Why tear a term aprt for turbo setup?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Iam a former 03 owner myself. Mine was all stock when i sold it. Never wanted to go all out because I liked it for what it was. The question is this. Does the 03/04 have the best platform for the turbo vs. (lets say) 01 cobra?
Dont you turbo guys pull the engine anyway and rebuild it stronger. Then most everyone changes out everything in the suspension, some also swap to a live axle. So whats actually left of the original 03/04? Some people pay alot for the terminator as it stood stock b ut then you just tear everything off it that was stock. So basically you pay for all whole lot of nothing. Do not flame me or attack me because im not talking trash. My curiousity got the best of me this morning while lookin at some turbo threads. Thanks for any input. :beer:

TRBO VNM

no, these motors stock can handle the power. the 01 stock motor can't.

you don't have to do the solid or auto, but some choose to. why? I don't know, faster, not breaking things, etc.

it is an addiction when modding and going faster. you keep wanting more, so you do what you have to do to get there. Some who have more control just sell them when they get to a certain point.

I don't think the terminator will be a collector. not like the shelby, so people will mod them like the GT or any other car they buy.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ShortThrow50 said:
Iam a former 03 owner myself. Mine was all stock when i sold it. Never wanted to go all out because I liked it for what it was. The question is this. Does the 03/04 have the best platform for the turbo vs. (lets say) 01 cobra?
Dont you turbo guys pull the engine anyway and rebuild it stronger. Then most everyone changes out everything in the suspension, some also swap to a live axle. So whats actually left of the original 03/04? Some people pay alot for the terminator as it stood stock b ut then you just tear everything off it that was stock. So basically you pay for all whole lot of nothing. Do not flame me or attack me because im not talking trash. My curiousity got the best of me this morning while lookin at some turbo threads. Thanks for any input. :beer:

People can do it for a lot of reasons. Majority didn't plan on putting the Turbo kit on the car when they first purchased them, I am almost willing to bet on that.

Now, as far as ripping out the 6-Speed or the IRS and changing it for what another car will come not, I am not completely sure myself either. I like the IRS too much to get rid of it. Yeah, I would also love dropping 100+ LBS, but I like how the car handles.

But, a lot of variables change. People can push these stock motors hard, which you wont get out of another car. These are the better flowing heads compared to the early Cobras and Mach 1's. The ports are similiar between the heads, but the Cobras (03/04) will flow more up until 6500 on the stock cam, but after that the 96-98 Heads flow better up top.

Maybe people do it for the different Interior, or for the sake they say they have a Twin Turbo 2003 Cobra? I honestly couldn't tell you, but I am sure there are a lot of reasons!! :-D :beer:

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
b/c they make insane power over almost anything else you can do? but they take a little time working the bugs out of the set-up when it first gets running...but very much worth it once it is done

TRBO VNM

Turbo94Cobra said:
b/c they make insane power over almost anything else you can do? but they take a little time working the bugs out of the set-up when it first gets running...but very much worth it once it is done

bugs? what do you mean?

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
well...on my car, since most of the work was done by me....it took a few times of heating up/cooling down to realize what componentes had to be blocked from the heat of the kit (easy fix as the dowmpipe was the only thing needing to be heat wrapped on my kit and i put a turbo blanket on the turbo), finding a tuner for the car (wasn't hard either but some guys weren't as comfortable tuning my standalone witha turbo), and just getting it reliable enough to drive daily. not really any harder than going s/c in my opinion (but i have a 5.0 cobra where i couldn't easily swap out for a KB)

nothing bad, just things you have to do once you get any car running, especially when you just added a bunch of pieces that weren't present under the hood to begin with.

i have a turbo on my '94 cobra and love it...i would never go back to a s/c...but there were a few bugs to work out when you 1st get it running...and after that it is all worth it with the insane power a turbo makes! :)

Last edited:

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
That is why I hate seeing some of you guys tear a turbo kit off because it didn't run perfectly right away. The fact is that putting a turbo kit on your car when it didn't have one to begin with will require a little bit more work. But if you are going to try to make it fast, unique, and fun to drive (or whatever reason you have for modding your car) a turbo is well worth it.

If the turbo kit is installed with planning and done right, it will be just as reliable as any blower car. It just takes some knowledge of installing the kit and patience.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Turbo94Cobra said:
That is why I hate seeing some of you guys tear a turbo kit off because it didn't run perfectly right away. The fact is that putting a turbo kit on your car when it didn't have one to begin with will require a little bit more work. But if you are going to try to make it fast, unique, and fun to drive (or whatever reason you have for modding your car) a turbo is well worth it.

If the turbo kit is installed with planning and done right, it will be just as reliable as any blower car. It just takes some knowledge of installing the kit and patience.

Yes. I would recommend reading a good book on turbocharger construction and theory (Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a great one) for anyone that wants to go turbo. It will help you greatly and give you a good base of knowledge to choose the right kit, and maximize efficiency.

TRBO VNM

I totally agree. if you are building your own kit, there are some bugs and small details to work out. usually with the other kits, the manfuacturer should have performed enough R&D to determine what is needed so the customer knows ahead of time. Unless you have some other custom stuff you are doing with cooling mods like the evans stuff, larger radiator, etc.

I actually didn't even use all the wrap and stuff on my hellion kit. I just put the pads on the pipes that go under the rack boots and the heat shield on the turbo.

the next car I plan to coat the exhaust housing and hope to not even use the heat shield. I think it will look better, but I understand I might have to put it on after going through some heat cycles or just trying to keep heat in the turbo. I am having the piping coated as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
the next car I plan to coat the exhaust housing and hope to not even use the heat shield. I think it will look better, but I understand I might have to put it on after going through some heat cycles or just trying to keep heat in the turbo. I am having the piping coated as well.

Smart man. Get everything coated and use heatshields on the hotside as much as you can. You will notice a difference in driveability and underhood temps will be lower.

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
Yeah...the only thing I ended up wrapping was my downpipe, because on the SN95 5.0s it fits very tightly next to the starter and a few wires, and it made a huge difference in underhood temps. Other than that, I put heat boots on each plug wire, and a turbo blanket and have driven thousands of street miles on the car with nothing getting hot and burning (crosses fingers!).

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I just fixed my terminators flaws. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get rid of the wheel hopping IRS. Depending on what kit you get, you can put your car completely back to stock because you didn't have to cut anything if you chose to do so. I sold off my heaton and all that to soak up the costs of the turbos. Really, my car is smooth, solid and does everything better than what it did when it was stock. I wanted to procharge my termi but when the wife gave me the ok to do so, I couldn't find any available, so I went with the turbos. I'm on the stock block and stock trans (input shaft uprgrade). My car looks just like all the other termis (but mine has stripes). It idles smooth, drives smooth, just goes faster.

TRBO VNM

well, I hope to not use a heat shield on the turbo. jury is out, but I like the look without it. we shall see. I never had extreme under hood temps before unless I touched the turbo.

also to add, with the beauty of the turbo, since you aren't in boost instantly or a lot, your gas mileage should go up. mine did considerably.

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
+1 on the gas mileage...mine went up noticably

I also like the look w/o the turbo blanket, but my turbo sits about 1" from my alternator and about 2-3" from some wiring, and without it I am sure it wouldn't be the most friendly environment.

Users who are viewing this thread