatically once the engine has developed sufficient drive to prevent the vehicle from rolling down the slope. This is an advantage when pulling away on a slope, (for example from a car park ramp, traffic lights or when reversing uphill into a parking space). This feature is activated automatically on any slope that can result in significant vehicle rollback. This feature will not operate if the parking brake is activated.

Using Hill Start Assist
Note: If the engine is revved excessively, hill start assist will be deactivated.
1. Press the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.
2. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the hill start assist feature will be activated automatically.
3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.
4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will be released automatically.

Has anyone had any luck disabling the Hill Assist feature?

I tried the following procedure from the owners manual without success.

Disabling and Enabling the Hill Start Assist Feature
Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.
The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.
1. Apply the parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear.
4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
When the procedure has been completed successfully, the ABS icon in the instrument cluster will flash:
• three times indicating that the feature has been disabled.
• twice indicating it has been enabled.
Once the feature is programmed as desired, it will remain in that mode until the above procedure is repeated.

Note: When the AdvanceTrac® system is disabled (see the Traction Control chapter in your owner’s manual for information on how to do this), the hill start assist feature is also disabled for the duration that the AdvanceTrac® system is in that mode. Re-enabling AdvanceTrac® will also re-enable hill start assist.

Note: If you have used the above procedure to disable the hill start assist feature, then enabling or disabling AdvanceTrac® will not effect the hill start assist system.

railroad

Established Member
I also, without success, tried to disable my hill assist. I did not like turning the steering wheel with the engine off. Feels like you are going to break something.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback, and Thanx to Snoop for posting the info. The first 3 times Sunday I tried to back into the garage I revved the car, let the clutch all the way out and the car drifted forward down the drive-way. I WAS in reverse, kind of scary. Revved it high and reverse worked, and the clutch was burning. There basically is very little clutch, it's all the way at the top... Guess I'm going to let the Dealer take a look at it... That may also be a scary experience..... Thanx

mullens

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback, and Thanx to Snoop for posting the info. The first 3 times Sunday I tried to back into the garage I revved the car, let the clutch all the way out and the car drifted forward down the drive-way. I WAS in reverse, kind of scary. Revved it high and reverse worked, and the clutch was burning. There basically is very little clutch, it's all the way at the top... Guess I'm going to let the Dealer take a look at it... That may also be a scary experience..... Thanx

That symptom has nothing to do with hill assist. Once the clutch is depressed hill assist lets go.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Actually no at least on my car when I depress the clutch it holds for several seconds. Think I remember reading that in the manual too

mullens

Established Member
Actually no at least on my car when I depress the clutch it holds for several seconds. Think I remember reading that in the manual too

Correct....my mistake...assist will hold 5 seconds, but I still think the stated issue is not related to it. The burning smell concerns me.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Has anyone had any luck disabling the Hill Assist feature?

I tried the following procedure from the owners manual without success.

Disabling and Enabling the Hill Start Assist Feature
Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.
The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.
1. Apply the parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear.
4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
When the procedure has been completed successfully, the ABS icon in the instrument cluster will flash:
• three times indicating that the feature has been disabled.
• twice indicating it has been enabled.
Once the feature is programmed as desired, it will remain in that mode until the above procedure is repeated.

Note: When the AdvanceTrac® system is disabled (see the Traction Control chapter in your owner’s manual for information on how to do this), the hill start assist feature is also disabled for the duration that the AdvanceTrac® system is in that mode. Re-enabling AdvanceTrac® will also re-enable hill start assist.

Note: If you have used the above procedure to disable the hill start assist feature, then enabling or disabling AdvanceTrac® will not effect the hill start assist system.

You have to be scratching your left butt cheek with your right hand during this process or it won't work. That is at the bottom of the page in fine print in the manual.:read:

Tom

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Concerns the h*ll out of me too. Burning smell started the day I brought it home. Talked to the dealer today. They haven't heard of any issues like mine from any other cars

mullens

Established Member
Mine has had that trait since day one, just not to the extent that you have. Every time I get on her hard, I get a slight clutch odor. Nothing crazy but it's there. I spoke to my service guy about it, and they called Ford. The response was "some clutch odor is normal due to it being a twin disc heavy duty clutch ". Not sure I agree with that but that's what they said.

railroad

Established Member
Concerns the h*ll out of me too. Burning smell started the day I brought it home. Talked to the dealer today. They haven't heard of any issues like mine from any other cars

Just a possibility, when you were letting the clutch out, you might have been getting to the spot where the over-ride spring interferes. The pedal will offer little to no resistance, but it is not at the top of the travel. Since the dealer is involved now and the clutch is done, no need to consider the spring, but it does interfere. Good luck with the dealer. Maybe you can print out some of the threads from here.

Users who are viewing this thread