Why the term COP?

rmoreau

Established Member
I have heard this term used often ( even LEO's) and I always thought that it was derogotory.

Is there a definition, like LEO ( Law Enforcement Officer) or some other reason this came to be an acceptable reference?

Thank you in advance.

Randy

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
There are a couple of explanations I have heard.

The first one is it is a shortened version of the term "copper"! Which arose in the early 1900's when police in the large towns on the east coast wore uniforms with large cooper buttons down the front and you could see them coming!

The other stood for "Citizens on Patrol"!

I think the first one is more accurate and the second one was derived as an Acronym of the Cop.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
There are a couple of explanations I have heard.

The first one is it is a shortened version of the term "copper"! Which arose in the early 1900's when police in the large towns on the east coast wore uniforms with large cooper buttons down the front and you could see them coming!

I think the first one is more accurate and the second one was derived as an Acronym of the Cop.

There's a nice commentary on the Gangs of New York DVD that covers the history of the "Copper".:thumbsup:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Just a few days ago I watched a special on cable about the history of police. They too said the term "cop" came from "copper" and referred to the copper badges worn by (I believe New York) police.

venumus

When I was in England many many years ago, they called the Police, Constable of Police, and also Bobby. I think COP came from that variation. Thats my .02 worth :-D

rmoreau

Established Member
Thank you all,

I'm always a fan of how terms come into use.

Randy

p.s. I haven't seen gangs of new york, is the commentary similar to the explainations above??

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by rmoreau
Thank you all,

I'm always a fan of how terms come into use.

Randy

p.s. I haven't seen gangs of new york, is the commentary similar to the explainations above??

The "special" covers the entire history of the police and fire departments in Hell's Kitchen during the 1800's. I would recommend watching the commentary before you watch the movie, especially if you are unfamiliar with the whole historical background (like me). :thumbsup:

They also discuss the tweed ring and other corruption rings during that time.

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

Great Police Academy Movie! :rolling:

I've always heard short for copper as well.

rmoreau

Established Member
I think I would tend to go along with copper, for the buttons/Constableon Patrol/badges....primarily because I have heard English "bobbies" refer to themselves as "Coppers"

Randy

bskinner

FORDSVTFAN, ACTUALLLY it wasnt the copper buttons that got them the name it was the badges that were made of copper that started it all. my father-in-laws grandfather was a police officer in the early 1900s and i have his old badge (made of copper) when he gave it to me i got the story on how we got the label "cops". Same as your story just not the buttons it was the badge. has been appraised at over $1100.00

96GTS

Established Member
I had heard COP stood for Certified Officer's of the Peace. Kinda like some places (other countries) call police officers Peace Officers. Interesting info about the copper badges though.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Originally posted by SPEEDTRAPZ
FORDSVTFAN, ACTUALLLY it wasnt the copper buttons that got them the name it was the badges that were made of copper that started it all. my father-in-laws grandfather was a police officer in the early 1900s and i have his old badge (made of copper) when he gave it to me i got the story on how we got the label "cops". Same as your story just not the buttons it was the badge. has been appraised at over $1100.00

Now that's an investment worthwhile.

bskinner

id never sell it, im an LEO i guess ill give it to my kid when he/she gets older. its one of those thing where I COULD sell it but just because i can doesnt mean i should.

Users who are viewing this thread