WI tint question

J.T.

Established Member
I just recently moved from VA where the tint laws seem to be similar. A couple years ago I was diagnosed with Photophobia (sensitivity to light), I was given a waiver to legally put darker window tint on my vehicles. With the waiver I was allowed 35% on all windows which I had installed and it helped out a lot. I was wondering if there is any waiver or exemption for medical conditions in WI. Since it did help a lot I would rather not remove it but I would like to keep it legal as oppsoed to gettting pulled over and being one of those people you hear about that are forced to remove it on the spot.

Thanks

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
couldn't tell you, but i have 15% and no front license plate (maybe make more the urge to pull me over) and i've driven head on, past parked cops with my windows up and not one has given me trouble...yet. im sure if i get pulled over, i'll get cited for it. but idk about medical conditions, you could maybe use that as an excuse to keep it on!

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Sounds like the Laws are almost exactly the same. Just make sure you keep a COPY of the letter from your Doctor in the glove box. If you are stopped, just supply the officer with the letter and if he tickets you anyway for some reason, just mail in another copy with the citation and a not guilty plea.

The State of Wisconsin said:
Trans 305.32(4)(b)3.
The windows are tinted, upon the recommendation of a physician or a Christian Science practitioner treating the owner, or an immediate family member of the owner of the vehicle, by the application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of at least 35% of the visible light striking the windows. Tinting films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective. A written statement from the treating physician or Christian Science practitioner which identifies the patient, the medical condition justifying the recommendation, whether the condition is temporary or permanent and the vehicle to which the recommendation applies, including the make, model, year and vehicle identification number, shall be carried in the vehicle at all times. Tinting film applied under this subparagraph shall be removed when a vehicle covered by the recommendation is sold, when the person for whom a recommendation was made no longer resides in the household of the owner of the vehicle or when the duration of a temporary condition which is the basis for a recommendation has expired.

J.T.

Established Member
Thanks Lawfficer, that was what I was needing. I thought I had seen that somewhere but for some reason was unable to find it again. I have a print out of the code/section to back me up. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread