Widest tire you can fit on a 05-07 Mustang GTs?

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
MattP 343 said:
When pushing it you can get a 285 on a 8.5" rim, and about 275 on a 8" wide rim. But the 'suggested' tires are 255 for 8.5" wide rims and 245 for 8" wide rims.

I read in a book about building the S-197 Mustangs that the handling and suspension was completely redesigned from previous years and that as a result of this new design any change to the wheel or tire size from delivered stock will trigger a requirement to have the suspension retuned for the new tire size or else abnormal wearing will occur and driveability will be affected.
It stated that you cannot do one without doing the other.

This statement seems to perhaps hold weight becasue I had a friend that did the 285 and his front end now bumps and knocks whenever he turns the steering wheel ever so slightly.

Almo

Established Member
I should have asked the question I did a bit different.

What I was trying to figure out was... with an aftermarket wheel... maybe an 18X11 wheel... what would be biggest tire you could fit on the back of an 05-07 Mustang GT without it rubbing outer or inner fender?

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Sonic Blue GT said:
I read in a book about building the S-197 Mustangs that the handling and suspension was completely redesigned from previous years and that as a result of this new design any change to the wheel or tire size from delivered stock will trigger a requirement to have the suspension retuned for the new tire size or else abnormal wearing will occur and driveability will be affected.
It stated that you cannot do one without doing the other.

This statement seems to perhaps hold weight becasue I had a friend that did the 285 and his front end now bumps and knocks whenever he turns the steering wheel ever so slightly.

Why would you ever try to put a 285 tire on the front of a mustang. The ford GT has smaller tires than that on the front.

FWIW 315 on back and 255 on the front. I think you can do a 315 on a 10" wheel, but I'm not sure. And you can definately do a stock wheel with a 255 on the front.

When I get new wheels for the back of my car it will be an 18x10 deep dish bullit with a 295 tire on it.

Also, unlike the earlier mustangs, the S197's come with rolled fenders from the factory which allows for larger tires.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
some SCCA guys are fitting 315's x 4 on 10.5 rims

I have run 315's R 275 F on mine, but it had a tendancy to understeer. so I wnet back to 275 x 4

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
swoosh_stang said:
Why would you ever try to put a 285 tire on the front of a mustang. The ford GT has smaller tires than that on the front.

FWIW 315 on back and 255 on the front. I think you can do a 315 on a 10" wheel, but I'm not sure. And you can definately do a stock wheel with a 255 on the front.

When I get new wheels for the back of my car it will be an 18x10 deep dish bullit with a 295 tire on it.

Also, unlike the earlier mustangs, the S197's come with rolled fenders from the factory which allows for larger tires.

Ask my friend that question...he is the one that did it..not me.

jumpinjoe

Established Member
Im running 18x10 wheels out back with 295/35/18's with no probs what so ever. Next time i need tires ill be going with Nitto 305/35/18's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread