Why would a Ford tech care to void a warranty?

cubes

Established Member
Maybe a former dealer tech can answer this. What is the incentive for a tech to void a warranty? Does he get a bonus or something? Don't the mechanic and dealership make money from the work? I know it is less than non-warranty work, but who cares money is money right? Has anyone used help from Ben Franklin to avoid a warranty issue?

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
Originally posted by cubes
Maybe a former dealer tech can answer this. What is the incentive for a tech to void a warranty? Does he get a bonus or something? Don't the mechanic and dealership make money from the work? I know it is less than non-warranty work, but who cares money is money right? Has anyone used help from Ben Franklin to avoid a warranty issue?

I'm not a Ford tech,but with all the corporate scandals going on.If i owned a Ford dealership and one of my techs was not honest with Ford her or she would be out of a job.

cubes

Established Member
It seems like more owners are getting voided. Why would a tech care? If he has to install a trans in a SLIGHTLY modded car or a stock car is the same amount of work and same money paid.

46stang

Established Member
typically when they say your warranty is voided, it really isn't! Ford doesn't pay crap for warranty repairs and someone that races there car is more than likely going to break it again! If your car comes back with the same problem it looks bad on us! (the whole fix it right the first time thing). also we actually make money on customer pay work, but warranty is very hard to make money!
If your rear end breaks because you had slicks that would technically be your fault, so they probably wouldn't cover that under warranty!,but at the same time your radio stopped working the slicks didn't break that so it would still be warrantied! hope that makes since?
Leon

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Well I work at Ford and an assistant tech for now...so I can tell you exactly why they/we care.

First off EVERY single warranty part that has a problem has to be returned to Ford, then it is Ford's decision whether they want to check that part(For example: Blown Rod in a Lightning....they want to know how exactly that happened because it is a pretty serious problem) so if they find something suspicious they can re-call the Technincian who worked on it and if he gets caught of Warrantying a problem that was caused by mods he could get fired....So alot of Technicians aren't willing to risk that problem,unless it is a friend then MAYBE they are more leniant.

Second Techs let ALOT of sh*t slide, I can't even count the numbers of Lightnings that have come into the shop with Pulleys,Chips..etc, the Technincians RARELY ever check for that unless they can't find how that problem could be caused by wear and tear.
( For Example a 2002 Lightning with only 5k miles came in with a complaint of Cracked Rotors...Ok..so the technician was wondering how it had cracked rotors after only 5k miles? Well he popped the hood to find Nitrous,note he didnt even know the Lightning had a Chip,Pulley,Nittos,etc.., Now come on guys but that is plain ridiciolous on the customer to expect to get warrantied with all that,atleast take the nitrous out,he would of most likely gotten warrantied if he would of taken it out. If this particular technincian would of warrantied it, you can bet Ford would of gotten on his case...because cracked rotors aren't common after only 5k.)
Anyways MOST(8of10) don't even know what some mods look like unless they set off a computer code or are obvious.

Point is they let alot of stuff slide but when you come in a shop with a blown motor and mods still on it chances are you're not getting warrantied...you come in with a blown motor and mods off(PULLEY,CHIP,NITROUS)while leave stuff like(EXHAUST,FILTER,BREATHER CAP) on then you probably will get warrantied, you come with something stupid like window doesnt go down and you leave the mods on they wont even care....the ONLY time they will care is if the PROBLEM is obviousely caused by the mod.

All you need is some common sense...like if you know a mod(Pulley,Chip) might blow your motor be careful and remember to take it off if it does blow,remember stupid things wont void warranty, plus it pisses some technicians off that some people do mods with out knowing and then wonder why their vehicles have problems,like the guy mentioned above should buy some better rotors,or taken it a little easier, when you mod one thing you usually always have to strengthen something else.

93cobra03

Established Member
A dealership can not void a warranty. Only Ford rep can do that and only after looking at problem, seeing that it is obvious, and would stand up against litigation. It is beyond rare that a complete car warranty is voided and in some cirumstances it would be illegal. The proof to void a warranty is almost impossible to collect. Unless you showed up to a dealership w/ slicks, chip installed, and N.O.S. hooked up you should have little problem. A dealership does get paid for warranty and although it is not as much as customer work sometimes it may be all the work they get. The best way to handle an issue is to put car back to stock condition as far as you can. You do not need to reinstall gears or such but pull the noticeable things and if they try to pull the "well the transmission doesn't work b/c we can tell you are hard on the car" crap you know what they are after. Then and there ask for a rep to look and that usually cuts out crap. If they are still persistant take it to the regional rep and tell them the future of your purchasing another Ford product is in doubt. Now, if you did cause the problem play it out , but do not push it as you will look like a dumbasss in the end.
Also to dealerships will let alot slide but are careful not to get a warranty bounced back. Ford reps will do audits of repairs and if they see something suspicious they will make dealership repay bad warranty claim and it is at their discretion. So, dealership managers are sometimes careful if a rep has to be called in to look at part or part has to go back to Ford.

Last edited:

stan03

Established Member
Good Tech's CARE...AND MAKE OVER 100K

A good heavy line or other warranty tech can make great money and be honest.In my experience as a dealer for 20yrs it's usually not the dealer that cancels the warranty,but if it get's cancelled it is not a joke.
I hope none of my tech share the harsh feeling towards the hand that feeds them...the customer.
We have to take care of our customers,while having a very serious legal obligation to the manufacturer we represent.
If the dealer has a warranty audit due to unusually high numbers in a particular area or vehicle the fraud found on a sample size is x10 and payable at once.
Please understand warranty covers the stock configuration for failure due to defects...not abuse,racing or modifications.
Quit whining and go drive your car..but get out that checkbook if you brake it racing.
DON'T PLAY IF YOU CAN'T PAY !!!

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I think a lot of it comes down to the dealer or maybe the service manager. I had my 99 worked on about a dozen times for valid warranty repairs (mostly minor stuff, leaking coolent tank, TO bearing, squeeky window, etc). I wasn't there often enough for them to recognize me, but I built up a relationship with the dealer through my service file; a couple times they had to keep the car several days and i was very accomidating.

One of those times i brought the car in for a bad miss. It turned out to be the main wiring harness that feeds the coil packs had come loose and was touching the EGR feed and had shorted out. The problem was caused by the shop that installed the strut tower brace and didn't re-attach the wiring harness. They said so and i openly acknowledged the work- not only did they fixed the problem graciously, they didn't never mentioned the warrenty issues.

That same dealer later warrentied a wheel bearing repair 1000 miles after the warrenty expired- and i didn't even ask, the service manager called and offered to petition Ford on my behalf.

I've also heard horror stories about other dealers- refusing repairs even though the car had no mods, because they found rubber on the rear quarter panel.

dougwg

Established Member
It's called "KNOWING RIGHT FROM WRONG!":rolleyes:

I know Dealers suck A@@ but if YOU take YOUR car in for service, for god sake make sure they can't void you.:idea:

As far as the Tech, it's part of his job.... YOU don't sign his paycheck..... the Dealer does!:beer:

CYA=Cover Your A@@

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lemme see I buy a ............JEEP........put a super charger on it.....NOS..........pull the heads and shave um for more Compression...... and I drop the rear end out of it at the Salt Flats..........:eek:

Should a dealer GIVE ME A NEW REAR END ,,,cuz it couldn't stand up to the 300shot NOS I installed?:shrug:

I hope everyone takes this the right way.....I'll say it again....dealers suck major A@@

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra
I think a lot of it comes down to the dealer or maybe the service manager. I had my 99 worked on about a dozen times for valid warranty repairs (mostly minor stuff, leaking coolent tank, TO bearing, squeeky window, etc). I wasn't there often enough for them to recognize me, but I built up a relationship with the dealer through my service file; a couple times they had to keep the car several days and i was very accomidating.

One of those times i brought the car in for a bad miss. It turned out to be the main wiring harness that feeds the coil packs had come loose and was touching the EGR feed and had shorted out. The problem was caused by the shop that installed the strut tower brace and didn't re-attach the wiring harness. They said so and i openly acknowledged the work- not only did they fixed the problem graciously, they didn't never mentioned the warrenty issues.

That same dealer later warrentied a wheel bearing repair 1000 miles after the warrenty expired- and i didn't even ask, the service manager called and offered to petition Ford on my behalf.

I've also heard horror stories about other dealers- refusing repairs even though the car had no mods, because they found rubber on the rear quarter panel.

I guess I should have quite while I was ahead. :) You had me all excited and ready to bring my car in for service.......and then I read your last paragraph. :|

cubes

Established Member
Thanks for the great responses. It helps with some insight into the dealer side of it.
I remember the good ole days, late 80's/early 90's. A couple dealers around me would not void your warranty for mods. The catch was they had to be bought from and installed by that dealership. I can't count how many of my friends had their transmissions repaired several times. Those T5s were garbage. (I'm the only one that never blew the trans).

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I know it's been posted, but I'll chime in anyway. They make more money on customer pay work. Yes I used to wrench for a ford dealer.

david smilovic

Established Member
The Mod has to be repair issue specific IE: Craked rotors cant be turned away even if you have 9 chips,juice and 3 turbos.Possibly your transmision can but thats arguable under the Magnason Morrison consumer protection act which says you CAN use after market parts to enhance the efficiency of a product.Dont lie down and take NO'S from these jerks.
If you install a 2.8" pulley on your blower they have a great case if the blower dies,but not if you blow a valve spring and pop a valve into a piston.Good Luck Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread