Widespread Cobra Problems?

C_Record

Established Member
>>Some dealers I talked to in Phoenix won't even take any orders on the Cobra's.<<

A relative sells for a dealer here in VA. They've chosen the colors and models(all with spoilers). No customer orders. You come in, don't see a color you want or if you don't like the price(don't know how much yet, but definitely over MSRP), then they'll wait for someone who does. No plan offerings to employees either. He's a personal friend of the owner but still can't get his employee discount(appears I'll get one barely under MSRP). That's a tough store.

>>(ugly wheels anyway)<<

I thought I was the only one.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by rcogs
>>Some dealers I talked to in Phoenix won't even take any orders on the Cobra's.<<

A relative sells for a dealer here in VA. They've chosen the colors and models(all with spoilers). No customer orders. You come in, don't see a color you want or if you don't like the price(don't know how much yet, but definitely over MSRP), then they'll wait for someone who does. No plan offerings to employees either. He's a personal friend of the owner but still can't get his employee discount(appears I'll get one barely under MSRP). That's a tough store.

>>(ugly wheels anyway)<<

I thought I was the only one.
And some peeps doubted me.:bash: :cuss: :) :D :beer:

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
I don't know about the rest of you but I would fly to Mn to buy a car from TommyLightning before I paid $5k more than MSRP.

That's what I would do if I wasnt already getting mine at MSRP.

AND I told you that I called SVT last week and confirmed for you the facts....

Email me and I will give you the number if you still are not convinced.

:bash:

Nah don't fly...I can drop ship in your area.:)
952-252-4114
Tommy

wildosvt

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra 829
there are two shifts that work 10 hr days i guess we could slow down the line and build 400 a day and charge 50,000.00 if that would make you happy the only thing the cobra go to stv were they get the once over and are made sure everthing is right 800 cars a day is not a lot when they sell 17,000,000 cars a year its only 40 cars an hour.

Do you work at the Rouge??I know that they have been on 10's for a while but it isnt always like that.It is weird that the rouge only makes 400 a shift when Louisville makes around 550 mountaineers and thats with every 3rd vehicle being a mountaineer.You guys either run on very low man power or you have cake jobs.I work at the Saline plant where the IP's are made for the Mustang.:beer:

P51 Pilot

Established Member
As to overall quality, yesterday's (16 April) Wall Street Journal had a story titled "Pace of Ford's Turnaround Plan
Leaves Some Investors Unsettled" which confirmed "...Ford's warranty costs (are) considered among the highest in the industry..." It was in the same paragraph as the discussion of the SVT Focus recall.

The article went on to say that "Chris Theodore, head of Ford's North American product development, says the auto maker is making progress at slashing its warranty costs, but cautions that Ford still faces costs related to problems in older models. "With warranty, you are paying for the sins of the past," he says."

The Mustang's chassis and interior issues are due to old engineering and no real new investment. Let's hope that the SVT and SVE guys have done their homework on the new motor setup and ride the production guys hard to ensure no more embarassments.

cobra 829

Established Member
wildosvt no i work at livonia trans i have a couple of freinds that work there the people are crying about the poor quality they say the cobra has they say its because we make to many

wildosvt

Established Member
829 I could agree if they said they (we) make to many V6 equiped cars but not the Cobra.I think what your saying is they are over worked LOL.:sleeping:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
the biggest problem I think that I'll see is keeping rear tires on it.. :thumbsup: atleast that's the biggest I can see at this point in time.. oh yeah.. the restrictive stock exhaust has GOT to go.. cutouts, borla, flowmaster, 5" sewer pipe.. I don't care what it is.. if it has that stock pre 99 fix exhaust like it's rumored..

Black Cobra

Established Member
the biggest problem I think that I'll see is keeping rear tires on it.. atleast that's the biggest I can see at this point in time..

Another big problem is keeping rust off the brake rotors. I'm not a brake expert, but couldn't they use some other metal? Stainless steel maybe?

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Exhaust on 03's

the 2003 cobra has teh pre-fix 99 cobra exhaust it is not rumor heard from he engineer who ran the cobra program directly. First you think these guys are stoned why no high flow exhaust but it was done because of epa sound levels. he supercharger adds noise and that additional noise had to come out of the exhaust people. They also know we will modify so they are not very concerned and he told me a good exhaust would pick up 25hp no problems at all.

Black Cobra

Established Member
the 2003 cobra has teh pre-fix 99 cobra exhaust it is not rumor heard from he engineer who ran the cobra program directly...

They should have used that exhaust for the GTs, Bullets, and Mach 1s. On the 2003 Cobra, they should have installed high flow X-pipes, high flow cats, and whatever muffler that would bring sound levels down to suitable levels. Then a simple and cheaper muffler replacement would be all that was needed.

Better yet, perhaps they could have done something similar to what SLP did for the Camaro Z-28 SS. (The only reason I know about is because a buddy at work has a '97 Z-28 SS)

"During a recent discussion on the Camaro SS Mailing list it was discovered that some Camaro SS's built during 1996 and 1997 had been "quieted."
After some research it was reported to the list that early in the 1997 model production year the Camaro SS failed a drive by test which required the cars to "quieted" down."

The 97 Camaro SS - "Cone of Silence"

Ted01Cobra

Not to be negative... but...

I'm one of the unlucky guys that got a problem car... and Ford officially refuses to buy it back (Calif Lemon Law). Now I have to go through a long litigation process to get my money back.

Don't you believe for a minute that Ford will always stand behind it's customers. I have been a faithful Ford owner for the past 20 years and 6 cars, but this last experience with them soured me forever.

My '01 Cobra is one of the "pingers." It pings EVERY TIME for several seconds on any hard acceleration. It isn't "tip in" and it isn't "computer delay." The detonation is repeatable and consistant across all major brands of gasoline. Ford issued a ridiculous SSM stating that this pinging is "normal." They refuse to deal with it any more and have essentially left me out to dry. They say it won't cause engine damage, yet even the Cobra Owners Guide supplement says that it is a problem and should be seen by a dealer.

I used to believe in Ford. I don't any more. If you think that just because Ford Jr JR is in charge that things will be better... you've got a rude awakening. According to my lawyer, Ford is fighting virtiually every lemon case brought against them. They ARE NOT looking out for their customers!

I truly hope that you guys waiting on those beautiful '03s ALL get great cars. I really do. I'm just a little skeptical considering the track record of the recent Cobras. Granted, not all Cobras have problems... but God help anyone that happens to get one that does, because you'll be on your own.

Ted

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Ted, rather than give up, why don't you try any of the "fixes" that have worked for members on this board (and others, namely SCOA.org)? Couple of hundred dollars in an aftermarked chip and/or exhaust has "cured" alot of the pingers. I know it sucks having to put money into a $30K car to make it right, but if it ran like a bat-out-of-hell and had no engine problems, would you still be considering getting rid of it?

Just my $.02, I hope everything works out for you and the new '03s, as well.

rotorhed

Established Member
Quality Problems

I've read the stuff on BON too. There are also posts of noticable quality improvements on the 02 models. (since a family member is in charge again?)
We're trading our 01 GT Premium in on an 03 SVT and the 01 had some large quality problems in my opinion.
*Leaking rear main seal at 500 miles.
*RH head gasket leaking at 3,000 miles.
*Several minor interior fitment problems. Were realigned when they pulled the gearbox to fix main seal.
We waited 4 months for it to be built because it was a 5-spd. Not real impressed with the smoothness of the gearbox but looking forward to the 6-speed.

DOHC 32valve

well I have an 01 cobra that currently has 23k miles on it and have had no problems except today the passenger side window switch is not working.....I love this car and drive it pretty hard.....no issues what so ever and I expect the 03's to be the same a great car with great power:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread