Widespread Cobra Problems?

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
:burn:

I called Matt at SVT less than 5 minutes ago....

Here is hopefully the END OF horrible HEART STOPPING RUMORS...

1. Chrome Wheels ARE Delayed until Fall

2. Verts ARE NOT DELAYED... THEY ARE COMING Job 1

3. JOB 1 date = early May... ( I asked if it was May 6 and he said its "early may"...

He was very nice and calmed me down...

VERTS ARE NOT DELAYED!!!!!!!

YOUR DEALER IS TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF or YOUR TRYING TO CAUSE PROBLEMS>>>>>>

:read:

:burnout:

FL Cobra03

Established Member
It's great to hear that there is no delay. Maybe, I need to take a trip down to the dealer and have a face to face with the sales manager. The only other thing I can think is that the Sales Manager is trying to start a bidding war on the two convertibles that are comming in. He said he had 7 deposits on convertibles. Thanks again for the info.

Zach

Established Member
Lot's of good information here guys, many thanks. I have a feeling this dealer is jerking me around. First he tells me that they will not have pricing info unit May. Next, was a curious statement that ordering a Zinc Yellow would hurt his allotment of Cobras and Friday he proclaimed news that Cobra production has been put on hold. I pasted the post from VintagePorscheG to an e-mail and sent it to the dealer yesterday. I'm looking forward to his reply, anyone know of a SVT certified dealer in North Texas who is NOT selling coupes above MSRP? I may need a backup plan here.

:??:

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT
FWIW, I've had NO major problems with my '01. I love this thing, everytime I get behind the wheel, I love the car more & more...

my driver's window squeaks just slightly when it's going up......talked to another guy who bought his a week before who had the same thing....then it wouldn't go up....

that's the only issue i've had.....except for the tranny is a POS....LOL

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Re: Tommylightning.....

Originally posted by Zach
No affiliation with blueovalnews.com. I'm a middle aged, ex street racer/rodder who owns a small business in North Texas and has always remained a car enthusiast. I just have concerns over spending $35,000 for an '03 Cobra if Ford has not worked out the problems with earlier models. That's why I deferred to you guys, the experts.

They aren't even the same damn engine. Don't believe what you hear on a site like BON they are looking for material, some is fabrication. The 2003 Cobra is better than any production Mustang you have EVER driven. Trust me I just got back from Phoenix where they had the SVT dealer meeting. Don't wait around too long because once the word gets out on these cars, they will start disappearing. (JMO)

'99 All aluminum engine 320 HP N/A 4.6 DOHC V-8
'03 Cast Iron block supercharged 390? HP 4.6 DOHC V-8

BTW I have 2 coupes left for wave 1 I have 3 converts sold into wave 2.
Chrome wheels won't be available until Sep. Price for chrome will be over $600

Last edited:

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra 829
the run of 3000 will only take 5 days to make all of the cars 800 a day is how many they can make it should take 4 days

I think we have found our build quality problem right here. That is a lot of cars in 5 days. We can't expect them to all be perfect at that pace right? Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

Last edited:

cobra 829

Established Member
there are two shifts that work 10 hr days i guess we could slow down the line and build 400 a day and charge 50,000.00 if that would make you happy the only thing the cobra go to stv were they get the once over and are made sure everthing is right 800 cars a day is not a lot when they sell 17,000,000 cars a year its only 40 cars an hour.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
can you get a-plan on them or is that why you have two left
If I have any left in Sep. 2003, we can talk A-Plan.:D

Some dealers I talked to in Phoenix won't even take any orders on the Cobra's.:eek: :??:

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
That's rediculous...

Dealers that won't sell cars in this economy...

Name them, If I worked for Ford (even in a plant) I would be SO pissed at dealers like that.

That's like truly stupid...

They better hope upper mgt at Ford doesn't find out...

:cuss:

FL Cobra03

Established Member
I know one thing. The dealer that treats me fairly will probably also get a sale on an Expedition when my wife's lease on her 99' Exp. comes due in October

Zach

Established Member
Tommylightning.....

I had the dealer fax over the VOC just now. He insists that early Cobra production is on hold. The car in question has been assigned an order number, it does not show chrome wheels on the order sheet, what do you think is going on?

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Re: Tommylightning.....

I had the dealer fax over the VOC just now. He insists that early Cobra production is on hold. The car in question has been assigned an order number, it does not show chrome wheels on the order sheet, what do you think is going on?
That the chrome wheels won't be available until the 2nd wave of production? At least that is what I heard at the dealer meeting last week. What does chrome wheels have to do with the integrity of the 2003 compared to the 1999?

As far as pricing goes...SVT doesn't care what dealers sell them for...they already have them sold to the dealers. Remember, A-Plan isn't something a dealer is required to do on every vehicle they have on the lot. I remember when peeps were complaining that dealers would A-Plan R's. I am just saying not every dealership is going to sell them on the Ford selling plans...don't flame them if they don't, because not every person in this country works for Ford or it's vendors. It is called a free market. Dealers are allowed to make whatever they can, it's thier own business just lile you making money is your business. I am just getting tired of the whole A/X/Z/D thing...IT"S UP TO THE DEALER, GET OVER IT!! I don't think dealers will have any problems selling the Cobra, SVT said they will make only enough as the market is buying. Final production amounts are not determined.

These aren't like Z06's where Chevy is making more than enough to go around.

As far as dealers that won't take pre-orders for them, sorry I didn't have my notepad out taking down his name and dealer. I know it was in Michigan somewhere. He actually stopped taking pre-orders on them, sorry I mis-spoke. I don't think Ford would get pissed because they already have them sold and it's up to the dealers to sell them.

Hey the SVT's have the highest re-sale value of any "Big 3" vehicle made. A 2000 Lightning still has a retail re-sale value of close to $26,500, with average miles.

BTW this all my opinion. I just think any SVT vehicle is worth every penny of the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Except the 1996 and 97's they made too many of 'em. Over 20K combined...YIKES!!!

Last edited:

Zach

Established Member
Tommylightning...I appreciate your eagerness as a Ford salesman to defend the product you are selling. I'm not sure we are on the same page though as to what I'm wanting an answer on. In all truth the integrity of the '03 models won't TRULY be known until they are in the hands of the retail buyers in the real world. Regardless, I am attempting to buy an '03 and simply want your opinion on what this dealer is doing. He says May Job 1 is on hold despite what SVT is saying. The car does not have chrome wheels so there is no reason for a delay there. He says the order was placed Feb 10 and looking at the VOC I see no reason it should be placed on hold. I know the lower the Priority Code the quicker it will be built, my newest Ford truck was a Priority 10. This Cobra shows a Priority Code 80! Can you shed some light on this? The dealer I normally buy from wants $10K over sticker, so I switched a dealership I've never dealt with who said they will sell at MSRP.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
I was told by Mr. Scarpello that there is no delay in production other than the chrome wheel issue (ugly wheels anyway). This was at the SVT meeting last week.

10 G's over? Those are the guys I laugh at!!!:D :bash:

Maybe the dealer is keeping you in limbo and waiting until they have one that they will sell you for MSRP. It is not uncommon for some dealers to sell someones car to a different person that pays more, and they tell the original customer that it has not been produced or is delayed. It happens all the time at some dealers. But not here. Here, MSRP is the rule/price for cars like this no less/ no more. But we have never sold someone's car to another person, we have been offered a higher price a few times i.e. Pace Car and Mystic but never acted on it.

Does that shed some light for you?

Zach

Established Member
Yes sir, it does shed some light and I appreciate your candor as you have verified my fear that this guy is not shooting straight with me, thank you!

sssSnake 01

Established Member
there are two shifts that work 10 hr days i guess we could slow down the line and build 400 a day and charge 50,000.00 if that would make you happy the only thing the cobra go to stv were they get the once over and are made sure everthing is right 800 cars a day is not a lot when they sell 17,000,000 cars a year its only 40 cars an hour.

Based on your post you are obviously a man who knows about quality!

Seriously, if you work on the line I respect that. I am not trying to zeak the workers, I am only trying to get the point accross that your customers don't want a Friday car at 33 large a copy.

We want panels that mate correctly, tail lights that fit, lower valances that mate with the wheel wells without a 1/2 inch overhang and doors that align etc. If quality is Job 1, then it should be Job 1 all the time.

That just seems like a lot of cars in a 4 day span.
:)

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Yes sir, it does shed some light and I appreciate your candor as you have verified my fear that this guy is not shooting straight with me, thank you!

I would say Texas dealers will be big violators of this act. Most of the Texas dealers I was around were all talking big prices, I just smiled and thought to myself..."I wonder how many Cobra's I could sell to Texas residents?" Sold 3 for 2001 to Texas.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't know about the rest of you but I would fly to Mn to buy a car from TommyLightning before I paid $5k more than MSRP.

That's what I would do if I wasnt already getting mine at MSRP.

AND I told you that I called SVT last week and confirmed for you the facts....

Email me and I will give you the number if you still are not convinced.

:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread