Why to, or not, to buy...

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
New to the club. Not sure if this is the appropriate location for my post.

Long time push rod guy here. I've had several foxes and one 95 5.0. I'm researching mod motors now. Interested in '97-'98 Cobras, '99 & '01 Cobras, possibly '03-04 Cobras. I'm aware of the horsepower ratings and ETs of each vehicle. However, as I research these models can anyone, who owns or has owned, give me insights as to why not, or why I ought to purchase one of these models? Are there tips, tricks, or common troubles I ought to be aware of? I'm currently disabled so I don't work on my own stuff anymore. So, no project cars desired.

Thank you for any help and advise you all may have.

badmpg03

Established Member
I would read up but if you can afford it: get the 03-04 in my opinion hands down, prices seem to be softening a bit locally here.
It's a great platform for fun with T56 / stock strong motor / IRS rear
With the new blowers and good fuel you can be into a car with 500-700+hp for not a ton of money.

I have a thing for 96-98 cobras and am even looking around for one. Great fun for much less $$$, and would not hesitate on a clean one, they are just relatively slow given today's muscle, but they can be modded up to par.

A terminator to me if worth another 8-10K over 99/01 and will hold value better in long run, so personally would not consider 99/01, but nothing wrong with those cars if you can find one priced right

All the car's have there issues but anything can be fixed.
03/04, if you start modding, you will have alternator problems almost guaranteed, and maybe traction problems :D

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
I would read up but if you can afford it: get the 03-04 in my opinion hands down, prices seem to be softening a bit locally here.
It's a great platform for fun with T56 / stock strong motor / IRS rear
With the new blowers and good fuel you can be into a car with 500-700+hp for not a ton of money.

I have a thing for 96-98 cobras and am even looking around for one. Great fun for much less $$$, and would not hesitate on a clean one, they are just relatively slow given today's muscle, but they can be modded up to par.

A terminator to me if worth another 8-10K over 99/01 and will hold value better in long run, so personally would not consider 99/01, but nothing wrong with those cars if you can find one priced right

All the car's have there issues but anything can be fixed.
03/04, if you start modding, you will have alternator problems almost guaranteed, and maybe traction problems :D
Thanks so much for your time in responding. Personally, I'd like an '03-'04, but boy are they pricey. Its hard for me to justify that price when I could take the money and go buy a coyote. Yes, I know about the bottom end of the termi. It's awesome. At the same time, it's also awe$ome!

If this helps, I'm not so concerned with the long-term value of the vehicle. In other words, regardless of the model, I will not be buying with the intent of a garage queen. I plan on driving it whenever...

Anybody else have any real-life input?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What are you goals for the car? As Jameeson said, the 03/04's are a significant step better than the 96-01 Cobras but unless you intend to push more than 450 rwhp it may not be worth the extra cost.

My Vortech supercharged 99 is plenty fun but I don't even consider it fast when stacked up against other modded cars. It will be when I rebuild the engine but can't justify tearing into a running engine.

For $6-8k you can get a lightly modded, clean 96-01 Cobra. Pretty darn good bang for the buck IMO.

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
What are you goals for the car? As Jameeson said, the 03/04's are a significant step better than the 96-01 Cobras but unless you intend to push more than 450 rwhp it may not be worth the extra cost.

My Vortech supercharged 99 is plenty fun but I don't even consider it fast when stacked up against other modded cars. It will be when I rebuild the engine but can't justify tearing into a running engine.

For $6-8k you can get a lightly modded, clean 96-01 Cobra. Pretty darn good bang for the buck IMO.
Great question! Thank you for trying to help. Whatever vehicle I get I plan on actually driving it. No garage queens. That being said, I'm not too concerned about resale value or collectible status. At the same time, if I modify something I intend to keep all the original parts. So, the overall picture is something I can drive as needed, something fun, something valuable to me.

The smaller picture, I think, begs your question. I'm not concerned with 450 rwhp. Yet, I'd still like something relevant. So, maybe something around 340-350 rwhp??? Is this even possible outside of a Termi? If not, what's reasonable to expect from '97-'01 Cobras with bolt ons? Is a blower package even worth it if a supercharged '99 isn't considered fast when stacked up against other modded cars? I guess the idea of "other modded cars," could use some examples. Thanks again so much!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
So, maybe something around 340-350 rwhp??? Is this even possible outside of a Termi? If not, what's reasonable to expect from '97-'01 Cobras with bolt ons? Is a blower package even worth it if a supercharged '99 isn't considered fast when stacked up against other modded cars? I guess the idea of "other modded cars," could use some examples. Thanks again so much!

Yes it is as my 2003 Mercury Marauder with a 5.0 Liter stroker (same exact engine that the Mach I's had) and Trilogy Eaton Roots kit made 428 RWHP on 12 PSI. I didn't have too much trouble against the triple SRT versions of the 300, Magnum, or Challenger's 06-12's with it and that is in a much heavier car than Mustangs by almost a 1000 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 128

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
Have you looked into Mach 1's? I would buy one of those before a pre-'03 Cobra. Not many issues or weak points with them and they are priced usually between the two Cobra generations.
Funny you should mention that. I just started researching them today. Besides the live axle, 4v configuration, 355 gears, can you inform me [why] you'd take that over a '99-'01 Cobra. Just trying to get more input.

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
Yes it is as my 2003 Mercury Marauder with a 5.0 Liter stroker (same exact engine that the Mach I's had) and Trilogy Eaton Roots kit made 428 RWHP on 12 PSI. I didn't have too much trouble against the triple SRT versions of the 300, Magnum, or Challenger's 06-12's with it and that is in a much heavier car than Mustangs by almost a 1000 pounds.
Ok. So, sans the stroker work, if I stuck a blower on, even with less boost than you, I could see 350 whp without much trouble. Is that correct?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bought an 01 Cobra because at the time I couldn't swing the 03/04. By the time I got done modding it I could have bought an 03/04 and probably saved money. But I went a little overboard with it. Stroker, big blower, fuel, trans, etc. I got tired of fixing things so now I own an 04. But then I wanted a Mystichrome forever and they only offered that in 04.

If you pick up a 4V and throw boost at it you'll be over 400hp easy. If you "only" want 350 you can do that N/A.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Great question! Thank you for trying to help. Whatever vehicle I get I plan on actually driving it. No garage queens. That being said, I'm not too concerned about resale value or collectible status. At the same time, if I modify something I intend to keep all the original parts. So, the overall picture is something I can drive as needed, something fun, something valuable to me.

The smaller picture, I think, begs your question. I'm not concerned with 450 rwhp. Yet, I'd still like something relevant. So, maybe something around 340-350 rwhp??? Is this even possible outside of a Termi? If not, what's reasonable to expect from '97-'01 Cobras with bolt ons? Is a blower package even worth it if a supercharged '99 isn't considered fast when stacked up against other modded cars? I guess the idea of "other modded cars," could use some examples. Thanks again so much!

You probably won't get over 320 rwhp without cams. A good tune, long tube headers and hi flow (or no) cats should get you to around 320 rwhp in a 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach 1. Slightly less with a 96-98 Cobra.

Don't get me wrong, the car pretty fast but not really fast. The vehicles I'm talking about my neighbors Evo that he claims makes 750 awhp or even another buddy's Supra that makes 600 rwhp.

As far as if the supercharger is worth it, well that's a personal decision for each person. I managed to get my car supercharged, intercooled and tuned for around $3k. That included the fuel pump, voltage booster and 39 lb injectors. Getting a good deal on the head unit is the most important part of keeping the cost reasonable.

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
I bought an 01 Cobra because at the time I couldn't swing the 03/04. By the time I got done modding it I could have bought an 03/04 and probably saved money. But I went a little overboard with it. Stroker, big blower, fuel, trans, etc. I got tired of fixing things so now I own an 04. But then I wanted a Mystichrome forever and they only offered that in 04.

If you pick up a 4V and throw boost at it you'll be over 400hp easy. If you "only" want 350 you can do that N/A.
Thanks slow984now. That's some good info. So, if I bought a '99-'01 or a Mach 1, changed nothing, but installed a SC package (w/tune), I'd hit 400 whp? WOuld the IRS even live under that power? Keep in mind, it'll never see a drag strip, I'm not a maniac driver (I'm older), just want a fun to me car.

Re: 350 whp. All bolt-ons can get me there no problem?

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member
You probably won't get over 320 rwhp without cams. A good tune, long tube headers and hi flow (or no) cats should get you to around 320 rwhp in a 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach 1. Slightly less with a 96-98 Cobra.

Don't get me wrong, the car pretty fast but not really fast. The vehicles I'm talking about my neighbors Evo that he claims makes 750 awhp or even another buddy's Supra that makes 600 rwhp.

As far as if the supercharger is worth it, well that's a personal decision for each person. I managed to get my car supercharged, intercooled and tuned for around $3k. That included the fuel pump, voltage booster and 39 lb injectors. Getting a good deal on the head unit is the most important part of keeping the cost reasonable.
So, I guess my question in a refined form could be: Can 350-400 whp in a '99-'01 Cobra or Mach 1 be had, within reason, and with reasonable reliability, and if so, upon which platform ought I try to build? Beyond those whp numbers, I really don't care. That range seems to be a good range for a guy to have fun and just enjoy the car.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So, I guess my question in a refined form could be: Can 350-400 whp in a '99-'01 Cobra or Mach 1 be had, within reason, and with reasonable reliability, and if so, upon which platform ought I try to build? Beyond those whp numbers, I really don't care. That range seems to be a good range for a guy to have fun and just enjoy the car.

What is your budget? Here is a nitrous Cobra for $12k. https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/99-cobra-excellent-condition-406-rwhp.1166095/

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Funny you should mention that. I just started researching them today. Besides the live axle, 4v configuration, 355 gears, can you inform me [why] you'd take that over a '99-'01 Cobra. Just trying to get more input.

The shaker hood! Haha, I just prefer the (little bit more) exclusive Mach 1 branding than if I had the lesser Cobra model.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
put a centrifugal blower on any 4v car and you can get 400hp+ HP easily.

joetrainer31

Will do free test-drives
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread