Why use 60lb injectors with K/B or Whipple?

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
I see that alot of you guys with aftermarket blowers use bigger size fule injectors. I was under the impression that the stock 03/04 Cobra injectors are big enough to support the 2.3 Whipple application as well as the K/B's.
Please, explain as I am about to upgrade to Whipple but am trying to trim down on $$$ that don't have to be wasted.
:shrug:

terminator04

Director Choice 1st place
Established Member
Depends on how much boost your going to run. Anything more than 13PSI I would get bigger injectors, IMO

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
The reason why I was asking is, cause a Performace shop where I go to showed me some calculations and basically told me that the 40lb injectors are good for like 25lbs of boost, so I thought I'd be running maybe 15lbs of boost with the Whipple which should be more than enough.

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
terminator04 said:
Depends on how much boost your going to run. Anything more than 13PSI I would get bigger injectors, IMO

Sorry to bother you, thanks for the reply. I was gonna ask you if you run a bigger fuel pump as well. I am gonna be happy with your HP/TQ numbers, what do I need to get there?

Thanx

F8L SN8K

Established Member
At 25psi the stock injectors would flow, around 14 pounds per hour. 39 -25=14. Kenne Bell ran the stockers up to 21 pounds on their test cobra and made 620 horspower. with some major computer tuning, stock mass air, and a BAP(which ups fuel pressure which forces the injectors to flow more), and race gas. You mightbe able to run 15 pounds on the stockers but that would be max, and not extremly safe(safety curtain)Whipple says 13 pounds max. I wouldnt run the stockers much past 525rwhp. going by the flow rates alone, they will supply enough fuel to support 680(for 42 pound injectors)flywheel horsepower, but when you had boost you lower, what the injector flows.

Last edited:

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
basically if your going to nickel and dime leave the car at stock boost, because its a slippery slope over 500HP

Last edited:

carfax

Established Member
F8L SN8K said:
At 25psi the stock injectors would flow, around 14 pounds per hour. 39 -25=14. Kenne Bell ran the stockers up to 21 pounds on their test cobra and made 620 horspower. with some major computer tuning, stock mass air, and a BAP(which ups fuel pressure which forces the injectors to flow more), and race gas. You mightbe able to run 15 pounds on the stockers but that would be max, and not extremly safe(safety curtain)Whipple says 13 pounds max. I wouldnt run the stockers much past 525rwhp. going by the flow rates alone, they will supply enough fuel to support 680(for 42 pound injectors)flywheel horsepower, but when you had boost you lower, what the injector flows.

well then my buddy defies physics. kb at 17 # stock injectors and 580 rwhp. boost-a-pump is it for fuel delivery.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
My advice is don't skimp on fuel. I understand trying to trim the budget but don't short yourself in that area. The 400 bucks for the injectors could save you 4 grand to rebuild the motor or worse...

Users who are viewing this thread