Wider rear wheels

ModsAway

Established Member
Open tracking... does it make any sense to have wider wheels in the back? I am ordering 17x10.5 wheels and wrapping them in 315 gs-d3's purely for looks, ok and I know launching may be a slight bit better.

My concern though I have an open track event coming up and was wondering if I am going to be hindering my cars performance with wider tires in the rear

(FYI doing springs and IRS bushing before the tires if that makes any difference)

Thanks again. :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Wider tires in the rear does help. The more rubber you can have in contact with the pavement, the better.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
about the only downside that I can see is the potential for more understeer... any time you have more grip in the rear, you have the potential for more understeer in front. This can of course be corrected with a stiffer sway bar setting on the rear of the car, OR a less stiff sway bar setting in the front of the car.

ModsAway

Established Member
Thank you, about the same response I got in the 03 terminator forum. So for someone who isn't too "hardcore" if you will, I won't worry about it too much and just go ahead and put the larger tires on soon.

Thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I really like the way the car corners with the wider tires on the rear. In fact, I set my fast lap time at Road America with them on. The car feels much more planted in the turns. With the torque the "R" pulls coming out of the corner you can be a little more aggressive throttling up in the turn.

Now I just need another set of 18x10.5" wheels!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
I open track my 03 Cobra with 315s on back - MUCH better than with 275s. It does NOT make the understeer a lot worse as the main problem I had when the car was stock was that the back end would break loose fairly easy if I tried to power out of the corners with 275s in back.

Don't forget to put longer wheel studs on back (3 and 1/2") - and run ~ 3/8" spacers.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Originally posted by Serpentor
Flying Fred, any idea where I can get the 3/8" spacers? are they hubcentric?
The ones I have now are hubcentric and got them from my mechanic. I think they were made by a friend of his, but not sure. Maximum Motorsports lists some hubcentric spacers on their website, though off the top of my head I can't remember what sizes they offer. You could check their website for more details.
:beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
MM has 1/4" and 1/2" spacers that are hub-centric. With the 1/4" spacer you will have 6 thread engagement which is legal at most tracks, but with the 1/2" spacers you will need to install larger wheel studs.

Users who are viewing this thread