WHY turn off the traction control???

Nino S

Established Member
It is a rutine of mine since the day I bought the car. Sit down, start her up, turn off traction control, turn up stereo, and roll down both windows. I hate the TCS that came on our cars more then anything else. It is a very old system that kills the cars power as soon as you begin to spin the rears. If it were a much more advance system like on the newer GTO's or the C6 vettes then I would leave it on at all times minus track days. Next time I get my Cobra tuned I am going to ask them to have it totally disabled.

Nino

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I turned mine off in the tune. It was nice in the rain though. One time I was pulling out from a street and almost got hit cause the traction control came on and bogged the car. After that, I never used it again!

dragon40k

Established Member
I learned what that button did the first day I bought the car when I was playing around and I was like WFT is that green light that comes on when the car dies. I've turned it off as a routine ever since.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Month ago my car hydroplaned at 65mph. Completely lost control of the car and spun around on the interstate into the ditch. Didn't even feel the traction control kick in.

That must have been a scary one. I hydroplaned my '99 Cobra before going slowly through a right turn at an intersection, except I went over some curbs instead. Even at 10mph, I didn't feel it kick in either, which was strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Ok first off, in my defense, I have done a search on this subject throughout the forum and couldnt find my answer. I dont want to irritate anyone by re-posting something thats probably gone over a few times here.

Ok with that out of the way, My main question is:

WHY do some of you guys turn off the traction control?

next question - Does the traction control limit power? i.e.- do you potentially have more power WHILE DRIVING w/ it off or does it just cut power when the tires spin?

If I were to say, take the car to the dyno and dynoed it twice, once w/ it on and once w/ it off do you think there would be a difference?

this may be a stupid ? but no one ever yold me I was smart.:idea:

Hey,

Nice color Cobra! :thumbsup:

A question:

Have you experienced the cut off by TCS while under hard acceleration on a dry surface?

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Hey,

Nice color Cobra! :thumbsup:

A question:

Have you experienced the cut off by TCS while under hard acceleration on a dry surface?

No sir I have not had the pleasure. but I dont think thats going to be a problem with all these horror stories here. It has kicked on a few times but it didnt feel like anything some of these guys described. I would get into it and in 2nd a little
( wot:rockon:) and the car would break loose about 4000 rpm and start to hang the ass out sideways and as soon as it got to this point the power would cut out but I would simultaniously let off.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. It was going to be between the comp orange 04 coupe or an 03 silver anniversary coupe and nothing else. took me a while to find one, these god-damn orange sum-bitches dont come around too often.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
this is so true.

or get on it too much coming out of a corner to whip the tail out a bit in the rain and TC engages while you are at a 20-30* angle while you think you are gonna hang the ass out for a bit longer it turns on and grabs and sends you into the nearest curb. didnt happen to me yet but almost with my 02 GT

im in the habit of getting in the car, engage clutch, turn key, once car is on, right hand flicks the shifter into neutral and clicks the TC off while the left hand pulls on the headlights and the clutch is disengaged. i guess my girl noticed the routine one day we were out doing a shitload of errand runs and thought it was pretty funny. i shot back with the "coming from the person who's radio volume has to always land on an even number........"

honestly, who the hell wants traction control? im pretty sure if we all wanted a car that couldnt peel tires, we wouldve bought a Prius.

Your point about "hanging it out and then having it cut and possibly put you into a curb is right on.
I purposely relocated the traction switch to the far left in the console to ensure I could see it easily and know whether its on or off. easy mod. and it's free!

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
What about this Traction Control Bypass on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...008QQitemZ180212514502QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

"Here's how it works .....

After installation the first time your Mustang is started push the traction control button once to turn it off (light on) and from this moment on the Black Box II remembers your last setting and every time you start your Mustang the Black Box II will turn the traction control off with no input from you. If you wish to have the traction control ON (light off) then push the button one time turning the traction control back on and it will be on every time from that moment on without any input from you until you change it again."

-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2004-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-GT-Traction-Control-Bypass_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ008QQitemZ180212514502QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Has anybody tried it? Recommended or not?

Last edited:

akula51

Me
Established Member
You're absolutely right. Duh. I'm absolutely wrong. I guess I haven't needed it since I loaded my tune...laugh. You're correct, this absolutely is a better solution on paper, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's tried it...

My apologies...

Ack

Last edited:

89shoyamaha

Established Member
I found out the hard way. When I bought mine the sales manager wanted me to get on it and upon leaving I tried and it looked like I stalled. Talk about embarrasing.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Similar story here.

Highway was two lanes each way with a turning lane in middle. Had to cross 3 lanes when I made a left. Punched it as I crossed the turning lane, TC kicked in and car bogged instantly. Was almost rear ended. NEVER again. I turn it off 1st thing after I start the car.

I guess I would leave it on for wet roads, but car never sees rain.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Mine is also turned off in the tune so I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it off before play time. I heard it can also create a lean condition when it cuts fuel and possibly damage the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread