Widest tire options on 19x10?

Hub2011

Established Member
Hi Discount Tire,

Glad to find you guys posting here. There's a store just down the road in Reno so you'd be a convenient source for new tires.

I've got a 2011 Mustang GT and I'm running the 2011 FRPP GT500 Performance Pack Wheels in 19x9, 19x10.

Current tires are the BFG KDW2 in 275/35 and 295/35.

I like the looks and performance of these tires, but dislike the increased cabin noise. I believe no other manufacturer makes a 295/35/19 tire, correct? I'd like to stay as wide as possible back there, as that was the main reason for changing wheels from stock. Can I go 305/30 on my 10" wheels?

I do not track my car in any fashion at this time. It is a street car only. A high (relatively) treadwear rating to get +/-20,000mi and near-equivalent grip/performance to the BFG would be an ideal tire. Do I have any hope?

I'm looking for a way to NOT go with 255/285 tires like most folks settle for on my wheel set... I love the look of the wider tires.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated! If you can ping the tire manufacturers to take note of the increasing variety of 19x10 wheels out there, and the resulting need for more 295/35/19 tires, that'd be great,too. ;-)

Semper Fidelis!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the PM.

Unfortunately there aren't any other options out there for you that are recommended.

The KDW NT in the 295/35-19 size is the widest size for your application that is approved for 10" wide wheels. This is also the only tire model that I am aware of that is produced in the 295/35-19 size.

You could run the 305/30-19 size but the minimum recommended rim width is 10.5". Although the difference is only 1/2" (.25" on each side) you may run into irregular wear as the tire is being pinched slightly on the wheel. This also causes the carcass to flex in areas it's not designed to do so which generates excessive heat.

Hub2011

Established Member
Matt,

Thanks kindly for the info.

As I've done more research, I've heard that some brands of tires "run wide" in terms of tread width. Do you know which of those tires that come in 255/285 combos tend to run wider than others? Have any numbers besides the basic numbers from the common charts that show that 285mm/25.4=11.2"?

Thanks!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Matt,

Thanks kindly for the info.

As I've done more research, I've heard that some brands of tires "run wide" in terms of tread width. Do you know which of those tires that come in 255/285 combos tend to run wider than others? Have any numbers besides the basic numbers from the common charts that show that 285mm/25.4=11.2"?

Thanks!

BFG, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama, and Continental typically run larger in size when compared to other brands.

If you are going to stick with the OEM sizes the Continental DW would be a good option to consider.

Hub2011

Established Member
BFG, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama, and Continental typically run larger in size when compared to other brands.

If you are going to stick with the OEM sizes the Continental DW would be a good option to consider.

Matt,

Thanks. Continental DW is exactly the one I was hoping to see on your list. Can you PM me a quote for 255/285/19 set sent to the Reno/Sparks store on Big Fish Dr? I'm still a ways out from purchasing yet, so no other action required... but I want to start saving accordingly.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Matt,

Thanks. Continental DW is exactly the one I was hoping to see on your list. Can you PM me a quote for 255/285/19 set sent to the Reno/Sparks store on Big Fish Dr? I'm still a ways out from purchasing yet, so no other action required... but I want to start saving accordingly.

We do not ship to our local stores however your store in Reno/Sparks would be happy to assist you with this purchase. Just like us via mail order our local stores also guarantee the lowest out the door price. Give them a call directly to see what they can do for you :rockon:

Hub2011

Established Member
Matt,

Thanks again for the information. I haven't yet made my purchase.

I hear the Pilot Super Sports are coming out on May 1st with a 295/35/19 size. Is that right? Will these pop up on the website on the 1st? Any idea on pricing yet?

I might consider going for broke and getting these PSSs in 275/295 over Conti DW or BFG Sport Comp-2 in OEM sizes.

How would you compare the performance of these three against each other? Are PSSs really worth the extra money? How about factoring in tread life?

I will have to figure out some way to subjectively measure the difference in width and what it means for how much I'm willing to pay... unless there's some info that shows the difference in fuel economy, as well as the difference in stopping power, between tires of 20mm/10mm differences in width, respectively?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Pilot Super Sport will be released in the 295/35-19 size but as of right now they have not gone into production and there is currently no production date scheduled. Pricing will not be set until this model has officially been released from Michelin.

The Comp2 utilizes a lot of the same technology as the Pilot Super Sport and would be another great option to consider if you end up running the 255/40~285/35-19 sizes which is best for your wheel set-up. The Super Sport will have a little better ride quality and dry grip but dollar for dollar this Comp2 is tough to beat. BFG tires also run wider in size when compared to some other brands so they will fill up the wheel well nicely and have the wide look.

Check out this review we did on the Comp2 if you haven't already.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...35/835465-bfg-g-force-sport-comp2-review.html

Last edited:

Hub2011

Established Member
Matt, interesting info in your first sentence. Good to know!

I really appreciate when you guys write reviews on new tires. I would enjoy them even more if they're taken the next step and compared to other brands in the same class... but I realize you probably can't do that to your other brands.

Any thoughts on what I discussed in my last mini-paragraph in my previous message? What do I give up, and what do I gain, by going down to OEM sizes, in terms of braking ability and fuel economy? Are there any studies on that? I realize with OEM sizes, I get optimal sidewall shape, but that's not a huge concern on a street car, I'd think, compared to a slight flex outward?

Also, you mention BFG runs wide... well, then I must be spoiled right now by my KDW2s in 275/295 stagger :) Do you guys have any real-world contact patch measurements for these tires? (KDW2 275/295 vs PSS 275/295 vs Comp2 255/285)

Detailed questions, I know... and maybe there are no answers for them. If so, that's cool... but figured I'd ask. :)

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for your continued patience Hub.

I haven't seen any tests or specifications stating fuel economy, stopping power, or contact between the two sizes and models. The carcass and sidewall design on the Comp2 and Super Sport are designed for maximum foot print.

Running a tire size on an approved rim maximizes the tires abilities. Running a wider tire on a narrower rim that's not approved pinches the sidewalls up which makes the tire flex in areas it wasn't designed to do so. This generates excessive heat and wear on the tread as well as the carcass and is not recommended.

Hub2011

Established Member
Thanks again, Matt.

I called my local Discount Tire to ask if they heard anything today about the PSS in 295/35/19 and they called their Michelin Rep who said there is NO tire planned for production in that size and didn't know anything about it.

Any updates on your end? Today was supposedly the release date for that size... whether simply an announcement or what, I'm not sure... but 1 May was what I've been hearing.

Thanks!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I spoke with Michelin again and was told the same thing as I was told last week. The PSS will eventually be produced in the 295/35-19 size but right now there is no projected production date for it.

Users who are viewing this thread